SASS Wire Forum

Got Wammied Today

Texas Joker

So I live in central Mo. Took a late lunch today around 1400 and bought gas.

That apparently alerted my bank to the fact I wasn't in the Dallas area visiting hookah lounges and various c stores. The fraud alert showed up for a bed bath and beyond charge.

So my debit card is turned off, I have to wait for $120 ish worth of bum  charges to post before I can contest em. 

But on the plus side at least I got the fraud alert. The bank will likely make me whole but it's still a pain.

I live by simple rules one of em is if it's not yours don't touch it. 

Just venting.

Never, ever, ever use a debit card for purchases.  Credit cards are insured and easier to recover than debit cards, which are tied directly into your bank account(s).

I had a (K)apital card that utterly failed to catch about 500+ yankee inflated dollars, charged to my card, in another state.

Made the call, had the card cancelled, and they re-issued a new one, and later a credit for the amount.

To me, any activity outside your State, if you hardly ever leave/purchase anything out of the State, should be a red flag to stop payment on the card pretty quickly...but I presume it doesn't always work that way.

In my case, the card company never caught on, and I only found out about it when I got my monthly bill, and blew my stack at the charges.. 

I cancelled that card, with that company, as soon as I could.

A really great feature, on my replacement card (from a different company), is having the ability to turn off the card, when you are not using it, so it won't be charged at any time, and turning it back on, when you want to use it. .

Love that feature. Maybe all of them have that feature now....I don't know. 

Yes, I agree...never use a debit card for purchases....I use mine only at the ATM at my bank. 

"You shall not steal" - God...from the best selling book The Holy Bible

W.K.

The card is attached to my account and has the visa logo the rfid chip and the smart chip. The bank kills the card and returns the misappropriated funds.  The big green bicycle Takes about a week to get it all turned around. This all happened in the course of the morning to about 1400. Their fraud people alerted to me being in 2 places at once.

My guess would be a skimmer or rfid reader and the card got cloned as a credit card. 

I prefer to use the  cash I have on hand instead of credit. 

had this happen recently , real inconvenience to be sure , but most always resolved quickly and you will get your replacement card real quick , i did , but not having a second card can be a pain for a day or two , i cut up all my other cards a while back because i didnt use them , ill be getting a second card soon , 

My card was used in an attempt to purchase some home remodeling in a far away state. The person actually talked to the bank and when they said they'd send a code to the phone listed he said he didn't have access to that phone (mine) at the moment. Charge didn't go through and when I went to use it I was denied. Anyway got a new card pretty quickly. 

We belong to a Credit Union and use debit cards. When some yahoo got the number and tried to charge around $800 at Lego Land, they notified us immediately and we had a new card and every thing back in less than 24 hours. 

We rarely use debit cards except for cash at the ATM. Our CC company is usually on the stick, had a few false alarms, the real ones have never been anything major, I always figured someone keyed in a number incorrectly. They called one night to see if I had just made a charge to Match.com. I said nope just been sitting here watching TV with my wife! :lol:

JHC

22 hours ago, Sarge said:

Never, ever, ever use a debit card for purchases.  Credit cards are insured and easier to recover than debit cards, which are tied directly into your bank account(s).

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Archived