SASS Wire Forum

Blood lead level - yikes!

Three Foot Johnson

I had some blood work done at the VA last week, and requested a blood lead level. The doc called me with the results today - 31ppm. :( But, in all fairness, I had just cast a bunch of bullets the previous day.

2 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I had some blood work done at the VA last week, and requested a blood lead level. The doc called me with the results today - 31ppm. :( But, in all fairness, I had just cast a bunch of bullets the previous day.

That’s a cumulative measure. You need to get on a program with your doctor. Lead just doesn’t pop up or dissipate overnight. 

Studies of lead workers have shown associations between blood lead concentrations of 20 to 40 μg/dL and cognitive decline, including changes in memory or mental processing speed.

Well that answers that question. :lol:

It's a problem I've dealt with for quite some time. I worked at a local lead smelter for 23 years, and always had a tough time keeping my blood lead level below 30. Toward the end, as the standard kept dropping over the years (It closed in 2001), I was spending four to six months a year on in-plant medical removal. On certain jobs, I would wear a full hazmat style suit, gloves with liners, booties, and a PAPR - a real challenge in areas where the ambient temperature was easily 150 degrees. Even with a cold vest, you just couldn't stay there longer than maybe 45 minutes. Other people could go into buildings where you couldn't see all the way to the opposite wall due to smoke & fume, leave their respirator dangling around their neck, and they still managed to keep their BLL in the teens. Some people are just much more susceptible than others.

2 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Studies of lead workers have shown associations between blood lead concentrations of 20 to 40 μg/dL and cognitive decline, including changes in memory or mental processing speed.

Well that answers that question. :lol:

No kidding! I even had the method of measurement wrong - it's μg/dL, not PPM. :lol:

Have been dealing with this issue too.  There is a lengthy thread around here somewhere that goes into detail about what you can do to reduce exposure and reduce levels.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I hope you can get it lowered before that thing that happens that makes your thinker not work right....

:lol:

IknowTheThing.jpg

Archived