SASS Wire Forum

New owner!

Boomstick Bruce

I'm the proud new owner of a "saved from the cowboys" SKB 100 (saved until now). Anyway, I can find videos of how to "cowboy" a 92, 73, SAA, etc...

Are there any videos of the how to "cowboy" the SKB? Really all I want to do is replace the fiber optic bead (what thread pitch is it?), deactivate the automatic safety and replace the springs with lighter ones. I haven't decided if I'm going to cut it, buy barrels already cut or just leave it alone...

I'm doing the work myself...

Where is the challenge in picking up a new shotgun.  Your old double definitely kept you on your toes as you wondered what it would do this time when you pulled the trigger.

Good luck with the SKB, it looks fantastic.

There are some things best left to the pros...For CAS, it's a tool, it will get banged up. You can't keep it pristine. Just face it, if you want it to help you perform to your best, let a skilled SKB gunsmith work on it for you. I like Fast Eddie but there are plenty of others. 

I'm pretty handy when it comes to working on guns. Much of the internal parts of my single trigger 315 I made myself. Really other than funneling the chambers, possibly cutting the barrels and polishing all the moving parts (barrel lug, sear engagement, etc), there really isn't much that needs to be done to this gun to suit my needs. Even completely untouched, it's much better than my Stevens. I ordered the shotgun boogie hammer springs and will be installing them once they arrive. If I cut the barrels, I may fill the void with lead shot to add weight to help it open. 

5 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

I'm pretty handy when it comes to working on guns. Much of the internal parts of my single trigger 315 I made myself. Really other than funneling the chambers, possibly cutting the barrels and polishing all the moving parts (barrel lug, sear engagement, etc), there really isn't much that needs to be done to this gun to suit my needs. Even completely untouched, it's much better than my Stevens. I ordered the shotgun boogie hammer springs and will be installing them once they arrive. If I cut the barrels, I may fill the void with lead shot to add weight to help it open. 

Can you convert it from inertial trigger to mechanical trigger?   

9 hours ago, Ripsaw said:

Can you convert it from inertial trigger to mechanical trigger?   

I have no reason nor desire to as I don't shoot super light loads. I shoot Estate super competition 1oz, 2 3/4 dram eq... I get them at Wally world for about $5.50 a box... They reset the trigger just fine. Nice thing about this shotgun is even though it originally weighed less than the Stevens, it has less felt recoil. Especially now that I've added a good bit of weight to the stock.

But, to answer your question, I've already had this shotgun completely apart and put back together. Converting it to mechanical triggers looks pretty simple really. In reality, the whole design, in comparison to my 315 that is, it's so simple, it's actually quite brilliant. That 315 looks like a Swiss watch on the inside, this skb is pretty rudimentary in comparison. IMHO....

Archived