SASS Wire Forum

STORY TIME II

Over on the Cartoon Thread, there is a discussion about braille type used on an automobile. Reminded me of my other life.

Before retirement, I worked for a Company that printed products on aluminum foil and sheets, in addition to other substrates.

Story goes that one day we received an order from Portland, Oregon, yeah the one that is burning down,  for Braille signs, for their 

transit stops.   Signs to be printed with english lettering and Braille embossed wording (dots). 

Well, nobody in the office or plant could read Braille, so a person from outside was brought in to translate to the Art Department so 

embossing  dies could be made for the Braille.  So the signs were made, several hundred, one up for each stop. Major project. Rush Job. 

Apparently somebody dropped the ball because the Braille and English didn't mesh. The route signs all had the wrong route numbers. 

Whole project got scrapped.  They would have sent riders to wrong destinations.

That’s funny! I worked for TriMet and I remember hearing about that. Total embarrassment to upper management in power at the time. 

I have worked in rail transit for over 30 years and I have never seen anyone use the Braille signage on any of the rail systems I have worked on. That would be 7 different rail systems. 

It had us shaking our heads too Pat. Have no idea how much that fiasco cost, but It was a pretty penny. 

One up jobs are always big dollars with big numbers. Little numbers add up pretty quick also. 

Oh well, it was only tax payer's money.  Ho Hum

Archived