SASS Wire Forum

The dump truck vs the Ferrari

Boomstick Bruce

So as some of you know, I've been running a Stevens single trigger 315 for the last couple years. It has been an absolutely great shotgun but at WV Showdown it decided to stop being a great shotgun... I won't get into it's multitude of problems but let's just say, that 100+ year old gun needs a rebuild, again... For it's own sake, maybe even a retirement...

Our former club president once compared his SKB 100 to my Stevens and said it's like comparing a dump truck to a Ferrari, mine being the dump truck. My dump truck has worked very, very well... Until last weekend...

Well I decided to buy a like new  unaltered SKB 100 from a fellow club member. I love this shotgun! But the only didn't like is how light it was. I knew that was a problem that I know I can resolve.

So today I put fifteen 200 grain 45 bullets into my vise, smashed then into little lead discs, stacked them up and made a roll of them with duck tape that I dropped down the stock bolt hole to add some weight. Worked out perfectly! The SKB weighs exactly the same as my Stevens and actually is better balanced! Now mind you, I still haven't cut the 28" barrels, so when/if I do it will be a little heavy to the rear but I'll counter balance that by filling the void between the barrels with lead shot weighing the same as the cut off piece of barrel then I'll epoxy the end closed.

Once all that is done, I'll rebuild my dump truck (for the 4th time in 4 years) and use it as a back up...

What will happen is that after a couple of years shooting that SKB, you'll start looking for a backup SKB.  In 10 years, you'll find that long lost Stevens shotgun in the back of the gun safe and wonder why you still have it.

I personally find that comparison laughable.  It all depends on the driver.  There are folks out there running Stoegers as fast as SKBs.  there are even a couple of guys running Hammer Doubles as fast as SKBs. 

I figure it's the journey and not just getting from point A to point B in the shortest time possible.  I've shot original Colt 1878 double in 10 gauge.  Also LC Smith 10 gauge,  Parker 12 gauge,   and Remington Lifter in 10 gauge.   Also,  an original Winchester 1887 made in 1887. 

My "cowboy shotgun" is a Husqvarna copy of a Greener, but this year I've been in acquisition mode, and now I have an actual Greener, an LC Smith and a Parker (both in 16 gauge) and the Savage 311 that was my old CAS shotgun. If COVID ever lets up and there are matches again, I don't know how I"m going to decide. Sounds like you made a great acquisition with the SKB. Congrats!

I ran my grandpa's  savage  fox shotgun for the 1st 10-11 years of cowboy shooting,  3 matches a month  and 2 annual matches it was a tank until the right search wore out and I couldn't find parts for it.  Had a Smith weld and shape the old one but was wormed that it would not hold up to the amount of shooting I was doing so I retired it and bought 3 newer shotguns. Still take it out every now and then. It just feels right. 

Rafe 

On 9/29/2020 at 3:45 PM, Ramblin Gambler said:

And I need to know where my baikal ranks too. 

It's probably still a russian tank. 

I bought a baikal to replace my Stevens with last year. Didn't like the fit or feel of it and sold it.

"The best thing about the baikal is it's built like a Russian tank, the bad thing about the baikal is it's built like a Russian tank"

Archived