SASS Wire Forum

A Good Youth Firearms Primer?

Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619

My sons are middle-aged; we did a lot of bird hunting when they were growing up. I have 12 grandkids, 5 boys amongst them. My senior son-in-law raised his 2 boys and his 3 girls to learn how to shoot. Mostly at the range, some bird hunting. 

Now amongst others I have a grandson who just turned 14. His dad, my youngest son, as I said was raised a shotgunner but in the activities of life has  done little shooting in recent years. So he and my daughter-in-law are enthusiastic that I should introduce him to shooting; marksmanship in general. Especially now with schools closed for 'in-person', we'd like to make it part of a 'curriculum'.

Unlike maybe when I was younger, at 72 I'd like to make it organized, rather than ad hoc, so to speak. I went looking for a bolt-action .22 to start him on; I want a smallbore, and a traditional action. My research led me to the CZ 457. I bought the Lux model; it's a beautiful, accurate rifle. I already love this rifle. I'm going to introduce him on it (I ain't saying I'm giving it to him...).

This 14-year-old is already 6' 3", a tall and rangy guy. He's a real athlete, to boot.

What I'm looking for is a good printed firearms/shooting 'primer', so to speak. A booklet or pamphlet that is real good for firearms handling and safety. This will be the 'book work'; obviously, it has to be concise and interesting enough to engage a (mature) kid of 14.

I was casual in early years. Now I'd like to be more methodical. Also interesting, which is really needed with the school situation.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

NRA's hunter/safety stuff is available online or in print. Would probably be a good place to start.

Most states have a Hunter Safety program that is worth having him attend.  Some would even let Dad or Mom attend too.   Having taught that for 35 years in three states, I know it helped several kids.  One with some range time is the more interesting class.   And yes, a lot of NRA developed material can be found in most classes.

These classes should still come with a real good book explaining safety, ethics, types of firearms and ammunition, conservation, etc.

Good luck, GJ

The Boy Scouts have a Shotgun Merit Badge. The Shotgun merit badge book is a good source of information for your age grandson. You can view the merit badge requirements online that would be covered in the book at https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/Merit_Badge_ReqandRes/Shotgun_Shooting.pdf

Archived