SASS Wire Forum

Making a screwdriver knife

DeaconKC

Okay, I like to tinker. I do not have a screwdriver knife yet and would like to know if anyone has a video or primer on how to make one? Looks like a fun project.

Perhaps would not be exact BUT I would bet that you can find something on You Tube that would get you started iffen you research a few pictures to go with your project.  Not all screw knives are created equal/alike so there would not be an exact pattern to work from anyhows!  Might could even get a few guys to post pictures of their screwknives on here for seed.  Some of these screwdrivers are very artistic and beautiful to look at and I imagine the maker has to supply a lot of the talent required for the end results?

I did try the youtube route, but I guess my search-fu is weak. Maybe some of you folks can post pics of your own for ideas.

Built a couple of these out of stuff laying around the shop.

Blades are cut from heavy duty reciprocating saw blades,the handles are from some mule deer sheds I had,and some brass flat stock for the guard.

The bit is about the right size to handle most of the screws on my Uberti '73s, and the blade is long enough and thin enough to work well as an "un-jammer".

Works really well,and the price was right.

Choctaw

20200926_201505.jpg

Here's one I put together this weekend from an Opinel No 7.  The Opinel knife debuted in 1897, so it's period correct if that matters to anyone, the locking ring was a 1955 addition, but it can be removed as mine has been.  It took less than 15 minutes with a Leatherman.  I figured out some sweet tricks.  PM me if you care to know.  Also, I'd be willing to make these for anyone that wants one, $35 shipped, just give me the driver dimensions you want and what size Opinel you want, I can work with someone wants one of the specialty handles for an upcharge.  All proceeds will go towards my SASS membership fee.

WP_20200928_08_49_29_Pro.thumb.jpg.11a13770baddaed78fc05616a93af718.jpg

WP_20200928_08_48_04_Pro.thumb.jpg.d725f5f818891b53db6a1c101c872cd5.jpg

Archived