SASS Wire Forum

Ruger please build...

DeaconKC

Now that Ruger has picked up Marlin, what would you dream of them building?

Me, I would love to see them build a Colt Lightning rifle, reworked internally to be tough and reliable.

Ruger, leave Marlin’s designs alone unless you’re replacing crap, like the plastic magazine follower with stainless. Dress up the fit and finish if existing guns. 

For your perusal. A list of Marlin guns, past and present. 
https://gunvalues.gundigest.com/marlin-firearms-co

I still want a double rifle that is affordable in probably 30-06?

Ever since I shot a Holland and Holland in .375 H&H double rifle  it went from a want to a need item.    I know it is unrealistic in a traditional manufacturing setting but if we could get to the moon, I believe it is doable......  Besides I cannot afford the Holland and Holland.

4 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Bring back the 39A in some form.

Och, aye!

Long held a fondness for the 39A, ever since my old and dear friend (rest his soul) used his to outshoot the OSU Rifle Team.

Won a case of beer, as I recall, and immediately donated it back to his fellow classmates and shooters, avoiding any bruised feelings and guaranteeing good fellowship all around.

11 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Och, aye!

Long held a fondness for the 39A, ever since my old and dear friend (rest his soul) used his to outshoot the OSU Rifle Team.

Won a case of beer, as I recall, and immediately donated it back to his fellow classmates and shooters, avoiding any bruised feelings and guaranteeing good fellowship all around.

....... now that's sportsmanship  B)

I want them to produce a quality firearm, like the old Marlins were. 

I want them to have real quality control folks, to make sure no substandard rifles get out the door. 

I want them to use black walnut stocks, like the originals, and not mystery wood.

I want a lever action second to none, in quality, fit, and finish.

I want a real blue on the rifle, and not one that looks like they spray painted it black.

I want the metal, and the wood, to fit precisely, with no gaps.

I want an octagonal barrel option, for the 30-30.. 

I want a model 39-M straight stock version.

I want one in 444 Marlin.

I wand one in 35 Remington.

I want them to produce one in 44 WCF again.

I want them to produce one in 38 WCF.

I want them to produce one in 32 WCF

I want the serial number not to be on the tang, so I can mount a peep sight, if I so choose. 

I don't want to see any warning paragraphs, on the barrel!!! If I want to read, while in the deer stand, I usually take a Louis L'Amour paperback!!!!

I could go on, ad nauseam...maybe I already have!!!!

Come on Ruger....you can do it.  Make Bill and Alex proud!!!

W.K.

42 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I want them to have real quality control folks, to make sure no substandard rifles get out the door. 

I want them to use black walnut stocks, like the originals, and not mystery wood.

I want a real blue on the rifle, and not one that looks like they spray painted it black.

I want the serial number not to be on the tang, so I can mount a peep sight, if I so choose. 

I don't want to see any warning paragraphs, on the barrel!!! If I want to read, while in the deer stand, I usually take a Louis L'Amour paperback!!!!

W.K.

............ and now you what it's like to "want" .........   :P

:ph34r:

On 9/28/2020 at 1:52 PM, Hashknife Cowboy said:

As regulating the barrels of double rifle is as much an art as it is a science its doubtful we'll ever see a double rifle most of us would consider affordable. The closest we came were the Italian made Sabboti rifles imported by Cabelas around 2010. They took some short cuts with regulating the barrels (primarily grinding on individual barrels crowns to effect the POI of each barrel) so they had a rather spotty reputation, that said, one of our Australian members has one and really likes it. The most common ones seen in the US were chambered in 45-70 or 9.3x72 and at the time cost between $3000 to $4000.  

Anyone else notice that QA at all American gun manufacturers took a nose dive about the time everyone adopted that farcical QA programs called ISO-9000?

On 9/28/2020 at 11:56 AM, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Bring back the Marlin Camp Carbine. 

I wanted that too, but since they have a ruger PCC already and it's probably cheaper to make, I don't see it happening.  I've wanted a camp carbine since I was a kid.  The last 2 gun shows I went to I saw one in 9mm and one in 45.  I passed on both, I guess that old desire has faded.  I've already got 3 other pistol caliber carbines (not counting cowboy guns) so I guess that itch has been scratched.  The marlin camp carbine isn't as sexy as I remember. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Anyone else notice that QA at all American gun manufacturers took a nose dive about the time everyone adopted that farcical QA programs called ISO-9000?

I did not, but I don't see why ISO should make a difference.  They don't require you to change a single thing.  You just have to document it all.  I'm sure it was bean counters cutting benefits that caused the problems. 

1 minute ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I did not, but I don't see why ISO should make a difference.  They don't require you to change a single thing.  You just have to document it all.  I'm sure it was bean counters cutting benefits that caused the problems. 

