SASS Wire Forum

Deer Are Getting Sneaky

Subdeacon Joe

I've seen some pretty good brush piles caught on a bucks head. A good size coil of bailing twine once. Last year Kaya shot a buck that I thought had something caught on its antlers. Nope, just antlers! :o

1 minute ago, Michigan Slim said:

I've seen some pretty good brush piles caught on a bucks head. A good size coil of bailing twine once. Last year Kaya shot a buck that I thought had something caught on its antlers. Nope, just antlers! :o

Well, we all know she is a better shot than you are, Pop. :rolleyes:

Just now, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Well, we all know she is a better shot than you are, Pop. :rolleyes:

Let's not make this personal by bringing facts into this, eh.:P

That reminds me of a young buck who hung around here. I was at my desk in front of the window one day and he showed up with pine boughs in his antlers.

Then, the UPS driver showed up. I asked him if he saw the buck. He laughed and said he thought it was a decoration until it walked off. :lol:

Not a deer to be seen here. They always disappear around hunting season.

;)

I saw a buck running through the woods in Pennsylvania with a green and hunter orange insulated coat tangled up in his antlers. 

It was my coat. It was reversible for hunting...or not getting shot while in the woods  

When I was a senior in high school we lived in the country near the Monongahela River in Greene County, PA. I loved that property. Deer and wildlife everywhere. We moved in there in December. I walked a mile to my bus stop up Brown’s Ferry Road. It was a wonderful walk every morning. 
One thing that I found was all the dogs on the surrounding farms would pack up and chase deer. My dog didn’t get involved in this but he walked to the bus stop with me every morning. 
One morning I heard the dogs over the hillside, barking and snapping. I looked down upon a scene right out of a Jack London novel only the wolves were domesticated dogs. 
A big beautiful buck had run into a huge snow covered patch of blackberry brambles, tree branches and vines. I know because I saw all that trip-trap before the heavy snow fell.   
I told my dog “Boss” to “sic ‘em” and much to my surprise he went after the pack dogs with a vengeance. The pack of dogs ran away with Boss taking up the rear. 
The buck was hung up bad. He was a beautiful big boy with a 10 or 12 point rack. I didn’t take time to actually count the little knobbies that seem so important to some people. 
Anyway, I remember from some TV show that blinding a deer with a blindfold or a sack would calm them and they could be led around easier - Thank you, Marlin Perkins.
So, I took off my brand new hooded, green, insulated waist length reversible parka. The interior was orange so it could be reversed for hunting. 
I climbed into the vines and brambles and got the coat wrapped around the deer’s eyes, head and antlers. The deer was basically suspended on the brambles and his legs couldn’t get purchase. 
I whipped out my big Stockman knife and cut some vines, pulled the deer forward by his antlers, cut some more brambles, pulled the deer forward by his antlers, and so on. 

Once I got him on solid ground then came the dilemma of how to hold him still and get my jacket off him without him freaking out and using those hooves and antlers on me.
I folded my knife with my right hand while holding his right antler with my left. I put the knife in my sheath, yes, it was okay to carry a large sheath knife to school. 

As I started to unwrap my jacket from the buck’s head as soon as he saw daylight he bolted! I thought I had a “hold” on the buck. HA!

I watched a beautiful Stag bound through the woods and up over a knoll with my brand new coat flapping in the wind firmly tangled up in his antlers. 
It was a sight to behold. Black and gray trees. Snow everywhere. A big brown / gray buck running, flashing his white tail...and a green and orange flag waving in the wind as he ran. 

That’s when I realized how cold it was. That’s also when I realized my brand new gloves were in my coat pockets...
I looked down at Boss, who had just returned from chasing the pack dogs and sat not next to my left foot to watch the spectacle. I swear he looked at me and grinned. It was a funny situation. I am sure he grinned. 

Anyway, I had to walk a half mile home to get my other old coat and some gloves. My parents were pizzed. I told my Dad “So what? It was a coat. I got to do something really cool!”

I also got to do something else really “cool” all weekend....cut and stack firewood in the snow. 

The real funny part was that a couple of days later a couple of my Dad’s friends came to visit. They told him about some talk regarding a huge whitetail deer running around with a hunter orange banner in its antlers. They were sure the anti-hunting city folks from Pittsburgh were outfitting deer in hunter orange so hunters wouldn’t shoot them. 

:D

About a week or so ago, I was checking the front mail box trash can and looked across the road and saw two deer along the brush behind the other homes. Decided to sit still and watch what they were gonna do. They paraded back and forth along the edge, then decided to cross the road. Probably two does, one somewhat larger than the other. The smaller one was moving kinda funny, it had some sort of problem with it's right front leg that I  saw when it got close enough. Didn't seem to slow it down any though. They proceeded to go across the lawn area towards the basketball court, and then disappeared into the wooded area beside the small creek there. Just was something to see to make my morning a little more interesting.:rolleyes::lol::blush: 

Archived