SASS Wire Forum

1911 recoil plug launch!

DeaconKC

A young friend just came by to pick up a recoil plug from me. He just bought a 1911 and it was his first time taking it down. Yup, launched that sucker off his back deck into oblivion. He was saying he felt so dumb, so I informed him there are 3 types of 1911 shooters. Those who have launched a plug, those who are so new they haven't done it yet, and liars.  Thankfully his SA was a regular model and not one with a full length guide rod.

Yep.  Definitely 3 types.  And there's nothing like launching it down range off of the unloading table while disassembling to remove a jam during a Wild Bunch match.  That bad stage then becomes a "cold range."  That happened my first big WB match.  

33 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

It’s the part about launching from his deck into backyard oblivion that makes me sad. At least mine hit the far wall and fell to the floor. 

So did mine, but I still had to buy another one, because I could not find it.

A year-and-a-half later when I moved, I found it as I was moving the furniture. :P

All gun rooms should have a white concave floor where everything will roll to the middle of the room.

I launched an L shaped bracket that's used in an extended mag. I saw it head towards the corner of the room. Looked all over for it multiple times. Driving me nuts. Finally I noticed a dresser drawer open just a crack. It would have to be perfectly aligned to get in there. Open the drawer and there it was. If it had hit at any other angle it couldn't have got inside.

35 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

At least he's not walking around with a checkered welt on his forehead. ;)

Bingo! Happened to me. :blink:

At least I found easily afterwards. :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I launched an L shaped bracket that's used in an extended mag. I saw it head towards the corner of the room. Looked all over for it multiple times. Driving me nuts. Finally I noticed a dresser drawer open just a crack. It would have to be perfectly aligned to get in there. Open the drawer and there it was. If it had hit at any other angle it couldn't have got inside.

Once I launched the striker spring guide from a Kahr pistol into my garage somewhere. I heard it land somewhere, but given that my garage is completely full of crap from one wall to another I held out little hope of finding it. But I got up on a ladder anyway and started searching from the top down with a flashlight. Lo and behold I found it lying on the roof of my Jeep. There were a million other places it could have landed and never been found again.

I never (so far) lost a recoil spring plug from a 1911, but I did do a similar trick on a Luger.  I had just acquired a 30 cal luger and decided to take it apart and give it a good cleaning with mineral spirits then proceeded to blow it dry with compressed air.  Now instead of disassembling the toggle mechanism (pretty simple, really) I had the toggle in my grubby paws and managed to blow the breechblock pin to the land of OZ.  I was in my garage but no matter how hard I looked I could never find the lil darling.  I looked on the internet but nobody had one, so I bit the bullet went to the hardware store and got a drill bit that had a shank exactly the same diameter as my missing pin, ground it to length and installed it.  The drill bit is hardened steel and fits like a glove.  I've put about 60 rds thru the little Hans the Kraut and the toggle has developed no unwanted play.  

A couple of months later I did find a replacement pin in a couple of sites.  Go figure

40 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I never (so far) lost a recoil spring plug from a 1911, but I did do a similar trick on a Luger.  I had just acquired a 30 cal luger and decided to take it apart and give it a good cleaning with mineral spirits then proceeded to blow it dry with compressed air.  Now instead of disassembling the toggle mechanism (pretty simple, really) I had the toggle in my grubby paws and managed to blow the breechblock pin to the land of OZ.  I was in my garage but no matter how hard I looked I could never find the lil darling.  I looked on the internet but nobody had one, so I bit the bullet went to the hardware store and got a drill bit that had a shank exactly the same diameter as my missing pin, ground it to length and installed it.  The drill bit is hardened steel and fits like a glove.  I've put about 60 rds thru the little Hans the Kraut and the toggle has developed no unwanted play.  

A couple of months later I did find a replacement pin in a couple of sites.  Go figure

Make sure you break the edges of the trigger plate with a stone or file, those things are SHARP! Don't ask me how I know...

24 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

I learned the hard way that when taking spring loaded things apart to do it in a clear plastic bag saves a lot of obscenity 

Remington 870 safety springs?

5 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

It’s the part about launching from his deck into backyard oblivion that makes me sad. At least mine hit the far wall and fell to the floor. 

I missed my TV by about 2 inches. 

It went through the gap between the TV and the side wall of the entertainment center and left a mark on the wall behind it.

I've always said that I'd rather be lucky than good.

While in the Navy, one of my duty section leaders related an incident where a new quarterdeck watch was unfamiliar with the  1911 so the secton leader explained  how to field  strip the 1911 then told him to field  strip it himself. Unfortunately, he didn't keep control of the plug and it and the spring flew out into San Diego harbor.

Howdy,

Dont be taking things apart and stuff dont git lost.

I learned this when I was six.

I took apart my stallion six shooter and wanted to see how it worked.

So I pulled the trigger and parts flew everywhere.

So I gathered up all the parts and took apart the other one and 

assembled the first one to match the second and closed up both.

And never told my Dad.

Best

CR

I was prolly oh.....ten or so. Got me the idea to fix a broken clock. SO I took it apart bit by bit trying to see why when wound it just wouldn't run. Wasn't long before I had me a pile o' parts on the table and no idea what went where. Somehow I got the bright idea that if I took mom's clock off the bedstand and went reeelllllslow, paid attention and maybe took notes I could puzzle out what went where.....didn't pan out. When My mom got home from work there were TWO broken clocks on the table.

When I graduated to guns, I made sure I had a book or something to learn from. Helped immensely but didn't quite eliminate lost springs and things LOL. Who knew they put a garage door spring in them there Astra 400 pistols? Shot the bushing clear across the house! Never did fine the pawl spring & plunger out of my Ruger Security Six...didn't even know that sucker was under there! Hadda order a knew one from Ruger. I'd like to say the Ruger guy on the phone in Connecticut didn't chuckle when I told him what I needed because he did. The room at the MP school in Annistion Alabama where they teach people to clean and field strip the M1911A1 pistol had a drop celing peppered with oh, about a thousand holes....the size of a 1911 recoil spring plunfer. Imagine that.

Wild Bunch Pards, mine hit the ceiling in my man cave and almost dropped back down in my hand!  :lol::rolleyes:

Regards

Is there anyone here that HASN'T lost the dust cover indent ball from a '73 rifle?

I heard mine hit the ceiling in the garage, looked for it (while progressively uttering obscene language) at least 45 minutes. Got out the magnet, everything. My gal comes out and asks me what I'm cussing about. I explain that I've been looking for this thing that looks like a BB but is about 1/2 the size. She looks at the floor, takes about 2 steps, bends down, picks something up and says "You mean this"? Then the cussing really began.

It may look awkward, but when you drop something onto a garage floor it helps to get on your knees and get a spider's eye view of the floor instead. Stuff you can't see when looking straight down tends to reveal itself when you're looking across the surface.

One of the garage spiders told me about this trick.

6 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

It may look awkward, but when you drop something onto a garage floor it helps to get on your knees and get a spider's eye view of the floor instead. Stuff you can't see when looking straight down tends to reveal itself when you're looking across the surface.

One of the garage spiders told me about this trick.

A neat trick I learned about a few years ago. If there is something small on the floor and you can't find it, lay a flashlight on the floor and slowly rotate it in a circle. The flashlight beam will hit the screw or spring or primer or whatever it is you are looking for, and cast a shadow.

Works real good.

Archived