SASS Wire Forum

Dumb question

Waymore Loco

I bought this L.E. Wilson case holder for 38 Special. The casing doesn't stick through. As you can see the holder is as long as the casing. 357 Magnum doesn't even stick through. I watched a video that L.E. Wilson put out on how to trim a casing. Theirs poked through and worked fine. I'm confused. Did I get a factory goof or am I doing something stupid?

IMG_20200924_172822.jpg

IMG_20200924_172900.jpg

IMG_20200924_172921.jpg

IMG_20200924_172955.jpg

I'd advise you to go back and watch the video on the Wilson web site again about how to use the case holder in the Wilson case trimmer.

"Explanation of Case Holders and Proper Use"

at site: https://lewilson.com/videos

Start at about 5:30 in the video and watch carefully.

This holder is slow to use.  The fired case is pressed into the holder with an arbor press or a blow from a plastic or wood faced mallet  The rim sets right down into that well, it is not left proud as your second photo shows.  The mouth then should extend just a few thousandths above the steel of the other end of the holder.   A .357 Magnum case cannot be trimmed in this .38 special holder.    A Wilson case trimmer kit is then used to trim the excess length.  A short piece of wooden dowel can be used to pop the trimmed case back out of the holder.

This is a very precise, high accuracy case preparation step.    I will venture to say that very few cowboy shooters ever trim a .38 special case, using any kind of trimmer.  And go further to say this degree of precision capable with the Wilson trimmer is not beneficial to much of any shooting but bullseye target competition.

I would doubt you have a mis-manufactured part.   You just are not using it correctly.  Explain what you are doing if you think you have it correct.   I don't own one of these, so I am going by what is explained in the video.

Good luck, GJ

4 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I have been shooting SASS for over 18 years and have seen no need to case trim. I shoot .38, .357, .44 and .45.

Imis

I have a rifle that won't shoot 357. I have a bunch of 357 brass. Seems like an easy fix cutting them down. 

It would seem easier to trade the .357 cases for .38 special cases on the classifieds.

You are probably right. I like doing things the hard way sometimes. I did trade 250 that I couldn't use for 500 after the fact. So in the end, I didn't really need to trim a 38 or 357. I was just trying to figure out how the equipment was designed to work. 

38 minutes ago, Waymore Loco said:

I have a rifle that won't shoot 357. I have a bunch of 357 brass. Seems like an easy fix cutting them down. 

that's one route

or 

37 minutes ago, Cholla said:

It would seem easier to trade the .357 cases for .38 special cases on the classifieds.

I think i'd go this way. 

26 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

that's one route

or 

I think i'd go this way. 

I did do that. Just trying to learn how this works. 

4 hours ago, John Boy said:

Conversely to the post, my fired rifle brass have been found to not be trimmed - but especially the 45-70 brass needs to be stretched

Hornady brass? They are known to be short out of the box. ( Leverlution);)

Archived