SASS Wire Forum

SAA Holster for 1860

El CupAJoe

so I have an ASM 1860 Army that I'm thinking about taking the barrel down on and I'm looking for a rig for it.  Are there any problems getting or using a SAA holster for it?  I may retain the loading lever but I may not if I shorten the barrel.  Please Advise.

Howdy El C,

My '51 conversions all fit fine in various SAA holsters for years, then more recently I got a '61 and later '60 conversions, both having the larger chunk of barrel underneath.  That kept them from fitting in most of my SAA holsters, had to find some others.  Only way to know for sure is try, but in general it was a no-go.

My 1860 and 1851 both fit in the holsters I use for my Uberti SAA (7.5" barrel).  The cap guns are a little looser, due to smaller diameter cylinders, but they work.  However, I bought these particular holsters due to historical authenticity, not SASS functionality.  Other holsters may be quicker in matches.

The Pattern 1860/1863 cavalry holsters that were made for the M1860 Colt's and New Model (1858) Remington revolvers with 8" barrels turned out to handle the Colt's SAA.  With the possible exception of barrel length, the patterns for a Colt's SAA holster will take the earlier guns just fine.

EL Cuppo

Look at Ted Blocker Leather.

They developed a unique holster set for Frontiersman about 8 years ago.

It became known as the model "Ol'  #4" in their catalog.

Take a look.

I am prejudice as you might agree,  but it really works for 60's and 51'S for competitive events.

Ol'  #4

One last experience to relate.  I purchased a Prospector Rig from Kirkpatrick Leather for use with my short barled SAAs and have found that the '60 Sheriffs models fit them well, with or without the converter cylinders.  This old style holster will look natural with the open tops BUT I really wish I had specified straight, flat belts without the bullet loops or billets as that is a better look for the cap and ball era guns.  I would bet that a really quick gun hand could operate from these just as quick as most other original style holsters!  

Archived