Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
July Smith

Alternative to butt stock covers?

Recommended Posts

Like a lot of cowboys and cowgirls I have leather covers on my rifle and shotgun.  I don't need them for the recoil but I do like the added traction in the shoulder.  I have noticed the leather has started to get slick and I am probably going to replace them soon. 

 

Just wondering if anyone had tried checkering the steel butt pad for a similar amount of traction?  The leather covers do work and if periodically replacing them is necessary than so be it, just curious if there were other options out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Like a lot of cowboys and cowgirls I have leather covers on my rifle and shotgun.  I don't need them for the recoil but I do like the added traction in the shoulder.  I have noticed the leather has started to get slick and I am probably going to replace them soon. 

 

Just wondering if anyone had tried checkering the steel butt pad for a similar amount of traction?  The leather covers do work and if periodically replacing them is necessary than so be it, just curious if there were other options out there.

Just use sand paper to rough up the leather 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just take 50 grit sandpaper and scuff the butt area of the butt cover. 

5a5954414ccc0_DenimbuttcoverJam2018.jpg.7cdbf1ad602ce780e436537e8188f9e7.jpg

 

Sawmill Mary sewed me one up out of denim.  I laced it over the buttplate with leather bootlace. That worked real well.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can have Aspen Philly do a checkering job on the but plate she did mine it looks great and works good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

but I do like the added traction in the shoulder. 

Shooting offhand matches., I put just a stick on piece of sand paper adhesive on the butt plate - no slip or sliding. That's all that's needed

Edited by John Boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you take a piece of leather and lay it on a bench smooth side up place your rifle Butt down on a piece of leather and trace around it with a pen. Then cut the leather piece out on the line. Then apply contact adhesive to the metal butt plate and the smooth side of the leather put in place with pressure and smooth out with a round smooth object to make sure that the glue has adhered. This leaves the rough side of the leather out which is what comes in contact with your shoulder. Works great I have been using the same one on my 73 for three years never slips

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 10:05 AM, Judge Gardner said:

You can have Aspen Philly do a checkering job on the but plate she did mine it looks great and works good.

Do you have contact info or a link to her website?  I am very interested in trying this approach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aspen Filly:

http://lcgraphicdesigns.tripod.com/aspenfillys/engraving.html

 

on facebook as well.

Edited by Abilene, SASS # 27489

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very, very thin rubber recoil pad.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 10:05 AM, Judge Gardner said:

You can have Aspen Philly do a checkering job on the but plate she did mine it looks great and works good.

Great idea.  I will try to remember to ask her about that tomorrow at CAC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For right handlers hold the gun firmly into your shoulder with your left hand.  The crescent butplate will automatically find the right place, and it won’t slip.  If you are using modern type stance with the butt more over on your collarbone, you probably need more of a shotgun or carbine type butplate that can be checkered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Nah.  Cut the stock square and install a THIN Pacmayar (sp) ribbed shotgun pad.  Nice and no slippy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1260889477_MarlinprojecthammerrecutAug2019.jpg.b4c79447cec8ec65d74945d28005b032.jpg

 

This tool is used to clean up threads.  But could be used to checker or cut grooves in a buttplate I'm thinking. 

 

I used it to regroove the spur on this old Marlin.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 6:46 PM, Warden Callaway said:

1260889477_MarlinprojecthammerrecutAug2019.jpg.b4c79447cec8ec65d74945d28005b032.jpg

 

This tool is used to clean up threads.  But could be used to checker or cut grooves in a buttplate I'm thinking. 

 

I used it to regroove the spur on this old Marlin.

What is that type of file called?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do believe that is a thread file.  Normally used to clean up boogered threads on bolts.  The 24 would indicate threads per inch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.