SASS Wire Forum

.45 Schofields in Vaqueros

DeaconKC

Anybody here tried running .45 Schofield in Ruger Vaqueros chambered for .45 Colt? Any problems aside from having to scrub the cylinders to get rid of the short ring?

Howdy:

I started using Schofields many years ago, and have not shot a .45 Colt since.

I've shot them in Vaqueros, USFAs, Open Tops, Cap gun conversions, and have never experienced any problems whatsoever.

--Dawg

I've run schofields in old Bisley vaqueros. cleaned them and run colts through them with no problems

Jasper

Quite a few years ago I tried running Schofield brass in my Ruger Vaqueros but had to give it up. Some of the rounds would not chamber , the slightly larger Schofield rims would catch on the cylinder ratchet. Rather than trim the brass or the ratchet , I just sold the brass and used all 45 Colt. This was in the days before C45S.

Rex :D

When running the shorter rounds in cylinders...you may want to get a slix scraper. I thought I was getting my 357 chambers scrubbed out real good when cleaning with a brush...until I got a slix scraper. I was amazed at how much buildup was left in the chambers.

I use 45 Schofield in four Henry (oops, now three) rifles, a 66 Rifle and a 73.  No problems except length.  My guns required a bullet at least the height of a 200Gr RNFP.  There may be a slight fit problem with the extractor on Toggle Link Rifles.

6 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I use 45 Schofield in four Henry (oops, now three) rifles, a 66 Rifle and a 73.  No problems except length.  My guns required a bullet at least the height of a 200Gr RNFP.  There may be a slight fit problem with the extractor on Toggle Link Rifles.

Actually why I am considering this, is I picked up a used '66 in 44-40. My Vaqueros are in .45 Colt. I am trying to figure out a way to increase the difficulty of loading the wrong ammo into the 66 by error.

I shoot 45 Schofield in my Uberti 1873 Cattleman 45 Colt pistols and they work just fine. I have a friend who shoots Schofield pistols and uses the 45 Schofield cartridges in his 1894 45 Colt Marlin and they work fine.

The only thing even close to a problem that I've had shooting Schofield brass in my Ubertis is when I shot several Schofield BP rounds, then switched to 45 Colt without cleaning the chambers.  The fouling just before the cylinder throat made the Colt brass a bit harder to load.

Of course, the Schofields won't run well (maybe not at all) through the 1866 or 1873 lever action rifle without some mods.  I shoot Schofields in revolvers and Colts in my rifle.

No, the Schofields will never see the rifle! [at least that's whole idea of this]. I am planning that the difference in length might help with noticing a difference as .44-40 and .45 Colt are very close in appearance. Hadn't thought of the .45 CAS even, is it shorter than the Schofield round?

13 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

No, the Schofields will never see the rifle! [at least that's whole idea of this]. I am planning that the difference in length might help with noticing a difference as .44-40 and .45 Colt are very close in appearance. Hadn't thought of the .45 CAS even, is it shorter than the Schofield round?

I've heard of people using the 45 Schofield for single-loading the 1873 from the top.  Supposedly the shorter length makes it a bit easier to load from the top without jamming.  I haven't tried it yet because I don't have any dummy Schofields and I don;t want to try that in the house or yard.

Crud, I wasted what little brain cell stores on trying to figure on Schofields! The .45CS is the answer to what I was looking for! Thanks for bringing this up!

Starline has 250 cases for $73. I probably won't order any til after our move as the reloading bench gets disassembled next week. Anybody used Lee .45 ACP, Colt or AR dies for these?

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Cowboy .45 Spl.  There will be no mistaking them for .44-40.

Yup! I am thrilled about that, also will eliminate having to read every case if they get mixed together.

36 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Anybody used Lee .45 ACP, Colt or AR dies for these?

Lee 45 ACP........yes , certain individual dies depending on bullet profile

45 Colt RCBS...... yes, certain individual dies 
45 ACP RCBS......yes, several thousand rounds with RNFP profile bullets 

45 AR........ no

Dillion 45 ACP......... YES! Have run several thousands using Dillion 45 ACP dies with 45 Colt shell plate on a Square Deal! 

49 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Deacon,

Cowboy 45 Specials are THE answer for .45 Handguns.  Supper cool with 165Gr bullets and even cooler with 130Gr Barnstormers you betcha!!

YUP! I usually load 150-165 of various bullet profiles and lubes. Just  finished Loading up about 2K main match rounds this month.

Okay, looking at Midway, I envision :

Lee carbide .45 Colt sizer die

Lee .45 ACP powder through die

RCBS roll crimp/seating die

Dillon .45 Colt adapter plate

How does this look to you guys experienced with this round?

52 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

Dillion 45 ACP......... YES! Have run several thousands using Dillion 45 ACP dies with 45 Colt shell plate on a Square Deal! 

