SASS Wire Forum

What is your pick for accurate .380????

Chili Ron

11 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I think she has a springfield Armory .380.

But I have not shot it or even seen it as she lives over 400 miles from me.

I too have a .380 they dont make any more. Dont tell her as she will want it.

She wants my Marlin too. haha.

I looked around the web and didnt find good accuracy compare.

Given the current retail situation it may be a while before any purchase.

She did find 3 boxes of ammo she stashed in her car last Christmas.

She is in a very active club and probably will try the Sig.

They are getting ready to winterize everything in sight.

Best

CR

The Springfield Armory .380’s are based off of the 1911 design. If she want a 9mm in that design she has a few options. 

If she wants something different I would recommend she look at the Springfield Armory “Hellcat”, the S&W Shield and the Glock 48. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The Springfield Armory .380’s are based off of the 1911 design. If she want a 9mm in that design she has a few options. 

If she wants something different I would recommend she look at the Springfield Armory “Hellcat”, the S&W Shield and the Glock 48. 

More like the SA based off P238 which is based off the Mustang design. That's why the mags are all interchangeable.

The Hellcat is very nice as is the P365. The S&W Shield is nice too but the grip has a more pronounced edge along the backstrap that doesn't do as well of a job distributing energy... in my opinion.

I pocket carry a S&W Bodyguard as it is DAO. Don't like striker fired guns for pocket carry. Due to the trigger setup, accuracy is somewhat iffy. The main issue with it is that the small size has barely any easy way to rack the slide. I use a glove to rack it. Been very reliable. I'd recommend the S&W EZ model as it's larger. Use Underwood +P 90 gr. XTP ammo which I believe is about as hot as it gets.

Do not, under any circumstance, consider a Taurus .380. Worst piece of junk I have ever gotten. Took five months for a warranty repair. Just tossed it into the back of the safe and never even tested it. It can sit and rot as would never sell it to anyone.

46 minutes ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

I pocket carry a S&W Bodyguard as it is DAO. Don't like striker fired guns for pocket carry. Due to the trigger setup, accuracy is somewhat iffy. The main issue with it is that the small size has barely any easy way to rack the slide. I use a glove to rack it. Been very reliable. I'd recommend the S&W EZ model as it's larger. Use Underwood +P 90 gr. XTP ammo which I believe is about as hot as it gets.

Do not, under any circumstance, consider a Taurus .380. Worst piece of junk I have ever gotten. Took five months for a warranty repair. Just tossed it into the back of the safe and never even tested it. It can sit and rot as would never sell it to anyone.

Please elaborate which model from Taurus in 380?  The first suggestion that came to mind was the PT-638.  It is a larger frame with longer sight radius than the P238.  A little easier to rack.  Double stack magazine with proper controls to drop it.  The locked breach design helps with recoil and accuracy I think.  Small enough to hip carry, big enough for range use. 

Kahr makes the CW380 with a good trigger that helps accuracy.  She will need strength to rack it.  It gets a bad reputation because people don’t read what the manufacturer wrote.  It needs cleaned and broke in before carrying.  It is supposed to shave the polymer frame.  That is similar to hand fitting but without the cost, then Kahr passes the savings to you.  The P380 is supposed to be more accurate but I’ve no experience with that.  

If she wants a micro with pinpoint accuracy, put a laser on it.  The sight radius is too short for competition targets.  The laser makes it easier for an observer to see what she needs help improving.

Look at extended magazines with the pinky grip to increase control, helping the accuracy.

8 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Please elaborate which model from Taurus in 380?  The first suggestion that came to mind was the PT-638.  It is a larger frame with longer sight radius than the P238.  A little easier to rack.  Double stack magazine with proper controls to drop it.  The locked breach design helps with recoil and accuracy I think.  Small enough to hip carry, big enough for range use. 

Kahr makes the CW380 with a good trigger that helps accuracy.  She will need strength to rack it.  It gets a bad reputation because people don’t read what the manufacturer wrote.  It needs cleaned and broke in before carrying.  It is supposed to shave the polymer frame.  That is similar to hand fitting but without the cost, then Kahr passes the savings to you.  The P380 is supposed to be more accurate but I’ve no experience with that.  

If she wants a micro with pinpoint accuracy, put a laser on it.  The sight radius is too short for competition targets.  The laser makes it easier for an observer to see what she needs help improving.

Look at extended magazines with the pinky grip to increase control, helping the accuracy.

I have the P380, recoil is surprising light for such a small, light gun, far less then any of the blow back .380's I have fired and recoils even less then the Kel-Tec P-32 (.32 ACP).  I'm still in the "break in" period but the gun has not jammed once.  Using factory ball ammo and shooting it off hand it will hit a 3/4 sized steel IPSC target at 50 yards repeatedly, any misses most definitely being my fault.

I also own the PM9 & PM45 and they have been equally reliable and accurate.   I had the MK9, which is an all steel gun and it shot just as well as the PM9, maybe even a bit better, but it was just too heavy for the sub-compact role.  It weighed 24 ozs empty, which is 3 oz more than a Glock 19 empty.

• 3 weeks later...

My late Wife's ccw pistol was a PPK/S (manufactured by Smith & Wesson). It shoots very accurately for me. There are also some Crimson Trace Laser Grips out there for it that I also really like (Wife didn't care for those and perferred her fancy wooden ergonomic grips, so I returned the CT lasergrips). 

Sig 938 is my everyday carry. I have a friend that loves his Sig 238 in. .380

Archived