SASS Wire Forum

Ruger bought Marlin!

Clay Thornton

If I'm reading this article correctly, and I would like to think I am, Ruger just bought Marlin as a part of the Remington bankruptcy!  Can't wait to see what Ruger does with this line, and what it might mean for cowboy shooters!

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/remington-asset-bids-revealed-ruger-gets-marlin-vista-gets-remington-ammo-franklin-armory-gets-bushmaster/

Ruger's QC could be the answer to Marlin's decline in build quality decline since Remington took it over.

Thanks Mr. Badly.

In my opinion, if Ruger needs or wants to consult with folks about the Marlin, they have some good choices to choose, like:

Longhunter, Cowboy Carty, some former Marlin employees, Jabez Cowboy, etc.....

As for me, I'd love to consult with Ruger, but it won't happen.  That would be a dream experience.

EDIT:  I'd love to see them revise the model 39A and particularly the 39M.   Both are .22 caliber lever rifles and can

be slicked up rather nicely.   PLUS, they are all steel.

..........Widder

Be interesting to see if Ruger will eventually produce a SASS edition lever gun to go with their SASS Vaqueros. Hopefully with input from those mentioned above to better tailor them to our game.  

So... Will they move production to say, Prescott??? Or keep it where it's at now.

3 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

If they move it expect start up trouble again, just like when they moved out of the Marlin plant. I would expect this to be the end of the great mdl 60.

Who knows. If they went to "cell" manufacturing at the last move, in therory it should be an easy thing to move each line to a new location. Time will tell.

Well Ruger hasn't given me a call yet asking for my approval, and since I am one of the major stockholders in Ruger (I have 8 of their guns), I'm considering this to be a rumor until further notice. ^_^

Snakebite

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

If they move it expect start up trouble again, just like when they moved out of the Marlin plant. I would expect this to be the end of the great mdl 60.

That would be sad.

I have 2 model 60's and personally speaking, I like them better for my woods rifles than the 10/22.

and I like plinking with them because they are tube fed, 15 rounders.  Great rifles.

BUT, I like the 10/22 for customizing and adding accurate target grade barrels.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

As a retired manufacturing engineer I'd say the success of a move of production to a new location is up to Ruger. The Marlin to Remington woes were due in large part to Marlin's old worn out equipment that required huge amounts of what we call "tribal knowledge" to make acceptable product. IF Remington actually did upgrade the production equipment and processes as they stated at the time a move to a new facility could be relatively painless. And I doubt Ruger management would want to mess up their reputation by cutting corners during a move.

I see this as a big positive. At least this part of Remington didn't go to some investment group that will eventually dissolve it.

Hopefully we will soon see some fine quality firearms coming from Marlin. I hear the ones recently have been better and I hope we can see further improvements and yes, maybe some new models. Yay!

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Thanks Mr. Badly.

In my opinion, if Ruger needs or wants to consult with folks about the Marlin, they have some good choices to choose, like:

Longhunter, Cowboy Carty, some former Marlin employees, Jabez Cowboy, etc.....

As for me, I'd love to consult with Ruger, but it won't happen.  That would be a dream experience.

EDIT:  I'd love to see them revise the model 39A and particularly the 39M.   Both are .22 caliber lever rifles and can

be slicked up rather nicely.   PLUS, they are all steel.

..........Widder

Can a older model 39A be slicked up pretty good? I’ve got one but it’s not anything close to resembling smooth. 

Kajun

1 hour ago, Doc X said:

As a retired manufacturing engineer I'd say the success of a move of production to a new location is up to Ruger. The Marlin to Remington woes were due in large part to Marlin's old worn out equipment that required huge amounts of what we call "tribal knowledge" to make acceptable product. IF Remington actually did upgrade the production equipment and processes as they stated at the time a move to a new facility could be relatively painless. And I doubt Ruger management would want to mess up their reputation by cutting corners during a move.

Don't forget that Remmy refused to hire any of the Marlin crew.

The Remy 'bean-counters' are a big cause of the QC issues.

OLG 

Look up RGR.

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Don't forget that Remmy refused to hire any of the Marlin crew.

The Remy 'bean-counters' are a big cause of the QC issues.

