SASS Wire Forum

Short Stroke Kit

Griff

Okay, I've been playing this game a LONG time, and have successfully avoided falling victim to the "I gotta have a short stroked rifle" syndrome!  Well... last nite I promised,  (after being softened up with copious amounts of adult barley pop), that I'd "Seriously" compete next year at Comin' At Cha in the C&B Gunfighter category.  No goofin' off during the stage, and run to the best of my ability.  So, here's my promise to Ringo Fire, Billy Boots and Doc Roy L Pain, next year, be prepared to have a "serious" competitor... no stopping mid stage to discuss the weather, the intent of the stage writer, asking if "you" know which target is next...  No continuing to rack the lever past the 10 rounds wondering why that only works in Hollywood!

If I'm going to spend the year in sin...  "practicing"...   in preparation to delving back into the "speed" game, I'm going to install a short stroke kit in my Uberti 1860 Henry.   Which kit is easiest to install, reliable?  Any other mods I might consider, and what benefits do they offer? 

I "think" my 1851 Colts are competition ready, they have Manhattan Conversions installed, coil hand springs and wire bolt and trigger springs.  -----

Well, obviously you will need to lighten the springs and do a little polishing of the internals. If this is not a newer gun you may have already put enough rounds through that it is slick. I think the most beneficial mod would be to replace the nut behind the stock, but that's just my opinion.:P

10 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Well, obviously you will need to lighten the springs and do a little polishing of the internals. If this is not a newer gun you may have already put enough rounds through that it is slick. I think the most beneficial mod would be to replace the nut behind the stock, but that's just my opinion.:P

It's smooth, has slix springs in it... just the factory mainspring and stroke.  

I’m thinking of doing the same thing. Maybe a 3rd gen kit from http://cowboysandindianstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4

I have a question.  While I was cleaning with the side plates off, the firing pin extension stop fell out and so did the firing pin.  How do you put it back in?

5 minutes ago, PowderMark said:

...I have a question.  While I was cleaning with the side plates off, the firing pin extension stop fell out and so did the firing pin.  How do you put it back in?

in reverse order.  :)

I have had good luck with the Pioneer Gunworks standard short stroke kit. I tried the super SS but it just wasn't necessary for shooting BP and added effort to working the lever with no advantage in speed, due to waiting for smoke to clear anyway.

10 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I tried the super SS but it just wasn't necessary for shooting BP and added effort to working the lever with no advantage in speed, due to waiting for smoke to clear anyway.

What???

Yer kidding... Right??

56 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I have had good luck with the Pioneer Gunworks standard short stroke kit. I tried the super SS but it just wasn't necessary for shooting BP and added effort to working the lever with no advantage in speed, due to waiting for smoke to clear anyway.

I seldom wait on smoke... It can lead to the occasional miss... but where's the harm in that?  ;)

43 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

What???

Yer kidding... Right??

So... what do you think of PGW SS kit?

I have them in 3 rifles, all were easy to set up and I haven't had any problems at all. I always swore I wouldn't do it but after running a rifle with a SS kit for a few years it feels funny to shoot any without. As for waiting for smoke to clear, I am not one of those guys who has 4 pieces of brass in the air at any one time. I run full cases of fg in 44-40.  I mostly like the SS as I have less motion going on with the shorter stroke so it is easier to keep on target.

I suppose I could go a bit faster, but mostly I like shooting with my wife and 2 kids, and am there to have fun. I am thinking my daughter is ready for a SS kit, but then maybe she will beat my times, so maybe not :) She shoots the same ammo I do, a little girl making lots of smoke and noise, just like she likes it. She is the reason I switched to fg, as it tends to make more sparks, and maybe more smoke. 

I know how proud you are. And talented. But you just might consider letting one of the local gunplumbers transform your Henry. Lefty Wheeler or Boomstick Jay. You can't go wrong with either. You won't miss the extra $100-$150. But you also won't believe how well your rifle runs and how reliable it has become.

