SASS Wire Forum

Alternative to butt stock covers?

July Smith

Like a lot of cowboys and cowgirls I have leather covers on my rifle and shotgun.  I don't need them for the recoil but I do like the added traction in the shoulder.  I have noticed the leather has started to get slick and I am probably going to replace them soon. 

Just wondering if anyone had tried checkering the steel butt pad for a similar amount of traction?  The leather covers do work and if periodically replacing them is necessary than so be it, just curious if there were other options out there.

14 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Like a lot of cowboys and cowgirls I have leather covers on my rifle and shotgun.  I don't need them for the recoil but I do like the added traction in the shoulder.  I have noticed the leather has started to get slick and I am probably going to replace them soon. 

Just wondering if anyone had tried checkering the steel butt pad for a similar amount of traction?  The leather covers do work and if periodically replacing them is necessary than so be it, just curious if there were other options out there.

Just use sand paper to rough up the leather 

You can have Aspen Philly do a checkering job on the but plate she did mine it looks great and works good.

but I do like the added traction in the shoulder. 

Shooting offhand matches., I put just a stick on piece of sand paper adhesive on the butt plate - no slip or sliding. That's all that's needed

If you take a piece of leather and lay it on a bench smooth side up place your rifle Butt down on a piece of leather and trace around it with a pen. Then cut the leather piece out on the line. Then apply contact adhesive to the metal butt plate and the smooth side of the leather put in place with pressure and smooth out with a round smooth object to make sure that the glue has adhered. This leaves the rough side of the leather out which is what comes in contact with your shoulder. Works great I have been using the same one on my 73 for three years never slips

On 9/22/2020 at 10:05 AM, Judge Gardner said:

You can have Aspen Philly do a checkering job on the but plate she did mine it looks great and works good.

Do you have contact info or a link to her website?  I am very interested in trying this approach. 

On 9/22/2020 at 10:05 AM, Judge Gardner said:

Great idea.  I will try to remember to ask her about that tomorrow at CAC.

For right handlers hold the gun firmly into your shoulder with your left hand.  The crescent butplate will automatically find the right place, and it won’t slip.  If you are using modern type stance with the butt more over on your collarbone, you probably need more of a shotgun or carbine type butplate that can be checkered.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 6:46 PM, Warden Callaway said:

1260889477_MarlinprojecthammerrecutAug2019.jpg.b4c79447cec8ec65d74945d28005b032.jpg

This tool is used to clean up threads.  But could be used to checker or cut grooves in a buttplate I'm thinking. 

I used it to regroove the spur on this old Marlin.

What is that type of file called?

I do believe that is a thread file.  Normally used to clean up boogered threads on bolts.  The 24 would indicate threads per inch

Archived