SASS Wire Forum

Rumors Galore

7 minutes ago, DocWard said:

A "Rumlin?"

You get the credit, Doc, for sayin' it first~!   ^_^

They would be buying Marlin after Marlin got their stuff together building their guns after Remington mucked everything up. The Marlin 1894CB that I bought a year and a half ago is a reliable and accurate piece of hardware. 

I can see it now...Sturm - Ruger promoting Cowboy Action Shooting by offering good deals on Cowboy guns for revolver and rifle packages. That would be pretty cool. 

Buckaroo package: 2x Wranglers, 39A and a new double SxS in 20 Gauge

Classic package, Vaqueros, new SxS and a new 73

B western: Vaqueros, a new strong 97 and the 94

41 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

They would be buying Marlin after Marlin got their stuff together building their guns after Remington mucked everything up. The Marlin 1894CB that I bought a year and a half ago is a reliable and accurate piece of hardware. 

Yup!  I gave Sassparilla Kid an 1895CB .45-70 for Christmas '18 ~ a nice rifle indeed.  :)

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

A "Rumlin?"

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Or --- A Marger!:P

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Ruglin

How about “Marlin”

Has a nice ring to it, dontcha think? ;)

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

How about “Marlin”

Has a nice ring to it, dontcha think? ;)

Nah... The gun guys and gals will never go for something that simple. Besides, how do you tell the difference between an original Marlin, a Remlin, and a Rumlin without a goofy nickname?

8 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Buckaroo package: 2x Wranglers, 39A and a new double SxS in 20 Gauge

Classic package, Vaqueros, new SxS and a new 73

B western: Vaqueros, a new strong 97 and the 94

If Ruger bought Remington, which got them Marlin, why would they be making a new 73 and a new 97, which are Winchesters? :huh:

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

If Ruger bought Remington, which got them Marlin, why would they be making a new 73 and a new 97, which are Winchesters? :huh:

Did they ever?

I would say “No”.

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I can see it now...Sturm - Ruger promoting Cowboy Action Shooting by offering good deals on Cowboy guns for revolver and rifle packages. That would be pretty cool. 

And IF Ruger would start make'n their SxS again. You could have a SASS package deal with American made guns :FlagAm:

OLG 

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

Nah... The gun guys and gals will never go for something that simple. Besides, how do you tell the difference between an original Marlin, a Remlin, and a Rumlin without a goofy nickname?

Rhetorical?

Marlin, by Sturm - Ruger on the Green near the Round at Ilion ...just kidding. 

Here’s an informative Marlin article:

http://www.whitetailtrackers.com/2018/03/an-illuminating-trip-to-the-marlin-firearms-factory/

Just thought I would throw that in for some interesting reading. 

Yep, gun guys gotta name stuff. ;)

My prediction, after taking a quick look at the current Marlin product line, is that Ruger will keep the rimfire, pistol caliber & rifle caliber lever actions and phase out or eliminate the Marlin rimfire semi-autos & bolt action rifles.  This increases Ruger's presence in the cowboy and lever action hunting rifle markets.  I never got the impression that Ruger's attempts at lever action rifles sold well.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

For Classic Cowboy, I know it would never happen, but I can dream...

31 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I never got the impression that Ruger's attempts at lever action rifles sold well.

I don’t recall ever seeing a Ruger lever gun. 

I’d love to see them bring back the Marlin camp carbine in 9mm and 45acp. 

25 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I don’t recall ever seeing a Ruger lever gun. 

They made a Model 96 in 44 magnum for awhile. It looks a lot like the 10/22 rather than the lever. actions that you are thinking of. I don’t know why it failed it’s a light slick little brush gun. I’m not getting rid of mine any time soon. I shot my last deer with one 

A friend of mine had one of those Ruger .44 lever guns. With one magazine ran like a champ, the other magazine was not reliable. Might have had something to do with it.

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

My prediction, after taking a quick look at the current Marlin product line, is that Ruger will keep the rimfire, pistol caliber & rifle caliber lever actions and phase out or eliminate the Marlin rimfire semi-autos & bolt action rifles.  This increases Ruger's presence in the cowboy and lever action hunting rifle markets.  I never got the impression that Ruger's attempts at lever action rifles sold well.

It would make no sense to not keep Marlin’s entire catalogue of guns. That’s my prediction. They’ll keep it all and probably add some models. 

Pards, 

I know everyone in the SASS world thinks that CAS makes up a big market share for gun companies but the reality is, we don’t. Hell, no one promotes SASS or CAS any more, not even SASS. I can’t tell you all how many times in the past 4 years I have mentioned Cowboy Action Shooting in a gun store or at a range and I have gotten the response “Do they (or people) still do that?”

When people in the gun business think  our sport is dead that is not a good sign. 

Maybe Ruger can revive it? That would be cool. 

32 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

They made a Model 96 in 44 magnum for awhile. It looks a lot like the 10/22 rather than the lever. actions that you are thinking of. I don’t know why it failed it’s a light slick little brush gun. I’m not getting rid of mine any time soon. I shot my last deer with one 

I forgot about that one, Henry. It looked like a handy brush gun for sure. 

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It would make no sense to not keep Marlin’s entire catalogue of guns. That’s my prediction. They’ll keep it all and probably add some models. 

Pards, 

I know everyone in the SASS world thinks that CAS makes up a big market share for gun companies but the reality is, we don’t. Hell, no one promotes SASS or CAS any more, not even SASS. I can’t tell you all how many times in the past 4 years I have mentioned Cowboy Action Shooting in a gun store or at a range and I have gotten the response “Do they (or people) still do that?”

When people in the gun business think  our sport is dead that is not a good sign. 

Maybe Ruger can revive it? That would be cool. 

The Marlin rimfire semi-autos & bolt action rifles will compete directly with rifles that Ruger is already making, so from that perspective it doesn't make much sense to continue producing them.  However if the sales numbers justify it maybe Ruger will decide to keep those guns in production.

The big advantage the Model 60 has over the 10/22 is the fixed magazine for states or localities that want to ban any firearm capable of accepting magazines over 10 rounds.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

And IF Ruger would start make'n their SxS again. You could have a SASS package deal with American made guns :FlagAm:

OLG 

And I would sell my children to buy it! :D

1 hour ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Several chambering offers 96/17 (.17 HMR), 96/22 (.22 LR), 96/22M (.22 WMR), 96/44 (.44 Mag)

Magazines could be interchanged with the 77/series and 10/series.  

Archived