SASS Wire Forum

IS IT JUST ME

Or am I just being cranky. 

All of the new rifles I see are just UGLY. Does't anybody make sleek and neat looking rifles anymore. 

What I am seeing looks to me, like a camel with three humps.  Unnatural.

After the Remington/Marlin debacle, I guess I am just depressed.

Hoping Ruger can fix the mess. Two great names defiled.  

41 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

The Ruger M77, the Winchester M70, the Remington 700 are still out there. 

Yeah, I know. But I am refering to the new models being touted to shoot 900 miles to 1/4 MOA 

and take down elephants in your yard. I guess I am just cranky. 

I have to admit there's nothing new out there that I find visually appealing. I'm sure the Ruger PC Carbine is a fine gun, but it looks like a tricked-up 10/22 that spent too much time eating at Rosie O'Donnell's house. Unfortunately the era of nice blued, walnut-stocked rifles is over. It's all about plastics, flat wonder-finishes, Pic rails, lights, lasers, grenade launchers, and the ability to be taken down or folded up and fit in your back pocket. The meaner it looks the more people want it. And yes it absolutely, positively HAS to take Glock or STANAG mags. That doesn't leave much room left for innovation.

2 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I have to admit there's nothing new out there that I find visually appealing. I'm sure the Ruger PC Carbine is a fine gun, but it looks like a tricked-up 10/22 that spent too much time eating at Rosie O'Donnell's house. Unfortunately the era of nice blued, walnut-stocked rifles is over. It's all about plastics, flat wonder-finishes, Pic rails, lights, lasers, grenade launchers, and the ability to be taken down or folded up and fit in your back pocket. The meaner it looks the more people want it. And yes it absolutely, positively HAS to take Glock or STANAG mags. That doesn't leave much room left for innovation.

That is exactly what I am talking about.  Got an email from Springfield armory, the new guys, with a picture of their new offering. I nearly threw up.  Oh well, I don't have to buy them. 

BMC:

Go buy a Ruger #1 in a caliber you like.

Or dip into your retirement account account and get one of those old Griffin & Howe masterpieces.

Life is short.  Enjoy.

Unfortunately it reflects the current consumer market. Everyone wants guns that look like they could be issued to the Navy SEALS. Only us old farts who like to dress up and play cowboy are still buying the old blued steel & walnut guns. And before anyone accuses me of being a Fudd, I own multiple AR-15s and enjoy shooting every one of them. But we've reached a point where it's literally all that's out there anymore, because that's what sells. I never even saw Uberti or Miroku rifles for sale locally until the new I-1639 law took effect here in WA, making it a huge PITA to buy a semi-auto rifle now. Now at least I'm seeing a few nice lever guns on occasion, or at least I was in the pre-COVID days. But no, there is nothing new on the horizon for us fans of sleek traditional-looking firearms. Like you said, even most new bolt guns look more at home in the hands of a Marine sniper than they do a backwoods hunter.

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

All of the new rifles I see are just UGLY. Does't anybody make sleek and neat looking rifles anymore. 

Yup your cranky. To get a pretty rifle now takes a lot of money. Few offerings in factory so customized are more likely to be nice. Kimber does have a wood stock blue offering but still not like a Winchester model 70 high grade from the 70s

i think "being old" has a lot to do with it and 'cranky' might play in as well , im a fan of old wood and steel - most new stuff has to convince me that i got to add to my M16 acceptance and that will take a lot , 

I wanted to go shoot all my guns before I Croak, so I loaded them in the truck and went to the Range but it was closed. I knew a range across the Lake but you had to take a Canoe to get there. Too much weight I guess and it overturned and dumped everything to the bottom. Dang!! Now what to do?? 

I decided to build a rifle cuz I love Walnut and Steel. If I works good I'll build another one. Made a Shotgun too. Works good.

Big (what's got his tongue firmly planted in his cheek) Jake 1001

shoot yer eye out.jpg

fallout 4.jpg

11 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I'm sure the Ruger PC Carbine is a fine gun, but it looks like a tricked-up 10/22 that spent too much time eating at Rosie O'Donnell's house.

I have one and it is ugly. It looks ungainly  It’s all black. The back end doesn’t go with the front end. It just looks all wrong. 
It’s hands down my favorite long gun. It’s accurate. Quick to load and unload. It’s takedown feature makes it convenient. It’s quick to the shoulder and quick on target. It’s fun to shoot and it’s comfortable to shoot, well, once you install a compensator. For a 9mm it does kick. 
The thing is about as sexy as an old boat oar, but I love it. 

But, after saying that about the Ugly Duckling PCC. Most newer guns out there are ugly and it seems “Tacti-Cool” rules the day. 

A few weeks ago I went into my LGS and looked in the pistol display and they had a smattering of off beat pistols and 2 revolvers. 
I said “Man, you guys are running low.”

The clerk said “We got a whole bunch of new bolt guns.” and pointed to the wall to my left. 
Man, it looked like someone got high and built a bunch of bolt guns out of AR parts and left over project parts from a high school machine shop class. 
Metal receivers, bolt handles the size of 12 gauge shells, rails and attachments that looked weapons themselves from Medieval times...weird stuff. 
Was in there this past weekend and those things have all been sold. 
What was in their place were a couple neutered ARs and a few old consignment rifles and lo and behold, a sporterized 30-40 Krag. 

"Ugly" IS the new pretty.

:D

17 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

You are not alone. Most of the new ones I see just make me shake my head and laugh.

