SASS Wire Forum

Oldest-living U.S. Marine celebrates 107th birthday

Sedalia Dave

Oldest-living U.S. Marine celebrates 107th birthday

PENNSYLVANIA, USA — At 107, Dorothy Cole is the oldest living Marine, according to the United States Marine Corps.

Dorothy Cole decided to join the Marine Corps after the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941.

4b29ee0a-272f-444f-b902-2895d5faa395_750x422.jpg

Ms Cole, born in 1913 in Waren, Pennsylvania, decided to join the Marine Corps after the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941.

“Everyone was out doing something, the women helping the Red Cross or even in churches they were knitting things. So I decided that I wanted to do something and I would go into the Marine Corps,” Cole said in the video. 

The Marine Corps says during WWII, Cole was a part of "female integration" in what was predominantly considered a male-dominated career field.

Her enlistment, along with others, allowed the Marines to free up personnel to fight the war in the Pacific.

Happy Birthday, Dot! And thank you for your service.

Semper Fi and Happy Birthday Marine. :FlagAm:

My hero dad passed away in 2018 at age 94. He became a Marine at age 17 and was deployed to the South Pacific. He confided in me the bloody battle of Okinawa haunted him for decades in his dreams/nightmares after the war was over. He ended up in China waiting for the 6th Division to be the first to invade Japan's mainland when the atom bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. I reckon I wouldn't be here today if not for the bomb!

Archived