SASS Wire Forum

. 38 WCF Load data for Winchester WST.... Anybody?

Silver Sam, SASS #34718L

I've loaded tons of 38WCF  smokeless with, Titegroup (I'm real low on), Trailboss (I'm out of) and Clays (Is all gone too).... and Lots of Real BP & Subs.....

I've got good load data on all of those powders.

Now I need to load up some more Smokeless Cowboy 38/40 Loads,

And looking in my Powder Magazine, I have several lbs of Winchester WST that's just begging to get used.

I suspect it would work very well in 38WCF.... I've used it in 357, 38 spl, 38 Super, 45 ACP and a few others.

But, I'm having a hard time finding any WST load info on 38WCF ........... Anybody wanna share your knowledge?

Published data for .38-40 is a little tough to find.

I'll make a qualified recommendation from having worked with WST for quite a while in .45 Colt, .45 auto,. and Cowboy .45 Special loads,

First, a pretty comparable cartridge is the 44-40.   GMDR site has some tested data for lead bullets in .44-40.  Here's their data as an attachment.

A real safe range from this WST load data for .44-40 and 200 grain cast bullet is 5 to 6 grains of WST.

The similar bullet weight in 38-40 cartridges would be a 180 grain cast bullet.

These two cartridges have a very similar form factor and pressure limits, but the .38-40 is smaller volume.

WST is a little slower burn rate than Titegroup with maybe 6 SG/pistol powders between them.

Based on all this, I'd feel very safe starting your .38-40 load with the 180 grain slug at 4.5 grains of WST.   Then work toward whatever goal you have in mind - lighter, perhaps lighter slug, or heavier with higher powder weights.   A chronograph would be real handy to keep you at moderate (700-900 FPS) velocities.    Reading primers and comparing to what you were getting with Titegroup would be real important.  I find that WST and Titegroup load to almost the same weight to get same performance  in .45 Colt and .45 auto cartridges.   Both are moderate to high-nitroglycerin content double base flattened ball powders.   So, back down 10% or 20% from your favorite weight  of TG and test that for a starting WST load.   Of course, that would be my guess.   For you , it's just food for thought.

Good luck, GJ

GMDR WST in 44-40.jpg

Tex, Thats a good idea, I'll see if they have any knowledge they want to share.

GJ & TFJ, If a call to Hodgdon isn't any help......  I was already thinking that 4.5 gr would be a safe place to start.

So, I believe I'll dust off my Chronograph & make up a few rounds to see what happens.

Wish Me Luck!!!

Well, I did call Hodgdon and their suggestion was "Dont Do It"

He said the case volume of 38WCF is too long & too large for WST

And I would probably get very inconsistent results or possibly worse.

I suspect some of that was "Lawyer Talk" that they are instructed to give out.

BUT, I'll go another route anywho...............

Thanks for the Help !

7 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Well, I did call Hodgdon and their suggestion was "Dont Do It"

He said the case volume of 38WCF is too long & too large for WST

And I would probably get very inconsistent results or possibly worse.

I suspect some of that was "Lawyer Talk" that they are instructed to give out.

BUT, I'll go another route anywho...............

Thanks for the Help !

Wow, 38WCF is not longer or larger than 44WCF and someone has developed loads for it. Good luck and I'm interested in what you work out. You can send a PM if you don't want to post.

Scout

Archived