SASS Wire Forum

Attn. All gunfighters

evil dogooder

I need to get input  to see if  this crazy idea I had is worth while. 

A multi day gathering of gunfighters consisting of:

A challenging yet fun Multi day match with multiple gf categories

Side matches with speed/ skill as well as fun stages.  

A charity stage where all proceeds are donated, with the winner getting to choose the next years charity

Classes taught by skilled gunfighters

Gun/ leather/ grip/ gunsmith reps on hand. Maybe steel vendors too 

I know I can get leather and steel vendors there possibly a ruger and a cimarron rep

Open to beginners to experts.  

So what's your thoughts.    I know of several ranges I might be able to swing it at.

Edit to add

So far we have 

Bullet vendor

2 leather companies 

Steel vendor

Clothes vendor

3 Match sponcers

13 jedi,  6 offering to teach

Maybe this could work after all

24 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Ideas such as this always have good merit.   Venue will have an impact on participation (and maybe weather).

But it sounds exciting to me.   

..........Widder

Well, if Widder is interested...COUNT ME IN!:wub::wub::wub:  Again, the venue will be key as far as travel, etc...but I will sponsor/vend/do whatever I can to support your OUTSTANDING idea! :D

Big hugs!

Scarlett

I guess I miss the point...is this any different than a large regional shoot with fewer categories?

I mean, it sounds fun to see a bunch of people (myself included) shooting a category they normally don't.

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Seems like we get more gunfighters every match.  

I'd be interested in what kinds of fhings you would be covering? 

Lots of various things to be advantageous to the GF.   Stuff like:

1.  When the option allows, is it better to use pistols 1st or last.

2. If you have a split pistols stage, is there movements between pistols?   Is there restaging areas available?   Are pistols back to back?

3. Double cocking vs. alternating cocking.   (not talking about double discharging)

4. Is it best to start with left pistol or right pistol........ or is it best to start on the right or left.

5. Rules concerning a pistol malfunction and how to best handle some of those situations without earning a penalty.

6. How to blaze thru a stage when double duelist style is required.

etc...........

..........Widder

2 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

2. If you have a split pistols stage, is there movements between pistols?   Is there restaging areas available?   Are pistols back to back?

3. Double cocking vs. alternating cocking.   (not talking about double discharging)

4. Is it best to start with left pistol or right pistol........ or is it best to start on the right or left.

5. Rules concerning a pistol malfunction and how to best handle some of those situations without earning a penalty.

etc...........

..........Widder

Also

1 proper grip fit

2  roll cock or straight pull

3 holsters

4 transitions to optimize speed

5 lead changes vs cross over

Sounds like a good idea to me. 

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

etc...........

..........Widder

Are you going to try making gunfighter out of folks that have only shot with dominant hand?   My experience,  it took a lot of practice just to hit anything with my off hand.   Then a lot more practice to control and fire with a gun in each hand. It took a year to go from duelist to double duelist to gunfighter.  

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Are you going to try making gunfighter out of folks that have only shot with dominant hand?   My experience,  it took a lot of practice just to hit anything with my off hand.   Then a lot more practice to control and fire with a gun in each hand. It took a year to go from duelist to double duelist to gunfighter.  

Everybody is different.  Some take more time than others.   Ive been shooting with both hands since day one.    Not only since I started sass but since the first day I shot a handgun.  Im willing to work with anyone that's interested in trying it.  Ive been doing it 4 years now in my classes.   Im by no means an expert but I hold my own

Sounds like a great idea, Evil, but I'm sure it would be too far for me to attend.  I would love to improve on my Gunfighter skills.  Would you PLEASE plan ahead to have someone take good video of the classes so that non-attendees could benefit from the lessons?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

I've been shooting with both hands since day one.

I practice gunfighter style every week after my weekly trap shoot (today).
I'm just getting started in SASS, but I want to learn this style.

I carry a pair of 2.8 lb hand weights on my daily walk to simulate holding my Vaqueros.
Due to advancing age, I no longer have a young man's upper body strength, so I have to work at it now.

IMO, it is important to be taught the correct methods early on, so one does not have to unlearn bad habits.

22 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I would want to go to something like this but traveling long distance for a multiday match is not a possibility for me. 

Well then Cram as much as you can into a single day.   

32 minutes ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

Great idea!  But I ain’t driving from sunny Florida to fridgid  Minnesota to do it.

Oh we aren't Alaska we only get nippy here.   It hasn't gotten past -50 in a long time

17 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Same for me. Took me a year to get where I could hit the target with my non dominant hand consistently . Just in the last couple months have transitioned to slowGunfighter. That said, would love an opportunity yo learn from the best!

I would give it a try depending on the when and where. I have moved into Senior Gunfighter but I can hold my own against the youngsters. I am also a Gunsmith.

4 hours ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

Senior Gunfighter

? I didn't know Gunfighter was age based.

AGE BASED CATEGORIES
Age based categories are offered to allow all participants to compete amongst their peers. 
Age based categories carry the following guidelines:
- May use any main match revolver.
- Revolvers may be shot in any SASS legal shooting style – EXCEPT Gunfighter.

I just list as Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter.   Maybe I should be Elder Statesman Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter?  

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

? I didn't know Gunfighter was age based.

It's NOT, but:

"Shooting Style categories allow participants to compete with others utilizing the same 
shooting style (e.g., shooting revolvers one-handed instead of two-handed). In addition, every 
shooting style can also be subdivided by gender, age, and propellant depending on demand 
and sanctioning category mandates"

Same thing with BP categories. 

Sounds like fun, I would be interested in attending depending on location.  Started shooting Gunfighter this past June and even managed to win a local match shooting Gunfighter, which was also my first ever match win.  I have to thank some of my Pards for helping me along the way, Major BS Walker and Cody Maverick, both have been very helpful and great mentors.  It would be nice to have a good day of instruction and I know I would benefit from in-depth instruction and would really like to have a chance to learn from more skilled gunfighters.  I like Widder's list, especially the one on split pistols with movement.  I don't see that much at my local matches and it would be great to cover that in depth.  If it is possible for me to help out I would be wiling.  

3B2838FE-9D53-4D26-A535-A43318933AA2_1_201_a.jpeg

Add another JEDI GF as interested.

And one with a slightly different pistol operation style than most.

Also willing to teach - I'm not necessarily the fastest GF; but I am one of the best at reading, navigating and breaking down stages for the most efficient method of attack.

Archived