OLG 

Why hire the Marlin crew?  Remington's mistake was to try to assemble Marlins from the pile of parts inventory that came with the purchase. The crap they turned out until they started manufacturing on CNC machines cost them so much goodwill.  The machines the parts were made on were knackered; so, the tolerances were minute of barn door.   The drawings were loaded with redlines.  The rifles had to be recreated using CAD so that CNC machines could turn out parts with necessary tolerances to assemble rifles wo/hand fitting.  The parts have to be made using modern computer controls otherwise a Marlin rifle would be priced out of the market.  Buffalo Arms is a niche rifle mfg.  I wouldn't be surprised if Ruger evaluated using investment casting for the receivers, etc.

4 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Well Ruger hasn't given me a call yet asking for my approval, and since I am one of the major stockholders in Ruger (I have 8 of their guns), I'm considering this to be a rumor until further notice. ^_^

Snakebite

I am too.  LOL

But also bought several RGR shares in 2007 through 2009. 

They were $8.00 to $11.00 at the time.

7 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Why hire the Marlin crew?  Remington's mistake was to try to assemble Marlins from the pile of parts inventory that came with the purchase. The crap they turned out until they started manufacturing on CNC machines cost them so much goodwill.  The machines the parts were made on were knackered; so, the tolerances were minute of barn door.   The drawings were loaded with redlines.  The rifles had to be recreated using CAD so that CNC machines could turn out parts with necessary tolerances to assemble rifles wo/hand fitting.  The parts have to be made using modern computer controls otherwise a Marlin rifle would be priced out of the market.  Buffalo Arms is a niche rifle mfg.  I wouldn't be surprised if Ruger evaluated using investment casting for the receivers, etc.

Buffalo Arms doesn't make rifles ;)

It was 110% Remmy's doing to put those crap Marlins on the market. No one forced them to, other than poor mgt.

Go to the Marlin Forum and get the facts. Many of the members were Marlin employees.

OLG 

Ruger and Remington/Marlin/TC/etc. have put mfg facilities in a two county area in NC in the last 20 years.

The Remington venture has cycled through many employees and suppliers.  

I look forward to seeing Ruger rebuild quality into the Marlin products.  They finally have some proven lever gun designs to build from.  (That Ruger 96 family was a stinker).

Marlin has a lot of gun models.  Not just lever actions.  I wonder what they will keep and what they will drop.  For example,  why would they make a Marlin 60 when they have the 10/22? 

Companies have been bought just to eliminate the competition.  

13 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Marlin has a lot of gun models.  Not just lever actions.  I wonder what they will keep and what they will drop.  For example,  why would they make a Marlin 60 when they have the 10/22? 

Companies have been bought just to eliminate the competition.  

To be honest when people started talking about the Model 60 I had to look it up. To me it looks very much like the 10/22. My guess would be that Ruger will look at what makes sense to keep, what they can do better, and what is a money loser. I doubt they will drop the Marlin name as it has a strong following. If the Model 60 has strong sales, I imagine it will stay. I would like to see the Marlin 22 lever action return.

Wow.  So much to say on this topic.  I also am a Mfg consultant (clients include a few firearms mfg that will remain un-named here) and my first impression is RUger won't screw up like Remingtoin did.  They'll either keep production in current location and work on QC, or they will integrate into their other locations in a well-managed manner.

The only Marlin I own is a bolt action 22 magazine-fed, that I bought in the mid 1970s.  It's extremely accurate.  My son borrowed it about ten years ago and he hasn't returned it yet.

I'd love to get a Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt, IF it had a steel cresent butt plate like the originals.  I know it's a small thing, but that's the only reason I didn't buy one when shopping for my SASS rifle.

I went to the Great Eastern Show in Harrisburg right after Remington acquired Marlin and started producing them again. They had a Marlin display and the 39A's were using New Haven JM marked barrels. So be very wary when buying newer 39A's.

2 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

I'd love to get a Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt, IF it had a steel cresent butt plate like the originals.  I know it's a small thing, but that's the only reason I didn't buy one when shopping for my SASS rifle.

Yeah, that would make me become a buyer as well.

3 minutes ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L said:

Maybe Ruger can add a harder steel to the '94 carrier/lifter :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

AND..... shape the angle of the timing ramp correctly to help enhance feeding of various OAL ammo.

..........Widder

Archived