I've been retired for a while and some of the guys around me have retired also.  My personal suggestions would be Slix lever side springs (need some fitting) and a reduced Main Spring (someone is offering reduced mains springs now).  to go with your reduced Main Spring you'll want a reduced Firing Pin Return spring.  My preference these days for the Short Stroke Kit and Firing Pin & Return Spring is Cowboys and Indian Store.  Super products.  Did business with Jim Lincoln for years. I don't remember whom is offering the Reduced Main Springs.  Might be Shotgun Boogie

You can't do part of the job and expect a Harmonious outcome.

Just as a point of order, the "Generations" thing with Short Stroke Kits is/was a determination of lever throw by Jim Lincoln of Cowboys and Indian Store fame.  The "other" current offering, from Pioneer Gunworks are "Standard" and "Super Short."  Not that it's a big deal.  At one time, some Lustrum ago, there were some "speed" problems between Pioneer "Standard" and "Super" for large bore cartridges.  Same same for Cowboys and Indian.  Those little glitches were resolved quite a while ago and today's Short Stroke Kits are equally fast and smooth whether big bore or small bore.

I run PGW short strokes in my small and big bore .73s.  Love them.

11 hours ago, Griff said:

I seldom wait on smoke... It can lead to the occasional miss... but where's the harm in that?  ;)

So... what do you think of PGW SS kit?

As I'm sure you noticed...I hope... That I didn't quote the section that made reference to PGW. ;)

I should also point out that now all my current match rifles have Boomstick's cut and weld action jobs.  His C&W jobs feel much smoother than either PGW kits and offer a lever throw about the same distance as the PGW super.

44EA7029-6048-407A-9578-2A6A055869AC.jpeg

Got my reduced power mainsprings from the The Smith Shop https://www.thesmithshop.com/

I have Cowboys & indians SS kits in my ‘60 Henry and ‘73. Love ‘em. PGW makes a great kit too, but it won’t work in older Ubertis like mine. Be sure to tell them what you have. 

17 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

17 hours ago, Griff said:

It's smooth, has slix springs in it... just the factory mainspring and stroke.  

I say, I say, that joke just flew right over your head son. Nice boy but  he's as sharp as bowling ball - Foghorn leghorn say | Meme Generator

3 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

I say, I say, that joke just flew right over your head son. Nice boy but  he's as sharp as bowling ball - Foghorn leghorn say | Meme Generator

No, I think he learned that line from me... and over the years I've learned not to encourage him... 

22 hours ago, Griff said:

Okay, I've been playing this game a LONG time, and have successfully avoided falling victim to the "I gotta have a short stroked rifle" syndrome!  Well... last nite I promised,  (after being softened up with copious amounts of adult barley pop), that I'd "Seriously" compete next year at Comin' At Cha in the C&B Gunfighter category.  No goofin' off during the stage, and run to the best of my ability.  So, here's my promise to Ringo Fire, Billy Boots and Doc Roy L Pain, next year, be prepared to have a "serious" competitor... no stopping mid stage to discuss the weather, the intent of the stage writer, asking if "you" know which target is next...  No continuing to rack the lever past the 10 rounds wondering why that only works in Hollywood!

Horse $#!t !

51 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Horse $#!t !

Ahhhh... don't sugar-coat it, tell us what you really think!  :P  Come back to America and have the time of your life!  

5 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Got my reduced power mainsprings from the The Smith Shop https://www.thesmithshop.com/

I have Cowboys & indians SS kits in my ‘60 Henry and ‘73. Love ‘em. PGW makes a great kit too, but it won’t work in older Ubertis like mine. Be sure to tell them what you have. 

What's an "older" one?  My Henry was made in 2009.

18 minutes ago, Griff said:

Ahhhh... don't sugar-coat it, tell us what you really think!  :P  Come back to America and have the time of your life!  

Ha... I'm not so sure that they would allow me in! ;)... they may not realize that Clovis is one of the last strongholds of non-liberals in California!

sb

5 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

That's where I got my reduced power springs.  Although the carrier spring won't work in my Henry.  

12 minutes ago, Griff said:

That's where I got my reduced power springs.  Although the carrier spring won't work in my Henry.  

Are you talking about the two (Whisper) springs on either side of the lever? I had to do some minor fitting on mine. 

What problem are you having with yours?

Archived