SASS Wire Forum

Primers trickling back into circulation

Chert Rock Chuck

So I heard yesterday from a friend of a friend at Federal, that a considerable amount of primers were released last week, and more were on the way.Supposed to be coming available in retail locations again at a measured pace very soon.

Having just purchased another press, I’m a bit anxious to get my hands on some smalls. My local guy actually still has 2600 CCI large magnum pistol in stock if you can believe that. 

Has anyone else caught wind of this yet?

1 minute ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I don't think you'll see normal availability and price until sometime next year, and maybe not even then, depending on the results of the election.

I agree.  To date, my regular suppliers are seeing some sparse fulfillment of their backorders.  It's been enough for them to keep their regular customers shooting, but they've been turning away new business to do so.

After going through the same shortage on several occasions primers come back very slowly. When they reach the shelves they are snatched up like candy at Halloween. Stock up when they become available or you won't be shooting much. 

Earlier this week I went to see my MD for annual check up who is also a reloader and shooter.  He mentioned the local reloading shop had Federal SP primers all along at $80.00 a thousand.  Who is crazy enough tp  pay that?

14 hours ago, Deadwood Miner, SASS # 45575 said:

Earlier this week I went to see my MD for annual check up who is also a reloader and shooter.  He mentioned the local reloading shop had Federal SP primers all along at $80.00 a thousand.  Who is crazy enough tp  pay that?

Go look on Gunbroker...going rate of stuff that has actually sold was about $150 for a 1000 primer carton last week. That is just nuts. 

2 hours ago, Amigo said:

Go look on Gunbroker...going rate of stuff that has actually sold was about $150 for a 1000 primer carton last week. That is just nuts. 

Right at this moment there is a brick of 1000 CCI small pistol primers bid up to $285 + shipping on GB.  6 hours 45 minutes to go.  If you're quick, you can get in on bidding or buy now for $300. 

I bought 3k of Federal sp last week at Sportsmans Warehouse for $23.95/k. They had them at opening on Monday , the rest were gone by noon.

Imis Maybe if I had paid more I could guarantee a higher finish in the matches

18 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

I got my shipment of 20k in sat 

how long were you on backorder for those?

23 hours ago, Chertrock Chuck said:

Has anyone else caught wind of this yet?

They are starting to show up.  I signed up with several on-line stores, for them to notify me when stocks are in.  They go fast and usually there is a cap on how many you can buy.  When you get the notification, jump right away, because they won't last long.  Received 10K Federal Magnum SPP Monday.  Standard pre-panic pricing, plus shipping and Hazmat.  I'd prefer to buy from my LGS, but they don't have any.

20 minutes ago, McCandless said:

They are starting to show up.  I signed up with several on-line stores, for them to notify me when stocks are in.

Not in ammoseek (looked just now for Federal primers specifically).

Good idea to sign up with the online stores, hopefully quantities are not so limited that the fees bring the total too high.

Back in April, the industry estimate was for limited quantities to be available  around (not before) September. At that time, there had not yet been five million new gun owners. There had not been "largely peaceful" protests. The election is still a factor.

Good to hear the estimate appears to be about right.

1 hour ago, El CupAJoe said:

how long were you on backorder for those?

Ordered in june

Archived