SASS Wire Forum

9mm or 380 for Sister?

Chili Ron

Howdy,

I was asking for a very accurate .380 carry piece.

My sister has a springfield armory .380 which looks terrivical but

has a habit of jamming every trip to the range.

She would like something more accurate and not a jammer.

And she has made a lot of noises about gettin a 9 and keep the 380 or

at least a 380.

Several comments in the other post about 9.

Maybe she could just get a carry 9 that is accurate and no jamms.

To be a little more clear....she lives in da UP and walks her dog(a real dog not a toy thing)

and she is concerned about coyotes.

Best

CR

I have something she wouldnt be able to get very easy.

And might not like anyhoo.

I dont go bad places much anymore.....

One of the softest shooting, most accurate and reliable guns I have ever owned is the Sig 239. Mid size, easy to shoot, it is my primary carry gun unless I just have to have something smaller.

Smith M&P 2.0 was really good for lady friend of mine. Even with past thumb issues she was able to handle well she even cleaned it herself. The shield could be a good option as well. 9mm also opens up a lot of ammo choices but with coyote ball ammo would be sufficient. Another option could be revolver the ruger SP 101 is accurate tough and small enough to carry. In 357 38 could be used and shot shells would hurt coyote enough they would leave. In case doesn't alternate shot shell with hollow point. 

A couple of things to consider.  Why is the Springfield jamming?  Is it her grip strength, or perhaps she's sensitive to

small guns giving greater recoil? If other shooters have tried the gun and found issues, it ought to go back to the

mother ship for repairs.

That said, the .380 is adequate if used right, so a more comfortable shooting pistol giving better accuracy is never a bad thing.

The aforementioned SIG 230/232 are very nice performing pistols, albeit blow-back operated.  Also to consider is the Glock 42. 

The Browning 1911-380 is a wonderful .380, and easy to shoot accurately, plus the 4" barrel brings out the best in the .380 cartridge.

Since it uses the tilting barrel of the Colt 1911 it is easier in the recoil dept. as well.

If you can find and afford the Walter PP in .380, or the PPk in .32, these are nice easily carried pistols, likewise the Colt Government in

.380 is a very nice pistol.

We haven't discussed size, so I'm not sure what 9mm pistols to recommend.  Is she carrying concealed but only when dog walking, or is

it also a Sunday go to town carry gun.

I ask because while there are a number of excellent 9mm micro pistols, many find them as difficult or more than trying to shoot

a blow-back .380 pistol.

I've personally switched to the Glock G43 with +2 magazines for 9 in the gun and an 8 round reload.  I thought the gun was a little hand

grenade with +P 115 gr 9mm, but switching to Federal HST 147 gr reduced recoil and improved second shots significantly. If she's not

as worried about concealment there are so many 9mm mid size guns to choose from, including the Colt 9mm LW or any SIG, Glock or S&W.

The new Glock G48 is very appealing, and besides the factory 10 rd mags, there are 15 round mags that fit within the grip.

So many choices!

Shadow Catcher

3 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I was asking for a very accurate .380 carry piece.

My sister has a springfield armory .380 which looks terrivical but

has a habit of jamming every trip to the range.

She would like something more accurate and not a jammer.

And she has made a lot of noises about gettin a 9 and keep the 380 or

at least a 380.

Several comments in the other post about 9.

Maybe she could just get a carry 9 that is accurate and no jamms.

To be a little more clear....she lives in da UP and walks her dog(a real dog not a toy thing)

and she is concerned about coyotes.

Best

CR

I have something she wouldnt be able to get very easy.

And might not like anyhoo.

I dont go bad places much anymore.....

There is no "right" answer without a lot more information.  How skilled is she?  Are there any health issues that could affect her choice?  How recoil sensitive is she?

I do think that a 1911 type pistol, especially the small ones, is not the best choice for the average shooter since the gun is carried "cocked and locked" or with an empty chamber.

I'd also suggest moving up to something a bit bigger in size if she is going to be out in the woods or other more rural areas.

What size pistol is she comfortable carrying?  A S&W 39 or 59 would be a great gun for her if she doesn't mind the size.

A 9mm Firestar is a reliable, accurate pistol but is all steel and thus a bit heavy, which tames recoil despite its smaller size.

I consider a S&W Shield an excellent choice if she likes its handling.

The list of good pistols is endless.

Duffield

Picking a gun for a woman is really difficult. Some can easily handle a .44 Magnum while others can barely hold on to a .22LR. I have a lady friend who is maybe 105lbs at most, and when I took her shooting she couldn't handle anything except my S&W .22 Compact. This is one of the reasons why Ruger came out with  the .22 LCP, as the .380 version was really popular with female buyers up until the point many of them tried to shoot it. I really wish Ruger would make a .32ACP version.

CR, has your sister had a range master or range staff watch her as she shoots? It almost sounds to me like she might be limp-wristing that .380. Not trying to be insulting, but that is very common with some people and it causes all kinds of jams. She may just need to modify her hold on the gun she has. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

CR, has your sister had a range master or range staff watch her as she shoots? It almost sounds to me like she might be limp-wristing that .380. Not trying to be insulting, but that is very common with some people and it causes all kinds of jams. She may just need to modify her hold on the gun she has. 

This.

Not knowing how experienced she is. Also might make sure the gun is just not dirty. 

As for 9mm's. I would put in another vote for the Sig P938 or the Glock 43X. I prefer the 43X or the 43.

After getting those. The M&P just stays in the safe.

Since nobody over two threads has said it, I will. What about a revolver. A 3"or 4" .38 is easy enough to shoot, and in a steel frame doesn't recoil too much. 

You don't have to worry about cycling the slide, mag problems, stovepipes, or much else. If it doesn't go "BANG", when the trigger is pulled, pull it again. She can train with Mousefart loads, and carry standard ammo.

Yes, I understand the round count is lower than most semi-autos, but 5 or 6 rounds she can shoot, are better than 9,10,12,14, etc that she can't.

If she's dead set on a semi-auto, then your hunt continues. But just maybe....

Take her to a gunshop with a good variety of guns she can try out and an onsite range.  Have her try stuff.  Let her choose.  Don't leave out wheel guns.

If you can find a S&W 65 Ladysmith, they are wonderful shooters. All steel with a heavy barrel, firing Winchester 110 grain .38 Special it is accurate, smooth and a pussycat.

Howdy,

Occasional limp wrist could be it. 

I will mention having a range officer  watch her hold.

She does clean it from time to time and said when someone

put some sort of wonder oil in it, jams went away for a while.

And either mag seems to jam....

She did get a ruger 22 and it runs flawless.  It might be better than nothing.

She might even log in as she knows all about SASS but just no intrest....yet.

Best

CR

A lot of good thoughts.  If she is really set on a .380, a S&W .380 Shield EZ is a very nice choice.  It is also now available in 9mm.

Although I either carry my Glock 26 (with a 19 mag), or my Glock 43X, my wife who is active cowboy shooter, loves her Ruger SP101 loaded with .38 hollow points.  I've put a spring kit in it which has really improved the trigger pull.  It's a little heavy compared to other carry guns, but she shoots it well and is confident with it. 

6 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Hey ya rarely have to appoligize fer what you DONT say.

Best

CR

Tell my wife that! :rolleyes:

Archived