SASS Wire Forum

Shooting video s

evil dogooder

One of our new shooters is helping me upgrade my videos. 

We are looking for advice on how to make it better.   

These are taken from my lackluster performance at gunsmoke this year. 

Advice is appreciated. 

Things I like about your videos:

They are well framed, the cameraperson keeps you in view consistently.  I like seeing the time printed after the stage is over.

Things you might consider:

I don't think I need to see the targets on every stage.  I would like to see you in some close-ups so I can watch your hands better.  Mix it up.  Distance shots on one stage, close-ups on the next.  "Penalties 0" tells me you hit all the targets.  If there is some kind of oddball target array, clay bird popper, etc,  be sure to include that one, but maybe not all of them.

I would enjoy hearing some commentary from you about the stage, either at the time you shot it, or dubbed in afterwards when the video is compiled.  "I was really nervous about this stage because I don't like moving to my left."  "I shot this one better than I expected."  That kind of stuff.

A lot depends on what you are trying to do with the video.  Are you using it to improve your shooting techniques, or are you doing an ad for a club or a particular match?

3 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I would like to see you in some close-ups so I can watch your hands better.  

This ^ X 1,000

As most folks know we pretty quickly reach a point where we can't pick up any more measurable speed when shooting our guns.  At that point we save time with transitions.  In my ever so humble opinion, that's where video really is a God send.  During a stage it's next to impossible to "see" what we can improve.  But when we go back a day or so later and look at the video we can see what we did right, what we did wrong and what we pray we can forget. 

At our monthly matches I try to set up two inexpensive action cams on tripods out in front. I cut from one to the other. You can see one clearly in the shot from the other camera and the leg of the other from the other camera.   At first shooters were real leary of the cameras and I had to place them far away behind a tree.  But they have become accustomed to them being up close. I use the waterproof cases to give protection from splatter but drilled holes for the microphones.  I set them up with battery packs and go on with the match. You can see me manning the loading table for much of the stage.  Introducing Texas Joker shooting his very first stage borrowing three guns.

Okay Warden, what were you shooting with the BP?

4 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Things I like about your videos:

They are well framed, the cameraperson keeps you in view consistently.  I like seeing the time printed after the stage is over.

Things you might consider:

I don't think I need to see the targets on every stage.  I would like to see you in some close-ups so I can watch your hands better.  Mix it up.  Distance shots on one stage, close-ups on the next.  "Penalties 0" tells me you hit all the targets.  If there is some kind of oddball target array, clay bird popper, etc,  be sure to include that one, but maybe not all of them.

I would enjoy hearing some commentary from you about the stage, either at the time you shot it, or dubbed in afterwards when the video is compiled.  "I was really nervous about this stage because I don't like moving to my left."  "I shot this one better than I expected."  That kind of stuff.

A lot depends on what you are trying to do with the video.  Are you using it to improve your shooting techniques, or are you doing an ad for a club or a particular match?

My nephews live 1300 miles away and wanted to see me shoot.  So I've been doing short videos. Normally just one stage per video.   Iron Senorita  wanted to do a better video for them. 

It's not for the club or anything promotional.   Those videos we have a professional do

Really nice videos! I second what the other pards already said.

But I know that making videos tends very quick to be very time consuming... 

11 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

My nephews live 1300 miles away and wanted to see me shoot.  So I've been doing short videos.

In my experience, for people who weren't there and don't do CAS themselves all the shooting looks quite the same, but details around the shooting are very interesting for them that might be normal/unspectacular for us, as you did with the stage number for example. Here are some more ideas for some short "filler" shots to catch the eye and build a story:

• Wide shot of the range ("Oh, so many bays") 
  • Showing you pushing your gun cart
  • Showing some props, you seem to have nice buildings there! 
  • Loading your firearms
  • Showing various posse duties and camaraderie in CAS
  • A spoter raising his hand indicating misses or clean stage
  • Most important: your smile after a nice stage :)

A second camera on a threepod while filming with the other in hand gives various options and still only one operater is needed.

In the making-of "El Mariachi" Robert Rodriguez describes an interesting technique using just two cameras (all what he had) looking like multiple cameras: he zoomed or moved very quick with one camera and used the footage of the other camera in those seconds. But this seems to be rather advanced, just came to my mind... 

A body cam could also contribute some nice views!

So long, Equanimous

The first thing I noticed was the shooter started in a shadow.  You might only film on a stage where the shooter was always in the sun.  

And since Warden outed me, I'll stop lurking and add that the editing on his videos made me look much more competent than I was on my first outing. But the bug bit and I'll be sticking around.

I know it's been said before but it's a welcoming sport!

Evil Dogooder,

Those were good videos. Can't add much critique beyond what others have stated.

Warden Callaway

I really like the videos shot from the two tripods.  Great angles and you get to see what the shooter is doing with their hands.

Now for general comments on what I like.

I love videos that show the average shooter, mistakes and all. While videos of the champions  burning down a stage are ok I much prefer videos that reflect the vast majority of shooters you will encounter at a match. Even the train wrecks because they show new shooters that we are human and can laugh at our selves when things don't go as planned. 

When looking for videos to show people what SASS is really about I like to show them Jed I. Knights videos because of his excellent commentary and the fact that he includes the good with the bad. I also like that he includes non-shooting activities because they highlite why the people make SASS different from other shooting sports. 

Archived