SASS Wire Forum

Perspective on life today - Imagine you were born in 1900

Pat Riot

A friend of mine emailed me this video. 
I wanted to share it. Luckily I found it on YouTube. 

This video put a lot of things into perspective. 

Awhile back someone on Facebook posted about how the kids today are struggling to cope with whats goin on in the world. They need help, hugs counseling etc.

I came back with I was born in 1950 from parents who went through the depression and WW2. The Korean War had just started which lead to McCarthyism, the cold war, duck and cover drills in my school and the Cuban missile crisis. You know where the whole world was ready to end. The Civil rights riots, LA and Watts burning.Then the Viet Nam war, The middle eastern wars and many recessions.

So I said suck it up, your wifi is down and mommy and daddy won't buy you the latest IPhone.

My grandma was born in Jan 1900 and died in Jan 2000.  She lived in West Texas, raised 12 children, prayed often and made her own beer.  She was 1st generation American, both her parents immigrated from Spain in 1880.  Shortly before her passing I asked her share an observation from her perspective after living 99 years.  She replied, “why did we need to go to the moon, we have hungry people here and some can’t afford school.”  I’ll never forget her perspective.

I had a life-long neighbor who passed last year at age 102 - born in 1917. Farmers and rural dwellers still used carriages and horse drawn equipment. Very few had telephones,  or electricity yet. The more affluent families might have had one of those new-fangled four foot tall radios in the corner to listen to at night - lots of static and hum, and powered by a bank of batteries charged by a windmill-driven generator. Automobiles were seldom seen out here, and the rare airplane flying over was cause for everyone to drop what they were doing and go look. The fast way across the continent was by train, and transoceanic trips were solely by ship. A different world, indeed.

3 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

My grandma was born in Jan 1900 and died in Jan 2000.  She lived in West Texas, raised 12 children, prayed often and made her own beer.  She was 1st generation American, both her parents immigrated from Spain in 1880.  Shortly before her passing I asked her share an observation from her perspective after living 99 years.  She replied, “why did we need to go to the moon, we have hungry people here and some can’t afford school.”  I’ll never forget her perspective.

While I sympathize with her perspective, the Space Race was responsible for the creation of countless new products and technologies that have made all of our lives easier. Everything from artificial limbs to insulin pumps to fire-resistant clothing were developed or perfected then. As much as we would like to end hunger and poverty we all know that simply throwing money at it will never make it go away.

Archived