SASS Wire Forum

Keeping a silver hatband in place.

Cholla

I bought a Navajo-made silver/turquoise hatband. It doesn't stay securly in place and I don't want to get crazy with bending it and risk popping a stone out of cracking the silver. My thought is to use black thread to loop over it in a few places to attach it to the hat. What have you done in this case?

IMG_2184.JPG

There’s a product called Fabric Tac that can be used. It’s a clear adhesive made specifically for fabric.  I used to apply a small amount to three or four spots and place the band on the hat.  The adhesive can be peeled off if you decide to change hats and won’t hurt a fut felt hat if you’re gentle with it.

37 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I like the black thread idea. You should only have to do it in one place, (the buckle?) as the band shouldn't move if one place is secure.

Yeah I've done that on a few bands. No damage to either hat or band.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

There’s a product called Fabric Tac that can be used. It’s a clear adhesive made specifically for fabric.  I used to apply a small amount to three or four spots and place the band on the hat.  The adhesive can be peeled off if you decide to change hats and won’t hurt a fut felt hat if you’re gentle with it.

THIS^^^

51 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I like the black thread idea. You should only have to do it in one place, (the buckle?) as the band shouldn't move if one place is secure.

I agree, but I put a loop of thread at the four Quarters just to be sure.

BTW, that's a mighty fine hat band, my friend.  I hope to see it in person someday fairly soon.

2 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

This actually has two "buckles". They are not real but they allow for more adjustment. But, they don't keep anything from loosening up either. I'm thinking four locations with thread should lock it down.

34 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I agree, but I put a loop of thread at the four Quarters just to be sure.

BTW, that's a mighty fine hat band, my friend.  I hope to see it in person someday fairly soon.

Thanks! I agree with the four thread locations. I bought this at an estate sale while working in Show Low last month. I only had five bucks to put as a down payment and then had to run find an ATM and then backtrack to find the sale again. I also bought a few Navajo sashes for cheap.

Come on out to a shoot. A new club is starting up in Chino Valley. Last Saturday was the first match so there was a lot of folks from WRG and YR. Injun Ryder may know more about it. It's at the range on Perkinsville Road. The range operator says he plans on making us a new range right accross from from a new proposed clubhouse. I hope that a "town" gets built for more of a SASS feel.

1 hour ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Had band put on one i was getting reshaped at national western store they had hot glue gun. Not sure if glue sticks were something different than normal craft glue.

Hot Glue stick advantage is instant drying. I’ve used a hot glue gun but only on inexpensive bands and hats.

Just now, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Hot Glue stick advantage is instant drying. I’ve used a hot glue gun but only on inexpensive bands and hats.

I don't know about hot glue here in the AZ heat. It was 97 last Saturday during a match. A black hat is going to be even worse. I remember when Hopi carvers were experiementing with hot glue on their katsina dolls only to have them fall apart sitting in store windows. Maybe I should convince the wife and work to allow me to move back to Mancos!

1 hour ago, twelve mile REB said:

self adhesive Velcro  

I've used four threads at the quarters to keep my officer's hat cord from coming off.  As Allie said, use "buttons, carpets and crafts" thread.  Of course, if you really want to keep the band and the hat on, drive a 60d spike through the front! :rolleyes::lol:

Glued mine on my Stetson, with hot glue.

No more worries.

6 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

So a hat maker tells him what to use and the rest of you are still spitballin'

It is 2020 I guess

Who is the hatmaker?

Archived