SASS Wire Forum

Steel targets

Deuce Dynamite

8 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

"This is SASS not bullseye." The standard reply to every discussion about target size and distance for many years.  The other action shooting sports have large in your face targets a step away along with smaller, partial, distant and moving targets yet no one complains that they are "bullseye" matches. They are action shooting matches as are SASS matches.

This doesn't support your original accusation.  No one bitches that it's a bullseye match when the targets are smaller than 20" and further than 4-5 yards.

And fact is, we are not a Bullseye match. Don't kid yourself thinking that there aren't folks out there that want to skew matches in that direction.

I think we get a little of both type matches depending upon where you shoot.  Accuracy can matter more at some matches and the ability to 'run the gun' matters more at other matches.  Some matches reward both skill sets.

Sunday Sharyn and I went to a match that had a stage with 5 standard pistol targets at about 5-6 yards with a ~3 inch by 3 inch 'bonus' target at the same distance.  It also had 5 standard rifle targets at about 12-13 yards, with a ~3 inch by 3 inch 'bonus' target at the same distance.  Five rounds on the standard target, then dump five on the bonus target for a 1 second bonus for each hit.  To be successful you needed to be able to run the first five at high speed, then back off a bit for the 5 round dump. 

IIRC the stage winner shot that in 17.54, with 8 bonuses taking it down to 9.74 total time.

The target size and distance presented to shooters that raise the cry of "they're making it into a bullseye match" have changed over the years. Everyone has their own perception of where that line is. But there is no doubt that you still hear the claim today even with closer and bigger targets. 

Based on many, many of these discussions over the years this is what I've seen. If a good shooter as he transitions to the next target has to hesitate before pulling the trigger to insure that he will hit it, his perception is that the target is to small or distant. It is now considered a bullseye match not action shooting because a split second extra was needed for accuracy. The point where this occurs varies from shooter to shooter. This isn't all shooters but it is true for some.

Thanks all for the advice! I have no aspirations of greatness but would like to get better. Transitions are a weakness of mine. Loading and emptying my coach gun is probably where I lose the most time right now. My chambers are still stock so I need to hone them out a little. Also I have some fake shells to start practicing the loading part. Obviously, until I fix the issues I just mentioned, shooting fast is the least of my worries but shooting is the fun part for me so I wanted to get 5 pistol and 5 rifle targets to set up in the backyard. 

If you have not bought targets, Amazon has all sorts of them and they ship to your door.  I ordered six 20 inch IDPA targets so I could set up 3 rifle and 3 pistol targets.  https://www.amazon.com/KRATE-Tactical-Shooting-Silhouette-Precision/dp/B074TKRRRP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=14JZZAM9DDHFZ&dchild=1&keywords=steel+targets+for+shooting+ar500&qid=1601487978&sprefix=steel+target%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-5

They also have knockdowns on Amazon, so if you get 4 knockdowns  for SG,  you can set up regular stages and work on transitions.   You can also buy stands there.

21 minutes ago, Deuce Dynamite said:

Thanks all for the advice! I have no aspirations of greatness but would like to get better. Transitions are a weakness of mine. 

Don't worry about "greatness" - simply worry about being the BEST Deuce Dynamite you can be.

Other shooters beat me all the time. 

Sometimes I just run into shooters better than me.  It is going to happen.

But the only time I am truly unhappy (win or lose) is when I fail to shoot up to my abilities.

If you shoot at the very top of your CURRENT abilities - then you have done all you can do at a given event.

The scores and placements will sort themselves out.

And then strive with every dry fire session, every practice, every monthly, every match to identify, work on and raise the level of your abilities - if it's within you - greatness will come forth.

Archived