SASS Wire Forum

Another oldie

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Back in 1966 after arriving on Okinawa and still finding my way around, I was walking to work (didn't have a car yet) and crossed a baseball diamond where I found a pocket knife.

I tried to find the owner and ended up carrying it for years, through typhoons, seismic shocks, a tour in 'Nam, dreadfully cold winters, and other dangerous and trying times, even a year teaching a sixth grade class in Utah (Where I was allowed to keep a .357 in my personal locker by my desk!  Find THAT today!) 

Any old way I carried it always and used it almost daily...the knife, not the gun...until we moved here six years ago where I broke the large blade while whittling a small hole in a pine door frame.

I kept it for some reason and have looked for a replacement ever since.

It is stainless Imperial Diamond Edge 383 three blade stockman style with "jigged bone" scales.. Over all length closed is  a hair under 3 1/2 inches,  The broken blade was around 2 3/4 inches and the other two both about 1 3/4 inches.  It has a silver colored diamond with DE and an arrow inlet into the scale on he right side as the knife is laying on its back.  The broken blade is etched with a crown in a diamond followed by "DiamondEdge 383".  The bolsters are plain, not "banded" nor otherwise decorated.

A search of the internet has proved to be fruitless so far, except for one site that listed one, but it had already been sold.

I regret losing 2 knives:  my father’s pocket knife; and, a Bavarian pocket knife I used to wear when I used to wear a suit to work.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Is this the knife?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133526460284

Looks like it.  I ordered it and figure for under $20.00 delivered it's worth a shot.

I swear that wasn't on there yesterday when I first checked. Thanks, Pat.  I'll let you know.

On 9/22/2020 at 8:46 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Looks like it.  I ordered it and figure for under $20.00 delivered it's worth a shot.

I swear that wasn't on there yesterday when I first checked. Thanks, Pat.  I'll let you know.

Dead on absolute twin, in slightly better shape that the first one and it even came nicely sharpened.

Thanks., Pat.  I'm recovering my past a piece at a time.

28 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Now you need a Marine uniform?

Still have some, but they are tailored for a younger man....like I used to be. :lol:

Got some left over from my Army days, too.  Same problems.

The poncho liner still fits.

Y'know, I never had a poncho, or if I did I don't recall it.  They just seemed clumsy and inefficient and I had a civilian poncho sort of thing with sleeves and pockets.  No clue what happened to it after I left the Army.  The Corps issued me a fantastic "horse blanket" overcoat that weighted just about as much as a school bus when it got wet, but it kept me warm and dry.  My daughter has it and it's still in good shape after all the years gone by.

Archived