SASS Wire Forum

Never, Ever, Ever!

Wyatt

Wow, did you ever figure out why the firing pin ran forward?

I do NOT have a repro toggle-link action rifle, so I don't know which has what, but the original M1873 Winchesters had a firing pin retractor that physically retracts the pin until the lever is fully closed.  That should prevent slamfires before the round is fully seated.  Hope neither shooter was injured.

Stay safe and stay well, Pards!

34 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Sorry, not a safety issue but mine is: Never, ever, EVER go to the line without a plan firmly in your head.  Plan the stage, commit to it and stick with it. 

I try so hard to do that... but all too often it leaks out my ears when the buzzer goes off!  :wacko:

14 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I'd say that's a natural reaction whenever something in your hands unexpectedly blows up and/or attacks you.

Angus

Thank God I've only experienced something like that a couple of times in my life  and yep, that's exactly what I did both times.  It sure isn't something I thought about.  Reflex took over and I got the nasty stuff as far away from me as I could as fast as I could. 

That was a video of me shooting a stage In a match in Ruskin, Florida about 15 or 20 years ago.  Filming by Wyatt who must have been trying to spy on my “gunfighter pistols” technique!

As to why “he threw the gun down”, in my mind at the time, I didn’t throw it down; I carefully placing it on the table swiftly.  But the same forces took over that fired the round:  Newtons Second Law of Motion.  (A body in motion tends to stay in motion until acted upon by some outside force.)

The lower video demonstrates how a primer can be fired using the inertia of the firing pin + extension when closing the bolt on a cartridge not fully chambered because of an obstruction of some sort.  In the demonstration, the obstruction was simulated by installing a pin to prevent fully chambering the round.  In the first video, the case had a severely bulged case.

I’d also like to point out that this is the very same reason that you shouldn’t drop the slide on a 1911 pistol onto a chambered round.  The inertia of the firing pin may fire the round.  All rounds fired in a 1911 are fired by inertia since the firing pin is not long enough to protrude from the bolt face if the hammer is all the way down, resting on the firing pin.  (Of course, you already knew that.)

Seems to me this is a good reason not to install a lighter firing pin spring.

8 minutes ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

... the obstruction was (caused by) the case had a severely bulged case...

That's why I always run my reloads through a case gauge...if they won't slide right in I run them through a Lee Factory Carbide Crimp die.  I only have to do it once or twice per loading session, but it only has to happen once to ruin your day.

Thankful for this video - Had seen it a while back and it taught me to be easy on the lever is something isn't right with the rifle. Got to employ this lesson at Range War this year.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Never, ever, ever forget to cheer for Cypress Sam when he takes his hat off.

Very happy it was just a bit of ear.

I was spotting for Cypress Sun (son of Sam) when Sun had an out of battery on his '97. That wrecked a perfectly good SG.

Archived