SASS Wire Forum

7mm Remington Magnum

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

When I left Japan (and a few years before leaving the Corps) I picked up two rifles in that caliber from the Exchange and brought them home: A Remington 700BDL and a Weatherby Vanguard.  I fitted both with identical scopes and mounts (I don't remember what kind) and for nine months I shot them all the time.  Some weekends one, then the other on the next weekend, then both on the same weekend.

At the end of my teaching contract I sold the Weatherby for an obscenely large amount, especially considering I could never get that SOB to shoot where I was aiming.

Shortly after moving to Illinois I dumped the scope on the Remington...never did like scopes much and with my eyes I didn't get a lot out of them...and shot it for years with factory iron sights.  Since then I lived in eight states, two foreign countries and hunted what ever I could shoot legally with that rifle.

Around 2010, I stopped shooting it because I just didn't see the need for such a powerful gun.  It still looked almost new and still worked like a rifle is supposed to work every time I pulled the trigger.

I sold it today for exactly ten times what I paid for it in 1974, forty six years ago, and the guy thought he got a great bargain.  I threw in five boxes of ammo and four loose rounds to sweeten the deal.

I'm gonna miss the rifle sitting in the corner speaking to me.

My Remington 700 Dbm in 7mm mag will be the last deer rifle that I will ever sell. As a Pa deer hunter I keep it loaded to 7mm Mauser loads which is plenty for deer. It’s everything you could ask for 

I don'y hunt any more.  My legs tell me not to, and my bum ankle and bunions agree with them.

The guy I sold it to has an elk permit for Montana and a hunt coming up in a few weeks.  He's promised me some meat if he scores.

I passed on, but miss my .338WM. stainless Tikka M695 with it's synthetic stock. It was my go to moose rifle and dangerous game rifle.

Like Forty, my knees won't let me walk anywhere now and while "tout la gang" want me to go with them, I would be just in the way and unable to help get a moose out of a swamp or carry commercial cuts on a pack-frame to get it out.

Sigh!

Miss those good times in the camp.

18990007.JPG

18990008.jpg

18990001.JPG

Archived