SASS Wire Forum

Too Many Flags

Subdeacon Joe

One of the politically active people in Napa, CA I'm friends with on FB posted this shot of the flag in her yard:
119917855_3308269092583031_173578888447962054_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=84a396&_nc_ohc=JZw8R9Oa-YcAX-hyX22&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=16aaf86bec516ef39cd2f5721b6f3576&oe=5F950312

I commented that four is too many and that it was poor taste to fly the political comment flags from the same hoist.  I agree with the message, just not the manner of display.

The official protocol for the Canadian flag is that it always flies alone.  I thought that it was the same protocol for the U.S. flag or, any national flag for that matter.  If it isn't, it should be. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

The official protocol for the Canadian flag is that it always flies alone.  I thought that it was the same protocol for the U.S. flag or, any national flag for that matter.  If it isn't, it should be. 

Most common is US and State flags on the same hoist.  Sometimes add in the municipal flag.  Or the MIA flag.

Personally, I don't like to see more than the State flag flying on the same hoist.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

One of the politically active people in Napa, CA I'm friends with on FB posted this shot of the flag in her yard:
119917855_3308269092583031_173578888447962054_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=84a396&_nc_ohc=JZw8R9Oa-YcAX-hyX22&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=16aaf86bec516ef39cd2f5721b6f3576&oe=5F950312

I commented that four is too many and that it was poor taste to fly the political comment flags from the same hoist.  I agree with the message, just not the manner of display.

If it ain’t your flag pole then your unsolicited opinion is valueless.

Man down the street has a flagpole in his front yard. Has an American flag at the top, and underneath that has a Trump/Pence 2020 flag.

Lady across the street from him also has a flagpole. Has an American flag at the top and underneath that has a USMC flag.

I don't see a problem with either one of them, as long as the US flag is on top.

But I agree that the four is too many. It makes it look like a signal flag lanyard on a Navy ship (or maybe a string of pennants at a used car lot sale), and you don't run the national colors atop a signal flag lanyard.

Tacky looking.

20 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

If it ain’t your flag pole then your unsolicited opinion is valueless.

MY unsolicited opinion is the same as Joe's. And I don't care if it has any value at all.

Furthermore. I do not like the Gadsden flag simply from a stylistic point of view. Mostly just the color.

I fly this one instead. :D

Dont Tread (800x574) (2).jpg

i just know that pole wouldn't last long in our winds.

5 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I saw three big flags in the back of a pickup when I went to town Monday. They were the US, Don't Tread on Me, and Trump Pence. The problem was that they were all the same height. It seemed wrong.

Technically it's ok, as long as no other flag is flown higher than the US flag, and no flag flown at the same height can be flown to the right of the US Flag.

I agree though. Don't like it much.

As to US flag code that display is not wrong however i find it unappealing. As Utah Bob said winds have bent 2 of my poles with only United States flag. On a vehicle display is right fender. Display is US flag is to the right as the flag is displayed meaning the flags right. No other flag should be displayed at a higher level. I fly US flag on my bike right side of luggage rack and USMC colors on the left.

I'm in the minority here I'm sure but I like it! I see nothing wrong with it, I wish she was my neighbor. At least the American flag is on top!;)

So a municipality or citizen only has one flag pole then what? As long as the US flag is on top its OK. Protocol allows one pole and other flags. It's a free country, in theory, let her do what she wants t express her opinion. What are the flag police, an offshoot of the mask police, going to come and arrest her?

Geese! Such passion. Nobody said it was illegal or demanded it be taken down. Some of y’all need to simmer down. I just think it looks dumb. Reminds me of a car dealership. :P

What I was taught in the early 1960s at my dad's VFW Post was that you shouldn't fly more than 3 flags on the same hoist because it looks cluttered and detracts from our national colors. Also you don't use the flag as a prop for advertising because it is disrespectful and demeans the flag.

Custom rather than law or regulation. 

8 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

What I was taught in the early 1960s at my dad's VFW Post was that you shouldn't fly more than 3 flags on the same hoist because it looks cluttered and detracts from our national colors. Also you don't use the flag as a prop for advertising because it is disrespectful and demeans the flag.

Custom rather than law or regulation. 

She's not using the flag for a "prop" or "advertisement" - my interpretation she is showing her support for a good president who loves America. Really, it's no big deal. You or I may not do it for whatever reason, but it seems her heart is in the right place. ;) 

GG ~ :FlagAm: 

Archived