SASS Wire Forum

Shipping ammunition

dahoney

Fifteen years in SASS but first time posting in the Saloon.   How can one cheaply and legally ship loaded ammunition?

2EC496A4-F1F7-4714-A806-041B6D6A00C9.jpeg

Thanks 

I see ammunition sold on Gun Broker with shipping charges of $10-$40.  How can they ship so cheaply?   And legally???

9 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Here is UPS instructions.  You can find and print the ORM-D labels from your computer.  It's not cheap!

What he said ^^^^

I shipped 350 rounds of 44s and 45s from MN to Maricopa last year using UPS.  It was around $18-20.  Not overly expensive, but that's the only way to do it unless you take some with you on a plane an even then you're limited as to the amount.  The only issue I had was that the box must have been tossed around as two 100 round plastic boxes were cracked.  The ammo was fine.

30 minutes ago, dahoney said:

Thanks 

I see ammunition sold on Gun Broker with shipping charges of $10-$40.  How can they ship so cheaply?   And legally???

Commercial account with volume discount.  Start a personal UPS account online and you’ll get some discount.  Cheap is relative, most shipping is cheap compared to the current cost of ammunition.

7 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

As I recall the ORM-D requirement was dropped 2 years ago for loaded ammunition.  I have received 4 shipments from different vendors in the last 2 years and none of them were marked ORM-D.   

Yup. 

I thought you were talking about shells for an MK-45 naval gun.

UPS thinks that the ORM-D label is required until the end of this calendar year.  Rather than argue with a UPS clerk I'll just apply the label if shipping this year.

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

So if I put the new sticker on I can ship my son some ammunition UPS Ground? If so how much? 

I shipped 400 rounds of hand gun ammo last October to Maricopa, AZ via UPS from MN.  Can't remember the cost exactly but I think it was a little more than $18.00.  Like Cliffhanger said, weight and distance.  All ammo goes ground.

Where do primers fall in the shipping scheme. May try to peddle some CCI on Gunbroker for the exorbitant prices being paid!

Primers are Hazmat and require a Hazmat license to ship. Not easy to do at all. I suspect some of the sellers on GB have found out the hard way or did it illegally.

So ammo can be shipped under limited quantity haz? Is there a cutoff where it stops being limited quantity and starts being regular ole haz? ie anything over 500 rounds or something like that?

As an example, where I work if we ship out a 1L bottle of dilute Sodium Hydroxide, its limited quantity. Just have to put the white diamond with two black tips on the box and nothing else. But if its a 4L or above of the same concentration, it has to go Haz - full corrosive sticker and registry with the DOT

CFR49 173.63 says cartridges small arms are 1.4d explosives and become placadarable at 1001 pounds. 

173.63 b 2 (iv) max gross weight of 30kg or 66lbs per package. As long as other provisions of b2 are followed they stay ORM-D

1 hour ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

Primers are Hazmat and require a Hazmat license to ship. Not easy to do at all. I suspect some of the sellers on GB have found out the hard way or did it illegally.

So I take it I can't just go to UPS and have a HazMat sticker applied for a nominal charge.

6 hours ago, Snakejaw_Joe said:

So ammo can be shipped under limited quantity haz? Is there a cutoff where it stops being limited quantity and starts being regular ole haz? ie anything over 500 rounds or something like that?

As an example, where I work if we ship out a 1L bottle of dilute Sodium Hydroxide, its limited quantity. Just have to put the white diamond with two black tips on the box and nothing else. But if its a 4L or above of the same concentration, it has to go Haz - full corrosive sticker and registry with the DOT

66 lbs max ORMD

Archived