SASS Wire Forum

I dug out an oldie

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Star 'Firestar" M-43 in 9mm.

I bought in about 1988 and carried in my boot for nearly 20 years.  The Starvel finish wore out and the outside took a real beating, but it still works like a new gun.  I have five magazines for it with seven rounds in each one.  My gunsmith friend here put a new cerracoat (sp?) black finish on it.  Still looks like warmed over crap, but it will serve another 20 years or so.  After all those years and a box car full of ammo it never once failed to fire and wasn't very picky about what brand I had.

Heavy for a 9mm, but it helps hold the recoil down.  The three white dot sights are stock and the only modification I made on the gun was to remove the safety that kept it from firing with the mag out.  Good choice because before that it wouldn't drop an empty mag.  You had to pull it out.  Now it almost ejects them like it is spring driven.

I think I'll start carrying it again in case a .45 acp RIA 1911 with seven magazines isn't sufficient.

I need another Uncle Mike's double mag pouch  with a single velcro fastened flap.  They seem to have gone gadget-inspired gimmicky on me in thirty plus years.

Those Stars are under-appreciated guns, reliable as all get out.

8 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Those Stars are under-appreciated guns, reliable as all get out.

I had one in the 70s. Almost forgot. BKM It was a nice pistol.

A buddy in the mid-80s had a Firestar and it did a lot to educate me that "good guns are where you find 'em".

Over the years I've had "name brand" pieces that were garbage and "garbage" that worked all day / every day.

Example: when I feel like emulating 007, I carry an Astra Constable (a cheap PPK knock-off) that meets the above criteria.  Likewise, my "everyday" 1911 says Taurus on the side.  I've got Gold Cups and Springfield TRPs, but often as not the "garbage" goes along on my hip.

Glad to hear about your Firestar, Forty Rod!

Ad 

15 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I need another Uncle Mike's double mag pouch  with a single velcro fastened flap.  They seem to have gone gadget-inspired gimmicky on me in thirty plus years.

Forty Rod, look up Blackhawk Double Mag Pouches. They have some that are Velcro flapped for mag access. 

22 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Forty Rod, look up Blackhawk Double Mag Pouches. They have some that are Velcro flapped for mag access. 

Already did.  They (and everyone else, apparently) have double flaps and plastic belt loops and snaps and all the stuff I do NOT need.  I have found most Blackhawk stuff to be bulky, padded and generally useless for my needs.  They are not alone.

Thanks anyway.

5 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Already did.  They (and everyone else, apparently) have double flaps and plastic belt loops and snaps and all the stuff I do NOT need.  I have found most Blackhawk stuff to be bulky, padded and generally useless for my needs.  They are not alone.

Thanks anyway.

Go on EBay and search “Uncle Mike’s Magazine Pouch”. There are a bunch of older ones in new condition on there. 

Still nothing, Pat.  The one I have is about 30 years old and is very simple: one piece of ballistic nylon, folded and sewn with two heavy nylon belt loops and a two piece Velcro strip.  Nothing fancy, nothing padded, nothing high tech (except the materials), no metals, no moulded plastics, no camouflage, nothing complicated.  Very flat and durable.  If I had a source for the materials and a decent sewing machine I could make my own, in probably under an hour a piece.

If I knew where to get the materials I might be able to find a seamstress locally to make them for me.

I'd like to get a few of them because if I have three I could put two seven round mags in each one, plus a mag plus one round in the pipe in the gun and have a fifty round package of disaster for someone on my belt.

I already have that combo for my 1911 all done up in nice leather.

Hard to walk with all that weight, but I'd give it a go.

"Back when" I carried a pair of SAAs with five rounds in each one and two El Paso saddlery money belts with  forty five rounds in each belt.  I could go anywhere I wanted, I just couldn't go there fast.  :blink:  :rolleyes:

Forty, I had one of these for a while on my duty belt. Well made and can be with either velcro or snaps

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1336533929

On 9/24/2020 at 9:48 AM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Hey Forty, do you think these would work? The pouch I have is for .380. The Firestar mags are small enough to fit.

https://www.jgsales.com/knj-ambi-size-26a-double-small-magazine-pouch-for-32,-380-auto-mags.-p-3123.html

Not quite, but mighty close.  I'll order a couple and see.  If that don't work for the Star mags I have a Colt Government .380 ( MY summer piece) that can use a couple more.

Thanks.

On 9/24/2020 at 9:48 AM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Hey Forty, do you think these would work? The pouch I have is for .380. The Firestar mags are small enough to fit.

https://www.jgsales.com/knj-ambi-size-26a-double-small-magazine-pouch-for-32,-380-auto-mags.-p-3123.html

Absolutely perfect.  Identical to the ones I already have.

Thank you.

Now I need five more and I'm set up for life....at least for this size mags.  :D

when he died i inherited my grandfathers toll box , in it i found a very old locking wooden scale folding knife , its been traced back to germany in the 1800s , about the time that side of the family immigrated [legally] ive others from the family but this one means a lot , 

Archived