SASS Wire Forum

‘97 part question Got some answers thanks

Snake-eye, SASS#45097

That is the purpose of the split ring spring located on the mag tube. Does it do anything if it’s missing?

Great feedback thanks all for the info.

As Outlaw G said, it is the spring that activates the safety lock function for the pump action. 

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/97parts.htm

If the spring gets very dirty and hangs up, the action will not open properly.

Yes it does. For general information the only parts that don't interchange between solid frame and take down models are action slides, mag tubes, take down extension, barrel bands, mag plugs. I might have missed something but these are the main and most obvious differences that don't interchange

Is the spring required for proper operation. If it’s missing will that adversely affect the operation of the shotgun. Any advantage to not having in?

It is the necessary shock absorber - but - if it is too "wide" or too strong someone not forcing the slide action forward hard can result in the '97 locking up, not going into battery but not letting you operate the slide either.  If that happens just push forward hard on the slide action and it will go into battery and then will fire.  Probably happens most with folks with short arms or who are not as strong.  I have ground or filed down the width of a couple that had the problem.  It's a little trial and error, but they work just fine and still work preventing hard steel on steel when the slide action is worked.

4 hours ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

Is the spring required for proper operation. If it’s missing will that adversely affect the operation of the shotgun. Any advantage to not having in?

No advantage to taking it out, unless you just like replacing action slide bars that are damaged from pulling out of the action hook. 

I guess you can say it missing will adversely affect the operation:)

I’ve seen the resulting damage on a couple 97s over the years.

Archived