JHC

65343416bec3ca6de2f3e0fc88982a42.jpg

Found a 'like new' 1980 production Winchester 94 XTR in the local shop last week.  After a careful 10 second examination it was, "I'll take it!"  Slim.  Light.  Balanced.  Great bluing.  Nice checkered walnut.  It was actually a thrill just to pick it up.

Keep your eyes open. There's still good stuff out there.

17 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Go buy a Ruger #1 in a caliber you like.

For the win!

The Ruger #1 is still the most beautiful modern rifle ever built. Its lines to me are as elegant as a Pennsylvania flintlock, an 1874 Sharps, a Winchester 73, or a Winchester Model 21. 

Well, to add to this thread, the new and only caliber is 9 mm. 

If my memory is not completely gone,  we went through this drill with the 10 mm. 

Then the price of ammunition told the true story. I suppose the FBI has deeper pockets than 

Joe Public.

The "in" thing right now is 8-10" barreled PCC's, which is just a fancy name for an awkward long-barreled 9mm pistol with an attachment at the back that, ahem, is *not* a shoulder stock. The fact that 9mm ammo was (until recently) so plentiful and cheap, and also that nobody yet had one in their gun collection created a huge market for them. Just wait until ATF changes their mind and outlaws pistol braces, and used ones will be spilling off of tables at the gun shows with a really low price on them.

I recently got a call from my Deputy Sheriff neighbor about some dogs on my property. We've got 3.3 acres with a donkey and 3 goats. Plus 2 milk goats in a seperate fenced area. I met him at our fence. He was on duty but had his personal 17hmr bolt gun. I had my Marlin 94 44 mag with the octagon barrel that has some nice wood and he really thought it was a great looking rifle. 

Had a talk with the other neigbor with who owns the dogs. They haven't attacked our animals but it only takes once. So far so good. 

21 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

well I HAD a bunch of nice old rifles , UNTIL the boat sunk in the deepest part of the lake :(

blue steel and walnut matters 

CB 

That must be Lake Tahoe...They pull some guy out...He was at the 1500 foot mark down....Not sure how deep the whole lake is....But if the found him at 1500 foot mark, they might find your boat...Hope the everything was loose in the boat and it tipped over on the way down....Must be a bad feeling to watch your lifes work get lost....

Texas Lizard

21 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

well I HAD a bunch of nice old rifles , UNTIL the boat sunk in the deepest part of the lake :(

blue steel and walnut matters 

CB 

Did the still go too, Bill?

13 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

"Ugly" IS the new pretty.

:D

I have  a few ugly guns, all antiques and all pocket sized.  They are a history of firearms development.

For my own use I don't buy ugly guns and have no need for all the "tactical" crap being hung on everything.

I have a friend with nm-16 platform that must weigh 15 pounds with sights, bipod, piccinosy rails, lights, lasers, and a ton of other garbage.  I'm old enough to remember the M-16 being touted as light weight (about 6 1/2 pounds if memory serves), easy to operate, accurate, comfortable, and all the other stuff.  Marc's rifle is NONE of these except accurate....at ranges I would never consider trying.

It would take me a full semester at college just to learn what all of this is and what it does, and how to use it. and I'd have to hire a gun bearer to tote it all.

I still prefer blued steel and will accept nickel plate on some guns and CCH on some,

I like wood, ivory, gutta percha other traditional materials for stocks and grips.  Almost all of my holsters are leather with a very few ballistic nylon.  None are dandied up with clips and forms, springs and paddles and stuff, and all are as small and thin as I can get them for concealability.

If I can do the jobs that I envision with these  I'll call the Marines to help out.  I'm not going into battle  I did that once and didn't enjoy it a bit.

Now we need a discussion on all the new gee-whiz calibers that are showing up like flies at a picnic.

I bought a new Browning 'BAR' in .300 Win Mag in January, because I wanted to buy a semi-auto before our new BS restrictions took effect, defining all semi-auto rifles as 'semi-automatic assault rifles'. It is a walnut-stocked beauty, with the newer alloy receiver, so it has a 'modern' touch.

About a month ago, I decided to buy a bolt-action .22 to introduce a grandson to shooting, and for myownself. I looked around, and decided on the new CZ 457. I bought the Lux model, with iron sites and walnut stock. I've shot it a couple of times now. It is so pretty I'm still taking it out of the case just to look at it!

I have a VIRTUAL CZ Varmint. Bought it to keep up with Willie Wheelgun. It was used by the previous imagination, and came with scope rings but no scope. I fitted it with my virtual 3 X 9 Leupold scope. Sadly, Willie passed before we got to test drive it.I believe he had a virtual Savage of some sort. 

Ugly or not?

proxy-image(13).jpg

23 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Ugly or not?

proxy-image(13).jpg

Nearly as ugly as the Mossberg 434 'techy' version of their levergun:

https://www.mossberg.com/product/464-spx-centerfire-lever-action-rifle-41026/

A great gulf is set between those who would want to buy one of those and those who would buy the real one.

As a young pard (with an old soul) I take pride in showing up to the range with the only non chassis-based gun there. Even better when it blows sparks!

I think the appeal of the chassis guns is how easy it is to customize them. They're basically all the same gun... just with different options. Its an affordable way for people to pick and choose what fits their body shape and shooting style better.

The point of those guns is to kill, and to kill alone. They were designed to be reliable, cheap to mass produce, and accurate tools on the battlefield. And as practical weapons, they are dang good at that.

I get the appeal of it...  But honestly I'm not impressed by it. Shooting well with a 6.5creedmore and a Tikka T3x doesn't make you an impressive shooter. Just a practical one.

Take a deer ethically at 100 yards with a black powder muzzleloader and you'll get a hi-5 from me. 

Archived