SASS Wire Forum

Miroku '73 General Tuneup and Lever Safety Springs

John Kloehr

This thread will track my work slicking up my Winchester (Miroku) 1873 rifle. Other than some minor (really minimal) smoothing, my big complaint is the lever safety spring. I know I can run the rifle faster if I can lighten it up.

Ordered some kits.

I ordered 2 kits from SliXprings (includes Firing Pin and Lever Safety Spring). Since some degree of fitting is required with this kit, figured it was best to just order two sets out of the gate. Also ordered their 12GA shot shell checker just 'cuz I need one.

I ordered 1 kit from Shotgun Boogie Gun Works (includes Firing Pin Spring and Lever Safety Spring). While some fitting is also required with this kit, it does not appear as challenging so odds of screwing it up are lower. Also ordered one of their T-shirts 'cuz it looks cool.

Would have also ordered a kit from Pioneer Gun Works, but that item seems to be discontinued. I will look at their leather lever and butt cover wraps later.

I'll also be doing a general slicking of the gun while I am in there. Actually will likely be in there a number of times.

Anyone with experience doing this or similar work is welcome to offer helpful hints. BTW, telling me I am in over my head and I should have a smith do the work will not be considered helpful. I am keeping the original parts so I know that option will still exist.

For reference, there is a great writeup from MarvinTM (Where did he go? He was a one-thread wonder) that I will use as one of my guides:

More later as the parts come in and as I decide on which kit to try first.

You mentioned Pioneer Gun Works. Were you going to order their short kit as I believe it was discontinued. I purchased a Winchester Miroku off Gun Broker about a year or so ago. Had been slicked up by Navy Arms including short stroke. Curly Bill did a couple of things to it including adjusting the lever safety spring.

48 minutes ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

You mentioned Pioneer Gun Works. Were you going to order their short kit as I believe it was discontinued. I purchased a Winchester Miroku off Gun Broker about a year or so ago. Had been slicked up by Navy Arms including short stroke. Curly Bill did a couple of things to it including adjusting the lever safety spring.

Not the short stroke kit, know it was discontinued a long time ago.

At this time, I know of no stroke kit for the Miroku, but not sure it is needed. First, the stroke is already a bit shorter than on the Uberti. Second, many on here have in general counseled against stroking a rifle until one knows it well. Finally, from my limited experience, I do not think I am fast enough to take advantage of further stroking.

Back to Pioneer, they have a notice on their web site to not send in a Miroku for tuning, they are only honoring warranty work at this time.

I did recall them offering a spring kit for the lever safety a few months ago, but it is not there now.

Sorry I don't have any advice but I wanted to say I hope it goes well. I'll be curious as to how your experience turns out as I bought one of these before I knew anything (well I still don't know anything..). Anyways, when I inquired about slicking mine up I was told to just sell it and put the money into one of the other manufacturers that are easier to upgrade. I plan to keep it but ordered an Uberti all slicked up. Based on your experience I might tinker with my Miroku down the road. Good luck to you bud!

FYI<

SliXprings  makes a replacement trigger/safety spring for the Miruko 73.  And, a firing pin.

See it at Badmanbullets.com

Ol' #4

For what it’s worth, & not trying to hijack, I just picked up a Miroku ‘73 that I eyed on the wall of my local dealer for a couple years. Anywho, brought it home and cleaned and cycled action quitE a bit. The spring on the lever/ trigger safety seemed to “slip off,” cause that linkage vanished (I could barely see it in the stock. I removed the stock and Was able to finagle the spring back over the linkage bar. Just my $.02. As a newb trying to collect my guns it was a lot of dough spent to have an issue Like that, right off the bat & yet to be fired.

3 hours ago, Ol Number4 said:

FYI<

SliXprings  makes a replacement trigger/safety spring for the Miruko 73.  And, a firing pin.

See it at Badmanbullets.com

Ol' #4

From my OP, I ordered two of their kits. Why two? Because I'm a klutz and might not know what I am doing. But since I learn fast, figured two of their kits would be good enough.

1 hour ago, Dirtheadz said:

For what it’s worth, & not trying to hijack, I just picked up a Miroku ‘73 that I eyed on the wall of my local dealer for a couple years. Anywho, brought it home and cleaned and cycled action quite a bit. The spring on the lever/ trigger safety seemed to “slip off,” cause that linkage vanished (I could barely see it in the stock. I removed the stock and Was able to finagle the spring back over the linkage bar. Just my $.02. As a newb trying to collect my guns it was a lot of dough spent to have an issue Like that, right off the bat & yet to be fired.

That would annoy me too.

I cleaned and oiled mine (got out the typical new-gun machining crud), and ran 10 rounds. Cleaned it again. Started ordering tools so I could take it apart and go through it.

I know if I sat down with the rifle in front of the TV and just sat there cycling the rifle while binge-watching all of the Spaghetti Westerns end-trend, it would probably run pretty smooth by then. Except for that damn lever-safety spring.

When I get that deep, I will look at how that spring could get loose, and If my example might be subject to such a fault. The Miroku mechanism is different form the Uberti version and a lot of the know-how in this sport does not translate between them.

Not a hijack at all, the info might help me or others going down this path.

Before you replace any of your springs make sure your lever and carrier spring are not contacting the frame  when the lever is open or nearly open all the way. If they are or one of them is it will make it seem as though the lever safety spring is too strong.

kR

Archived