SASS Wire Forum

1873/76 carbine build

Baltimore Ed

Thought that I’d post my completed 1873/76 carbine build here. My donor was an ordinary Stoeger .45 LC carbine that was bought a couple years ago. I had initially decided to build a ‘73 Spanish Contract Carbine but after watching Crossfire Trail this past year decided to also make it a 1876ish Centennial Carbine. The forearm is from an 1876 NWMP carbine thats had a LOT of wood removed. It also has a brass tube inside of the mag tube channel that the 1873 tube fits inside of. The nosecap was a very complicated piece of shadetree gunsmithing to get it to work. The original buttstock was too figured to use so a plain semi inlet one was finished up for the build. The small differences between the two carbine versions are Rafe Covington’s ‘76 centennial has the buttstock cartridge carrier and a plain bbl band while the ‘73 contract carbine has a sling, sling swivels [ one on the buttstock and one on the bbl band] and an exposed cleaning rod.   Just a matter of removing the carrier from the stock, installing the swivel, swapping out the bbl bands, install the sling and screw in the faux cleaning rod. I would have loved to do a real rod but with all the stuff happening in the nosecap and mag tubes there was no room. Here’s my gear for Saturday’s shoot, .45-60 canvas belt, wolfs ears holsters, a nice crown antler handled knife, a uberti 1860 open top conversion and an ASM Schofield. Never shot these in a shoot before, should be ‘more fun than a hog killen.’ They worked just fine in the backyard though.

B47A7FF3-38B2-481F-BDC1-FFD4E9D2BDBD.jpeg

56462595-A42A-42A4-99C3-884D1DCF6EC5.jpeg

B7E33C1C-A3D7-468C-A365-F2FDBC4613A9.jpeg

Thanks for the compliments all. Yes, it’s to fill the extra space in the 1876 magazine channel between the difference of the .45-60 rim diameter and .45lc rim. The 1/2 in brass tube is a tight fit to the channel while the carbine mag tube is not as tight and has a couple of brass shims jbwelded to it on the muzzle end. 

Shot it today at our monthly along with the Schofield and open top conversion. Only had 10 shooters. Was clean for three scenarios but then the bottom totally fell out, we tried to wait it out but gave up and called the shoot. I’ll shoot my ‘73 again next month with it set up as the Spanish military carbine. We’re doing double action revolvers then. I’ll either use my .38 colt new services or .45 hand ejectors. Half a match is better than none. I have driven all the way [125 miles] out there and the range be under 4 inches of water in the past. At the beach you get interesting weather.

Archived