SASS Wire Forum

Stuff to carry on your belt and what goes in the cart?

DeaconKC

Okay, you experienced guys and gals, speak up for us who are newer. What things do you have on your belt?

And what do you have in your cart?

As a throwback to my Law Enforcement days, I'm a minimalist when it comes to stuff hanging on my belt.  Gun belt (no cartridge loops), one small sheath knife, two holsters, two shotgun slides.  Each shotgun slide holds 4 SG shells, plus one rifle cartridge.  That's it.  I don't particularly like wearing a separate shotgun belt.  All other tools and accoutrements stay in the cart.

As little as possible on the belt.

Most of the time it's two holsters, and a screw knife; that's it. NO Cartridge loops; those are on my shotgun belt.

If I shoot Classic Cowboy I add a real knife.

Lately I've added a leather pouch with a small can of beeswax/lard for lubing revolver bullets.

Belt- Two holsters, slide that includes shotgun and 3 extra cartridges.  I don't like wearing a separate shotgun belt.  Small knife on the belt.  Screw knife mounted to weak side holster.  I wear a piece of antler as a pendant around my neck that I use to push .C45 Spec. past the carrier.  Cart in addition to ammo, a small first aid kit, back up ear and eye protection, screwdriver/tool set, lubricant, squib rods emergency rations.

I have a small pouch with flap closure on my belt in the back.  I keep two tiny plastic bottles in there, one is a nasal inhaler type with moose milk in it for spritzing carriers or cylinders or whatever while shooting BP, and the other has the butter-flavor crisco in it that I squirt over my BP pistol rounds.  I carry my stage rounds to the table in small drawstring bags and put the empty bag in the pouch after loading.  Also , when somebody hands me some of my brass they found later or if I find some of my own when brass-picking, those also go into the pouch.  It doesn't weigh much nor take up much room.

On the gun belt just the holsters and I have a hook that I made that fits on the belt, the hook holds a bag for empty brass, if I’m shooting Frontiersman it also holds a nipple pick.  Shotgun belt holds just shells.

Holsters, spoon made into hook to hang loading block, unjammer tool, screw knife (never use it but do use unjammer tool), and I tuck a bag under my belt to put empties in.  Bag can be used to wipe sweat off my hands or head.

1 minute ago, John Boy said:

Deacon ... what’s the purpose of the question other than being curious

I hate spending money twice, so I figured I would ask experienced shooters what works for them. I have done IDPA, IPSC and Bowling Pin. Each has different things that work, so with a new discipline, I am looking to learn fro other's experience.

Empty holster rig,  

SASS badge and holder on the back, 

and a small knife and sheath on the back to hang

my loading strip on when ready to shoot..

I wear a separate shotgun belt with 8 rounds of shotgun and 5 rifle reloads..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' Keep it light:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

I hate spending money twice, so I figured I would ask experienced shooters what works for them. I have done IDPA, IPSC and Bowling Pin. Each has different things that work, so with a new discipline, I am looking to learn fro other's experience.

Ah! Not that I have experience, but I have been watching...

That knife in the sheath on the back of the holster rig? It seems to be a common practice to use the knife hilt as a hook to hang one's ammo/brass bag between the loading and unloading tables (during the course of fire). May this insight guide any choice of knife sheath and knife hilt, and the associated bag.

And shotgun slides seem to be two-up rather than individual shell loops for the faster shooters, so there must be some advantage to grabbing two shells at a time. Like maybe loading faster...

Besides my holsters, I have a small pouch 'round front with my Capper and Seater.  Pouch inna back with my SASS Badge onnit (holds cartridge pouch) and a pouch for my Cartridge Loading Strip.  I also "cart" my guns once I recharge them.

Holsters for my guns, screw knife holster sewn onto rear of strong side pistol holster, shotgun belt with 8-12 shells depending on stage (I take twice what the target count is), a slide with 5 cartridges (38's usually but sometimes 45's). Note that I use suspenders/braces to hold my pants up and my sass badge is pinned onto left side out of the way. (don't like gun belt over regular belt) and my empties bag is in my right hand rear pocket with my loading strip in the left side rear pocket. Works for me but you may have a different setup and that is good as well.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Howdy

I discovered a long time ago that 25 45 Colt cartridges add a lot of weight to my gunbelt. This is my rig. Each Colt weighs about 2 1/2 pounds, and they get pretty heavy at the end of the day. I don't care for a shotgun belt, so two shotgun slides that carry 4 each are sufficient for most stages. The 45-70 round in the middle of the belt is an homage to John Wayne. There are usually about 4 44-40 rounds near my right hand pistol, for the occasional rifle reload. I have not experienced a pistol reload in years, so I don't bother carrying any extra 45 Colt rounds on my belt. Thinking of getting rid of the knife, don't really need it.

pmxi4JTRj

Everything else, screw drivers, cleaning rods, brass rods, loading block, empties bag, bore brushes and jags, rags, Ballistol, Murphy's Mix, band aides, gloves, water, snacks, and assorted other tools stays in the cart until needed. My gun tool box with lots more tools in it stays in the car unless needed.

pnumiufpj

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Crying towel :lol:

OLG 

You've seen me shoot?

same as most - holsters and slides , a 4570 for hanging the brass bag and loading strip , i also put the revolvers back in the cart between stages , as we age we like to carry less - we also keep less in the cart to reduce the load - i keep my SASS badge and holder on my cart 

Archived