SASS Wire Forum

Video Request: Cocking Hammered SxS

Cholla

I remember seeing a video posted here a couple of years ago in which the shooter gave direction on how to cock and load a hammered SxS on the clock. I though I had saved it but I guess I didn't. If you know of this video, please direct me to it.

Thank you. That's the one. I searched every combination of shotgun term I could think of but it didn't show up.

2 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Thank you. That's the one. I searched every combination of shotgun term I could think of but it didn't show up.

I searched YouTube for TBone Dooley Shotgun based on memory. 

It's saved in my favorites now. Now I see if I can do this without taking the skin off my palm...

9 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

What shotgun do you have?   

The CZ hammer coach, much like the one in the video you posted a day or two ago.

I started SASS with a Chinese Century Arms SxS, and I studied this video intently trying to follow T-Bone's directives.  Unfortunately, the Century's hammer springs were pilfered off of a 3/4 ton truck, and cocking the hammers just using the palm of your hand just absolutely would not happen.  If I can ever afford a nice hammered shotgun, I'm going to go back and try this method again.  Great video!

2 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I started SASS with a Chinese Century Arms SxS, and I studied this video intently trying to follow T-Bone's directives.  Unfortunately, the Century's hammer springs were pilfered off of a 3/4 ton truck, and cocking the hammers just using the palm of your hand just absolutely would not happen.  If I can ever afford a nice hammered shotgun, I'm going to go back and try this method again.  Great video!

The CZ Hammer Coach springs are pretty stout as well. That's my issue.

35 minutes ago, Cholla said:

The CZ Hammer Coach springs are pretty stout as well. That's my issue.

I've not had a problem with the spring weight on my CZ-USA. 

Here I'm shooting out some 40 shots to test hull styles. I'm using the T-Bone method to cock and open. I'm not swift or good and have witnesses to back me up on this. But it's a box stock gun that ain't been "slicked" and I see no need to. 

39 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've not had a problem with the spring weight on my CZ-USA. 

Here I'm shooting out some 40 shots to test hull styles. I'm using the T-Bone method to cock and open. I'm not swift or good and have witnesses to back me up on this. But it's a box stock gun that ain't been "slicked" and I see no need to. 

@Warden Callaway thanks for a very informative video!

The hammer springs and lever spring on that gun have been lightened.  IIRC it is one of the early TTNs with the extra tall close spaced hammers.

Seeing T-Bone do that in person at a match, the process looks more like a magician waving his hand over the gun than someone actually doing all those motions.

I shoot a CZ hammered 20" and 30" sxs... Great guns.  My technique is alot different with it then say the old TTN sxs.  

I drop my left hand to grab two new shells... While doing that I break the shogun open with right.. Quick movement to eject shells. Then thumb the hammers with same hand.  Usually.. (if all goes well) that is all done when My left gets back up to gun with two fresh shells.  

The only hammered double I have is one of the Chineese JW-2000. Can't cock the hammers before opening because the opening lever hits the right hammer if it is at full cock.

That and they are too short and stiff to just sweep like that.

Archived