So let me get this straight ... if I have a square deal with an extra 45ACP conversion set sitting in my storage box (the square deal I bought came with sets for 6 calibers) ... all I need is a 45 colt shell plate and I can load 45 colts with 45 ACP dies? Or would that allow only C45S? 

Lee .45 colt carbide sizing die, Dillon powder die and seating die, Lee .45 Colt Factory Crimp Die.

I cast, coat, and size 160 grain RNFP bullets from a Lee mold.

Makes a really good Cowboy .45 Special round.

I've been using C45S cases for a few years now  with 160gn. pills. They work well in my Vaqueros.

51 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Okay, looking at Midway, I envision :

Lee carbide .45 Colt sizer die

Lee .45 ACP powder through die

RCBS roll crimp/seating die

Dillon .45 Colt adapter plate

How does this look to you guys experienced with this round?

I use a Hornady .45 ACP/.45 AR die set.  

8 minutes ago, El Catorce said:

So let me get this straight ... if I have a square deal with an extra 45ACP conversion set sitting in my storage box (the square deal I bought came with sets for 6 calibers) ... all I need is a 45 colt shell plate and I can load 45 colts with 45 ACP dies? Or would that allow only C45S

You need to use the 45 colt size die as well. The ACP is somewhat smaller and tapered I believe. You can make a roll crimp die out of a 45Colt die to get a roll instead of the taper crimp from ACP.

13 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I use a Hornady .45 ACP/.45 AR die set.  

13 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

You need to use the 45 colt size die as well. The ACP is somewhat smaller and tapered I believe. You can make a roll crimp die out of a 45Colt die to get a roll instead of the taper crimp from ACP.

The mixed die needs is why the strange mix of components. I was advised Colt for sizing and a roll crimp once seated.

I honestly didn't have an issue with the ACP taper crimp. It was strictly a visual thing for me, they always looked like I forgot to crimp em. :) I haven't chrono'd them, but I presume the roll crimp is more consistant.

1 hour ago, El Catorce said:

So let me get this straight ... if I have a square deal with an extra 45ACP conversion set sitting in my storage box (the square deal I bought came with sets for 6 calibers) ... all I need is a 45 colt shell plate and I can load 45 colts with 45 ACP dies?No  Or would that allow only C45S? Yes

You need 45 Colt dies for 45 Colt on a SQD. The Square Deal machines use their own unique dies specific to the machine. You can do C45S on a SQD by using 45 Colt Shell plate and 45 ACP SQD die set! 
now isn’t that as clear as ... mud:lol:

2 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

You need 45 Colt dies for 45 Colt on a SQD. The Square Deal machines use their own unique dies specific to the machine. You can do C45S on a SQD by using 45 Colt Shell plate and 45 ACP SQD die set! 
now isn’t that as clear as ... mud:lol:

Clear as mud ... I have SDB and tool head with 45acp dies for the SDB... seems Im missing a 45 colt set for the SDB to load c45s due to the recommendation/need for 45 colt sizing Die  and 45 colt crimp... SDB used a 4 die Set so it would be: 

Station 1: 45 colt resizing and decap

Station 2: 45 ACP bell and powder 

Station 3: 45 ACP bullet seating

Station 4: 45 colt crimp.... 

all on a 45 colt shell plate for the SDB...

Im not even out of my new 45-70 rabbit hole and I’m already heading down a new adventure (yikes!)... all because my 1858 remmies came with a 45colt conversion cylinder ... and I thought that was a good thing... gotta love this game of ours ... never ending branches and so much to explore and learn! I need serval lifetimes to get to the end of this game of ours!!! Love it!

12 hours ago, El Catorce said:

Clear as mud ... I have SDB and tool head with 45acp dies for the SDB... seems Im missing a 45 colt set for the SDB to load c45s due to the recommendation/need for 45 colt sizing Die  and 45 colt crimp... SDB used a 4 die Set so it would be: 

Station 1: 45 colt resizing and decap

Station 2: 45 ACP bell and powder 

Station 3: 45 ACP bullet seating

Station 4: 45 colt crimp.... 

all on a 45 colt shell plate for the SDB...

Im not even out of my new 45-70 rabbit hole and I’m already heading down a new adventure (yikes!)... all because my 1858 remmies came with a 45colt conversion cylinder ... and I thought that was a good thing... gotta love this game of ours ... never ending branches and so much to explore and learn! I need serval lifetimes to get to the end of this game of ours!!! Love it!

You can use the ACP taper crimp die or you will need to shorten a 45 Colt die to get a roll crimp. Ripsaw had a great post on how to do it. If interested, PM me and I'll see if I saved the info. Just need a belt sander and a small round file or stone to recreate the taper at the mouth. Then sanded to 800 IIRC. I think the length was .875 OA.

That is why I went with the RCBS die, it was the only one that would do a roll crimp on .45ACP. Everything else was a taper crimp or would have to shorten a die.

Archived