SASS Wire Forum

Dear SASSy

Joke 'um

About 20 years ago, I stopped drinking coffee for health reasons.  A few weeks ago, I cheated and bought some Folgers instant.  Having 1 cup after breakfast and another after dinner, I've been through my first jar.

When should I give up and buy a new coffee pot?

Thanks,  Jittery Joke'um

If it was the caffeine that was the issue, I found Costco's de-caf ground coffee ...... ...not bad, when the oncologist had me off the real stuff.

1 hour ago, Joke 'um said:

About 20 years ago, I stopped drinking coffee for health reasons.  A few weeks ago, I cheated and bought some Folgers instant.  Having 1 cup after breakfast and another after dinner, I've been through my first jar.

Thanks,  Jittery Joke'um

Today. 

Maxwell House decaf has a really good flavor. try it in the Keurig pod insert.

1 hour ago, Joke 'um said:

Thanks,  Jittery Joke'um

Day before yesterday. ;)

2 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

Thanks,  Jittery Joke'um

Depends, if you are going to restrict yourself to the choices at the local food store and only two cups a day, you should probably get the Keurig.   

I drink a lot more coffee and have a Cuisinart coffee machine. I grind the beans right before I make a pot of coffee and Amazon has a lot of different kinds of coffee to try.

We’ve had 3 Keurig machines. They all clogged up and I was the designated cleaner. Eventually they couldn’t be cleaned. There must be at least a dozen “How to clean your Keurig Coffee Machine” videos on YouTube. With hard molded plastic tubing the Keurig machine we last had could not be fixed at all. 

I bought a Hamilton Beech Flex Brew 2 Way. It makes single cups or a pot if needed. It is built to be simple and easy to clean the needles when it gets clogged. No delicate parts the have to be accessed in the machine. They twist out easily and reinstall just the same. It was also 1/2 the price of the comparable Keurig when the Keurig was on “sale”.

Trust me, on any brand machine the needle will clog eventually. It is much easier to clean a machine that was designed to be cleaned than try to poke a straightened out paper clip into one with a fixed mounted needle. And, the needle isn’t the end of the clogged area the tubing that feeds the needle will eventually get clogged (= dead machine).

HINT: NEVER leave the K cup in the machine once you have brewed your coffee! Remove the K cup immediately. As the machine cools it will suck up the wet grounds into the needle and they WILL solidify! The HB machine I have, always balks before the grounds get sucked into the tubing supplying the needle, so I clean the removable needle and WaLa back in business. If I could just get my housemate to remove the K cup right away it would probably be a much longer time between necessary cleanings. Then I would just institute a 6 month schedule of removing the needle and cleaning. 

CJ

5 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Call me dense, if you like; but, is this a Joke 'um?

One never jokes about coffee. It would be un-American.

;)

Well water killed 4 keurigs before we got a ninja coffee station. Makes anything from 1 cup to a full pot, and it's designed to be decalcified with vinegar not some expensive "cleaner" sold by the maker.

I know somebody with the cuisinart 

20 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Call me dense, if you like; but, is this a Joke 'um?

Thought it would be an interesting way to float a boring topic.  Judging from the great responses, it worked.  Thanks to all.

Archived