SASS Wire Forum

CZ Hammer Coach Springs Very Heavy

Cholla

I have been trying to cock the hammers like T-Bone Dooley but there is no way. The springs are so heavy I have to cock one at a time.

I found this thread: 

Did any of you in the thread that were having the same issues ever get it worked out? And, in case I give up, who would be a good smith to send it to tochamfer the chambers and lighten the spring? I would prefer someone in the Prescott-Phoenix area.

5 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I have been trying to cock the hammers like T-Bone Dooley but there is no way. The springs are so heavy I have to cock one at a time.

I found this thread: 

Did any of you in the thread that were having the same issues ever get it worked out? And, in case I give up, who would be a good smith to send it to tochamfer the chambers and lighten the spring? I would prefer someone in the Prescott-Phoenix area.

If you call CZ-USA they'll send you some lighter springs. I see Warden replied with similar advise and he's right. 

Johnny Meadows is in AZ, I'd send it to him or Longhunter in Texas if it were me.

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If you call CZ-USA they'll send you some lighter springs. I see Warden replied with similar advise and he's right. 

Johnny Meadows is in AZ, I'd send it to him or Longhunter in Texas if it were me.

I was hoping I could just drive it to someone and JM moved to Tucson so he's no longer just over the mountain. I will try to call CZ today and see what they say.

As per previous article, stone/file your springs to the weight you want.  A cheap spring compressor from a black powder supply shop helps get springs on/off lock plate quicker. Cut small, test frequent.

Even with thinned hammer springs, the coil lever spring might be too heavy to "T Boone" all three at same time.

A year ago, CZ had only one spring each cataloged for left or right. No mention of "light" or "heavy".

Warden's light spring experience seems to be an annomaly. His video mentions replacing buggered with stock springs. Were the modified/lightened/buggered springs inadvertently reinstalled?

1621430485_RemingtonLifterafteractionMay2020.jpg.bd5f665f44e72ab45547b45fecdf91ea.jpg

I have more old hammer doubles than I can count. Most have low hammers set wide apart that can't be cocked with the T-Bone method.  Of the old ones with tall hammers close together,  most have springs so heavy that they can't be cocked at the same time. This old Remington Lifter is an exception.   Not nearly as easy as my CZ-USA but I can do it without to much effort. 

208337461_LibertylockspringsFeb2029.jpg.c67b6b8ee57bb268de78ede702ed5ace.jpg

I think this is a picture of the right lock out of my CZ-USA Hammer Coach gun in foreground.  The thin spring in Library lock in background.  It looks like the Liberty spring has been reduced by nearly half. And that's about how offen the gun failed to fire.  

I shoot a CZ Hammer Classic.
 Not like T Bone, but I can wipe’em back in one single motion without any trouble.

It’s a box stock gun. Only trouble it’s ever gave me is the collets around the firing pins tend to back off when least expected and cause light strikes.

Archived