SASS Wire Forum

1873 Rifle reliability question

DeaconKC

Okay, I have followed several threads here and have a question. Looking at getting one next. So, here is the question, out of Miroku, Uberti, Pedersoli or Pietta, who has the best reputation for reliability out of the box? Also, if warranty work needs to be done, who has good or bad support and parts availablity? Which would be the best choice for a starter gun? If looking at buying a used one, what should be looked for and what should be avoided? Thanks

Are you asking about '73 Rifle or '73 Pistol ?

Because you listed a lot of manufacturers, but I believe only one of them make Both.

24 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Are you asking about '73 Rifle or '73 Pistol ?

Because you listed a lot of manufacturers, but I believe only one of them make Both.

Rifle! I will change the topic, thanks!

Then you've got two choices.... Uberti & Winchester/Miroku

I have both, Personally I prefer the Winchester...... but I do 99% of all my own work

From my experience should you need Warranty Help, Winchester is Really Good,

With Uberti it depends on who the Importer was, but it's normally very good.

The Winchester is probably Closer to being "CAS Ready" out of the Box than the Uberti

But chances are you will want to modify yours for our Sport.... pretty much Everyone does.

For Parts both OEM & Aftermarket.....  Uberti wins Hands Down.

Lots of parts available & plenty of Smiths will happily work on your Uberti

Not so much on either count for the Winchester.

So take Yer Pick........

Quality for the Uberti built will be almost exactly the same between the importers.  Special FEATURES, though, if you want something special, depend on which importer has asked the factory to build in the feature.

Uberti will be more of a kit already assembled.  Lots of speed work can be done, but lots of speed parts are available.

Winchester is having "difficulties" with warranty and parts supply.   But it's more of a nicely working gun right out of box. 

If you have no interest in doing work yourself, maybe a Winchester/Miroku.  If you want to run as fast as anyone can, a Uberti with lots of work.   Neither manufacturer or importer that you buy from will do much "warranty" work, especially once the gun has been tuned to any degree.

Good luck, GJ

I think right now, everyone is having trouble getting parts.  Pretty sure Uberti is pretty much shut down.  Quite a few of the go fast parts for Uberti's though, are made in in the US by several custom shops.

Actually, I know of four choices in a 73.

Originals in good condition can be found for under $1500, no short-stroke drop-in parts, calibers are limited, parts are limited.  I have some an enjoy them for a fun match.

Uberti is the best option: parts, strength, reliability.  I have seen a quality issues on a few.

New Winchester: others know more than me, but I was not impressed with those that I have handled or seen shot in matches.

Chaparral:  run, run fast, do not look back.

Currently have two Uberi 73 rifles and wanted some parts on hand, "just in case." Called Uberti in Virginia and had my parts in 3 days.

The one I have been shooting with APP and smokeless for around four years and have had zero mechanical issues.

Most issues were from the nut behind the stock (Thanks Goody).

I'm only aware of Uberti and Winchester/Miroku currently producing 1873 rifles. 

My two Uberti rifles both out of the box had some brown grease in them that gummed up the action and made the lifters/elevators stick after only a few boxes of ammo.  When I pulled them apart I also found a lot of burrs and metal shavings that may or may have not caused further issues.  A good cleaning and a little de-burring and both Ubertis ran fine. 

My two Miroku rifles both out of the box ran like clock work.  Because of my experience with the Ubertis I did take the side plates off the Mirokus to look at them.  I found no burrs or metal shavings and all the moving parts appeared greased with what looked like white lithium. 

Based of my limited experience with only four rifles I would have to say the Miroku is the better rifle out of the box. 

The Uberti has the advantage of more barrel length, caliber, and stock configurations.  The Uberti also has the advantage of more aftermarket parts and short stroke kits available. 

To my knowledge the only short stroke option for the Miroku is a cut and weld. 

Either way both are fine rifles.  Both are fine out of the box (with a good cleaning).  Both will make great rifles once slicked up by a decent SASS smith.

I'm not a gunsmith, but watching a couple YouTube videos I was able to take my Uberti apart and deburr the innerds and clean the brown grease out in about 1 or 2 hours, depending on how long you oogle at your new baby.  Re-lube with proper lube and reassemble and so far it's run flawlessly, though a bit slower than a rifle with lighter springs and short stroke.  Certainly good enough to get you started in the sport.

Archived