SASS Wire Forum

Moly coat bullets

Grass Range

Shooting with the bunch last nite. One of the guys had 44-40 rounds loaded with black powder and moly coated bullets. This resulted in extreme fouling in the bore which was difficult to remove after only 12 shots. He also shot some rounds loaded with smokeless and the same moly coat bullets. These smokeless rounds did not cause fouling of the bore. OK; the answer is obvious but I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

Certainly you would have that problem. While moly works well with smokeless or even the BP subs, real BP requires a lube to keep the fouling soft so the next shot(s) can blow it out the barrel. Of course that shot leaves it's own fowling, but a lube that doesn't allow the fouling to harden is essential to being able to shoot and not have to clean the bore after every stage.

PLUS ONE too Goody

If you've shot Black Powder more than once, you realize very soon, you MUST have BP comparable Lube.  Moly coat does nothing for BP shooters except shield your fingers from the lead.  But it also prevents BP Compatible lube from adhering to the bullet.

I tried polymer coated bullets with my musket and had disastrous results.  If shooting Black you need a good BP lube.

I have been thinking about lubing powder coated bullets with BP lube & see how that works.

Largo

Do the "use BP Lube with Black Powder" rules apply to BP substitutes like Black MZ, Pyrodex, 777, APP?  I normally use real BP, but if I'm out of lead bullets with BP Lube, I might try coated bullets or smokeless lube bullets.

In the past, I always treated BP Substitutes exactly like real BP.

15 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You can shoot Hi-Tek coated bullets with APP and Black MZ.  Haven't tried them with 777.

Wouldn't use Pyrodex on a bet.

I've used them with 777 with good results at the short distances we shoot main match.  I too would not use them with Pyrodex.

19 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You can shoot Hi-Tek coated bullets with APP and Black MZ.  Haven't tried them with 777.

Wouldn't use Pyrodex on a bet.

Somebody gave me almost 2 lb of Pyrodex, after he shot about 6 shots out of a 45 percussion derringer.

I was going to call him a "friend", but after he gave me the Pyrodex I'm not so sure!

Plus I still have about a quarter of the original can of Pyrodex RS I Bought when it first came out.

image1 (6).jpeg

46 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Shoot up the Pyrodex in shotgun.  They are easy to clean and it gets rid of it faster!  (Then clean again after a few days!)

Exactly what I used to do. Whenever someone would put it on sale tables at shoots for $10 or less I would buy it. It loads bulkier so I got about 160 rounds of shotgun as opposed to 115 with real black, same volume. Not going to re-use the hulls, so no cleanup worries there. End of day squirt liberal amount of windex in each barrel, wait a couple of minutes, shoot two rounds of smokeless through each barrel. Another squirt or two in each with windex then shove a wadded up paper towel through each barrel. Spray some ballistol and wipe the face of the breach and the outside of the gun. Clean as a whistle in 5 minutes time.

30 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Exactly what I used to do. Whenever someone would put it on sale tables at shoots for $10 or less I would buy it. It loads bulkier so I got about 160 rounds of shotgun as opposed to 115 with real black, same volume. Not going to re-use the hulls, so no cleanup worries there. End of day squirt liberal amount of windex in each barrel, wait a couple of minutes, shoot two rounds of smokeless through each barrel. Another squirt or two in each with windex then shove a wadded up paper towel through each barrel. Spray some ballistol and wipe the face of the breach and the outside of the gun. Clean as a whistle in 5 minutes time.

Equal parts by volume Pyrodex to shot?

4 minutes ago, Diamond Jake said:

Equal parts by volume Pyrodex to shot?

Not sure what you are asking. I have a Mec 600 JR setup to load shotgun for BP in AA's and STS hulls. I was loading 1 oz shot with a 49A powder bushing IIRC. It would drop 58 grains of 2f. That would load about 115 rounds of Goex 2f or Cowboy. Without changing anything I would get 155 to 160 rounds of Pyrodex because it is a bulkier powder.

5 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Not sure what you are asking. ..

I use dippers; a "Square Load" is using the same dipper for both powder and shot.  The dipper size for 1 oz of shot is about 65 g by volume of Pyrodex.  I guess I was asking if that amount of Pyrodex is enough oomph for SASS targets.  If you are happy with 58 g of powder then I guess it is.

Sorry for hijacking your moly coat thread, Grass Range.  I'll be quiet now.

Oh yeah, plenty of oomph. In fact I used to load SG for a gentleman who shall remain nameless. But he won FCD at Winter Range and EOT more than once using my loads. Probably 4 or 5 years in a row I was loading for him. Most of the matches he shot FCD he was clean with no SG makeups. 

1 minute ago, Grass Range said:

But he has 500 rounds of these moly bullets and likes to shoot black and not smokeless

Then he'll probably need to clean the bore after each stage. Hopefully he can get through 10 shots in the rifle without it fowling out. 

Archived