Yes, ISO only requires that you follow your own QA procedures. If you water down your procedures then follow them you are abiding by ISO standards. In my industry I have seen this numerous times. The S&W rep that I was chewing on a few months ago proudly announced they comply with ISO-9000. I told him that this info didn't impress me at all.

20 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I could go on, ad nauseam...maybe I already have!!!!

Come on Ruger....you can do it.  Make Bill and Alex proud!!!

W.K.

Shouldn't cost more than a couple grand msrp!   You're better off finding an original on Gunbroker, etc.

On 9/28/2020 at 9:56 AM, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Bring back the Marlin Camp Carbine. 

Unfortunately if they did it would have to have Picatinny rails everywhere, a polymer stock, Ninja black finish, and take Glock mags. The original birchwood-stocked ones were neat, but none of the cool kids these days want something like that anymore.

6 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Would someone out there care to inform us muggles as to what "ISO-9000" means?  While you're at it, what is a "QA program"?  I've got "QC" as Quality Control, but QA loses me.

Thanks,

Angus

Quality Assurance program.

On 9/28/2020 at 11:21 AM, July Smith said:

Just drop the ugly wart of a cross bolt safety from the existing line of Marlin lever guns.

Sorry mine are hunting guns and I like that safety. Working the lever would scare every deer within shooting range here in Pa and way to many hammers have dropped because of frozen fingers and gloves leading to deadly results 

On 9/29/2020 at 4:52 AM, Hashknife Cowboy said:

Ever since I shot a Holland and Holland in .375 H&H double rifle  it went from a want to a need item.    I know it is unrealistic in a traditional manufacturing setting but if we could get to the moon, I believe it is doable......  Besides I cannot afford the Holland and Holland.

I have the same dream.

I bought a Baikal DR in 45-70 and had nothing but heart ache.

I then bought a Sabatti DR in 45-70 and couldn't be happier.

Make sure its a later model and the barrels aren't ground down and you will be pretty happy. Mine was $6,000 but I am guessing they will be a fair bit cheaper in the USA?

https://www.sabatti.it/en/shotguns-and-rifles/classic-92-side-by-side-express/

On 9/29/2020 at 8:04 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

We did the ISO-9000 program. There were no base standards from the ISO people. We wrote our own standards how we were going to assure a quality product and then implemented those standards. It was say what you do and do what you say. That's it. The engineers at our company laughed at how easy it was to be ISO-9000 certified.

5 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

International Standards Organization

The UN of quality.

In my view ISO was/is a huge scam. You give me documentation on your manufacturing standards and how you're going to maintain them along with an envelope with a chunk of money and I'll give you a piece of papaer that says you documented your QA program. Boom, you're ISO certified. That's what SASS needs to do. Have a SASS certification program. Ruger, Winchester, Henry, etc send their QA standards to SASS and SASS certifies them SASS compliant. Boom, SASS is rolling in dough.:P

On 9/29/2020 at 2:47 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

Quality Assurance program.

I worked for a company that had a Quality Assurance Program for about a month. Then they changed it to QC.  They didn't like that we shortened it to an acronym.  We never stopped calling it QAP though for as long as I worked there. 

On 9/29/2020 at 1:54 PM, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

This ^^^ and preferably with Ballard cut rifling. 

also I wouldnt mind one in 327 federal magnum either. But i've had a hankering for marlin in 44/40 for a while. 

Start producing the 338 Marlin again.

Also produce 38-55, 40-65 Winchester, 356 Winchester, even if but for a limited run.

How about Marlin 1898 pump shotguns?

No matter what - it will be interesting to watch things unfold.   there is no doubt that Ruger acknowledges the Cowboy Action market.  For goodness sakes, they sell single action pistols with matched-pair serial numbers and a SASS logo - right off the menu.   You dont even have to go to the 'custom shop' to get them.  

If they are breaking down and setting up shop in a new location, and they already have a large following from the cowboy demographic, it makes plenty of business sense for them to offer cowboy lever guns to complement their single action cowboy pistols.  It is a really short step from boardroom to showroom.

They didn't just acquire Marlin out of some misplaced sense of nostalgia so that a small demographic of the American public could reminisce about the good ole' days of cowboy lever guns.  That acquisition was done to make money.   Marlin hasn't lasted 150 years because the XT family of rimfires took the market by storm.    They didn't buy Marlin because sales of the Model-60 was forcing the 10/22 out to pasture.  They did it because Marlin makes lever guns. 

They make them here. 

In America. 

They've always made them here. 

They don't import them from Italy or Brazil or Japan.   Ruger makes cowboy pistols in America - and now they have the ability to make cowboy lever guns - in America. 

One of my biggest regrets was selling off my 336 way back when the AR-15 bug first bit me and I have been holding off on buying another because of the bad rep' that they got from being ill-managed by Remilin.

I'm going to buy a Ruger-Marlin one as soon as they turn the conveyor belts back on. 

Archived