SASS Wire Forum

I am shocked what people are asking for primers

Cheatin Charlie

It’s going to get worse before better.  Imagine all the protests and riots when a Supreme Court justice gets placed.  Then triple that when one side won’t accept election results.  

Win or lose it’s going to be ugly as “any means necessary” and riots become the norm.

Since this primer shortage seems to go in cycles, a industrious individual would stock when things are good and then make a killing during uncertain times, which happens every 4 years.    The 2024 election should be a doozy.  Lots of money to be made.

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Since this primer shortage seems to go in cycles, a industrious individual would stock when things are good and then make a killing during uncertain times, which happens every 4 years.    The 2024 election should be a doozy.  Lots of money to be made.

That's assuming guns and ammunition are even still legal by then. If the Dems sweep the election the current shortage will look like nothing by comparison.

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I can't see that the primer shortage is worldwide.   Surely with the market potential primers could be imported from South America or Europe or even Asia.   I remembered the last run on primers there were plenty of Tula and Wolf.

Covid-19 shut down all of the primer manufacturers in the rest of the world. The US is just about the only country where manufacturing primes didn't shut down completely. 

Federal is the primer manufacturer. And due to ammo orders (military, LE, and consumer, in the order), Federal is selling all the ammo it can produce.

Remanufacturers will get primers when Federal ammo production catches up, then the rest of us get a chance. Give it a few more months. Barring further lockdowns (production stoppages), LGSs will have primers by Christmas.

I regret not collecting 9mm brass for the last 5 years... At 3 cents per round savings to reload, it just did not seem worth it at the time. My stock cost less than 20 cents per round, hope it lasts until those prices return.

$80 for 500 Thunderbird .22lr? Expletive!

52 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Covid-19 shut down all of the primer manufacturers in the rest of the world. The US is just about the only country where manufacturing primes didn't shut down completely. 

Do you have a source for that? 

I read a Guns and Ammo article online that said primers are on ships heading our way. But will have to get here,  get unloaded and past customs, and out to distributors.  

(I hear all kinds of rumors.  One gunshop owner told me all the primers were made in China and they shut us off.)

If you do the calculations, those F100's I posted about above sold for $19.57/troy ounce, including the shipping cost. The spot price of silver today was $26.84/troy ounce.

35 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Do you have a source for that? 

I read a Guns and Ammo article online that said primers are on ships heading our way. But will have to get here,  get unloaded and past customs, and out to distributors.  

(I hear all kinds of rumors.  One gunshop owner told me all the primers were made in China and they shut us off.)

Just what I remember of Europe shutting everything down when C-19 first hit. Even a 30 day shut down would have a huge effect on supply and demand.

8 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I can't see that the primer shortage is worldwide.   Surely with the market potential primers could be imported from South America or Europe or even Asia.   I remembered the last run on primers there were plenty of Tula and Wolf.

I have been keeping quiet because no one likes a boaster, BUT, I am having no trouble getting Fed SPP here in Aust.

When I saw the rumblings on the wire I went to my local GS and he said no problems with powder, primers, brass or lead. I even got him to do a check on stocks he can draw on and he said I can have 10,000 primers here tomorrow if you want them. I bought 2000 to add to the 2000 I already had (I am only shooting about 300 a month at the moment, so that's a years worth and I have about 1500 already loaded).

This is probably partly due to down here we would have standing annual bulk order so say they arrive early in the year our normal allocation was dispatched before you started seeing shortages. It may be a different issue next year or whenever the next delivery is due?

9 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

I have been keeping quiet because no one likes a boaster, BUT, I am having no trouble getting Fed SPP here in Aust.

When I saw the rumblings on the wire I went to my local GS and he said no problems with powder, primers, brass or lead. I even got him to do a check on stocks he can draw on and he said I can have 10,000 primers here tomorrow if you want them. I bought 2000 to add to the 2000 I already had (I am only shooting about 300 a month at the moment, so that's a years worth and I have about 1500 already loaded).

This is probably partly due to down here we would have standing annual bulk order so say they arrive early in the year our normal allocation was dispatched before you started seeing shortages. It may be a different issue next year or whenever the next delivery is due?

I'm sure you haven't had the panicked buying of firearms and ammo, heck even liberals were buying guns and ammo!! People here were also stocking up when the riots hit!! First time gun buyers generally don't reload so they were buying all the ammo they could get. That put a huge dent in the supply of ammo and primers for us that reload. Just MHO.

24 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm sure you haven't had the panicked buying of firearms and ammo, heck even liberals were buying guns and ammo!! People here were also stocking up when the riots hit!! First time gun buyers generally don't reload so they were buying all the ammo they could get. That put a huge dent in the supply of ammo and primers for us that reload. Just MHO.

We visit gunshops frequently and know the owners pretty well.  Some of the stories they tell.  Just last week we were visiting at one shop and in a conversation about first time gun buyers, he said when he can see they have no clue how to operate the firearm,  he refuses to sale them one. Another told of an elderly lady that came in looking for a handgun.  She looked over the assortment and picked one that looked good and price fit her budget.  It was a big automatic.  He showed her the gun and demonstrated it.  There was no way she could pull back the slide. 

I remember the gas lines of 1973 for Carter-era fuel.
It was priced controlled, so nobody was open to sell fuel.

After waiting 4 hours in line, ask youself, "would I be willing to pay a higher price for fuel?"
If Yes, this is the free market at work.
If No, then you have socialized products (read: none available)

Just now, bgavin said:

It was priced controlled, so nobody was open to sell fuel.

After waiting 4 hours in line, ask youself, "would I be willing to pay a higher price for fuel?"
If Yes, this is the free market at work.
If No, then you have socialized products (read: none available)

And while you were waiting in line for hours and could only buy fuel on certain days those that lived in the "fly over states" had all the gasoline they could use.  I remember watching the news on TV and seeing the long lines in the PRoK and wondering why we had no lines in rural Missouri

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Just last week we were visiting at one shop and in a conversation about first time gun buyers, he said when he can see they have no clue how to operate the firearm,  he refuses to sale them one.

Well he's an Ass...unless he KNEW that the person wasn't going to get training from a professional or knowledgeable friend... Nothing like shutting down one's 2nd Amendment rights...

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

Carter elected 1976.  Took office January 1977.  The Governor of Georgia (1971-1975) had little or no influence on gasoline availability nationwide.

I've slept a whole lot since then.

Son was born in November of 1973 at Cape Cod Hospital.
He was still a baby in the infant carrier when we sat in the gas lines.

You are correct, Nixon was president at the time.  Not Carter.
Thanks for the correction.

Henry Kissinger was Secretary of State. His style of negotiation resulted in the joke "He would go to a wife swapping party and go home alone."

I don't think Carter was responsible for the 1973 oil embargo.  He was responsible for the Iran hostage crisis and disastrous rescue attempt, 18% home mortgage rates, pardoning the Vietnam era draft dodgers, and giving away the Panama Canal.  

Back to the primer topic.......On the way home from a cowboy shoot today, we stopped at a LGS near the shoot. I picked up 2000 Federal Large pistol primers and 1000 Winchester LPP. Only paid about $5/1000 more than I normally pay. My buddy also bought 1000 Federals and a 5lb jug (yes, a 5 pounder)  of Trail Boss at bargain basement prices. Should have 2-3 yr supply of components now.

Archived