SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmoke first season

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I noticed that in the opening scene Dillon has a 7 1/2" SAA in a buscadero rig.  I hear two shots.  After about the fifth episode it becomes only one shot. In none of the first six episodes does he have a buscadero rig except in the opening scene, but a conventional holster with  shorter loop over the belt.

Anyone know why Dennis Weaver had a game leg?

I have the entire series on DVDs on order from the local library.  I'll report on further curiosities as I go along.

I’ve been watching Gunsmoke on INSP channel and I’ve always heard two shots in the opening draw off. 

I read somewhere that Chesters bum leg was supposed to make you feel kinda sorry for him. :)

The first ones had Matt walking in Boot Hill.

20 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I've noticed sometimes he shoots first, usually last, and the just one shot.  Great show no matter what 

I guess Arvo Ojala missed sometimes.

JHC :P

Dennis Weaver, aka Chester, thought the stiff leg would add to the persona of his character.  Nothing more than a broomstick handle taped to his leg.  Every once in a while you can see the end of it poking the pants leg.  Many years later he stated how miserable it to wear it and wished he never had come up with the idea.

Can’t remember when/where I heard it but I think Chester’s leg was injured when he was a soldier in the Civil War, supposedly.

• 2 weeks later...

More observations"

Opening sequence when Dillon fires, his thumb is back on the hammer almost instantly.

Opening sequence his Buscadero rig is tied down.  I don't see it tied down ever again.

He has a very interesting buckle on the belt holding his britches up.  Can anyone provide a better picture of it.

In twenty whatever years Milburn Stone / doc Adams didn't age a minute.

Not to hijack the thread...

I enjoyed watching original episodes of  Gunsmoke with my family and extended family every Saturday night.  But I don’t have enough years left to re-watch the whole series.  Can any of you Gunsmoke experts point me to the following episode which I thought was especially memorable?

A group of white men posed as Indians and committed a number of crimes/raids on settlers in the Dodge City area.  Chester and Matt tracked them to their hideout but the bad guys were out on another raid.  Chester asked, “What are we gonna do, Mr. Dillon?”  Matt replied, “We’re gonna kill ‘em, Chester.”

And they did:  ambushed them and killed them all without trying to take them alive;  basically executed them as they rode in.  

Loved it, would like to watch it again.

Which episode was it?

edit:  in deference to the topic, it may not have been  (probably wasn’t) in the first season.

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Saw an episode (1957?) this week that had Ken Curtis as a slick-dressed, no beard, no draw baddie, some 4-5 years before he was Festus.

Is that the one where he swooned a lady and she killed her husband to go with the Curtis character? She then kills Curtis at the end because he was leaving without her!

53 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Is that the one where he swooned a lady and she killed her husband to go with the Curtis character? She then kills Curtis at the end because he was leaving without her!

I think the second time he swooned a lady...He sang to in Have Gun Will Travel...Won her heart...And a lot of trouble with partner...

Texas Lizard

Started watching my Season 1 through 4 DVDs a few days ago.

Yes, Dillon changes rigs and revolvers a few times in year one episodes.  In one he uses a 4" SAA, in addition to the holster rig mentioned.

They also have a hard time figuring out what year it is.  Dillon walks past a grave marker marked 1883 then talks about the Pawnees being civilized to the point of scouting for Custer (KIA 1876).  Of course, the only rifle in town is the 1892 Winchester.

Enjoy 'em.  Don't be too picky.

38 minutes ago, Deacon Henry, SASS #53503L said:

J-Bar season 2 episode 11 No Indians 

I am trying to find a site to watch it no success yet. 

Thank you!!

Can't remember a lot of details except I watched it with my Dad.  I distinctly remember saying to Dad (about the opening shootoff): But the other guy shot first.  Sez Dad:  He missed.

Almost as soon as I posted my last post (too may "posts" in one sentence) I saw an episode...one single episode so far...where Dillon had a 4 3/4 inch Colt, a tied down Buscadero rig, and was carrying a '92 Winchester.

Got a kick out of one episode where a little guy shoots the baddie with a derringer.  Doc is checking the bad guy and comments "It's a good thing he wasn't shot with a  forty five." 

Forgot the episode where Doc is going to kill someone with his old .36 Navy.  Everything is cool except one scene where he is pulling the loading lever down and back rotating to the next chamber and so on.  There is no evidence of anything in the chambers, not powder, ball, wad, or grease.  No percussion caps were evident anywhere.

Considering the time this was airedI suppose not many people would have known the difference, and it added some "action" to the scene, but It annoys me today.

Archived