SASS Wire Forum

I learn something new...

Abilene Slim SASS 81783

...every day.

My trusty old Remmie 1100 failed me for the first time ever whilst pheasant hunting today. The hammer had stopped falling when pulling the trigger. Pretty irritating as a bird flies by in front of you.

I cycled the action a couple of times and a part fell out the bottom of the receiver. Having never detail stripped the action, I had no idea what it was. But I knew I was dang lucky I saw the part fall to the ground. Checked out various detailed YouTube videos, yet the part was never shown or mentioned. By checking a parts diagram I id'd it as the "interrupter latch". Finally matched it to a post in a recess in the left side of the receiver just aft of the mag tube where it interacts with the trigger group. Apparently the retaining clip/ring that secured it to the post had fallen off. Whew, no broken parts! Found and ordered one from Brownells for $8.00. Problem solved.

I not only learned something new, but got three birds before the failure. All in all, a pretty good day. :) 

20 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

...every day.

My trusty old Remmie 1100 failed me for the first time ever whilst pheasant hunting today. The hammer had stopped falling when pulling the trigger. Pretty irritating as a bird flies by in front of you.

I cycled the action a couple of times and a part fell out the bottom of the receiver. Having never detail stripped the action, I had no idea what it was. But I knew I was dang lucky I saw the part fall to the ground. Checked out various detailed YouTube videos, yet the part was never shown or mentioned. By checking a parts diagram I id'd it as the "interrupter latch". Finally matched it to a post in a recess in the left side of the receiver just aft of the mag tube where it interacts with the trigger group. Apparently the retaining clip/ring that secured it to the post had fallen off. Whew, no broken parts! Found and ordered one from Brownells for $8.00. Problem solved.

I not only learned something new, but got three birds before the failure. All in all, a pretty good day. :) 

I have been having flashbacks to pheasant hunts back in the days when we had phesants to hunt. 

How I miss those days afield on a chilly October morning, with frost on the ground. Think tomorrow I will

drag out my orange shirt and wear it. 

I inherited my 1100 from my uncle. It was made in the second year of production, according to the serial number. 

I know there are many "more modern" semi-automatic shotguns available today. 

This one doesn't even have a vent rib. It shoots only 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge shells, and it is wood and metal, no plastic/polymer, no multi-choke capability. Mine is full choke. I could probably purchase another barrel for it, with a different choke, and probably with a vent rib. But, as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It shoots magnificently, and you can see the quality, in the design, and fit, and finish.  

I would not trade it for the newest, latest, shoot anything, design.

Congratulations on finding the problem, and figuring it out.

Ya done, good.

W.K.

46 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I inherited my 1100 from my uncle. It was made in the second year of production, according to the serial number. 

I know there are many "more modern" semi-automatic shotguns available today. 

This one doesn't even have a vent rib. It shoots only 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge shells, and it is wood and metal, no plastic/polymer, no multi-choke capability. Mine is full choke. I could probably purchase another barrel for it, with a different choke, and probably with a vent rib. But, as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It shoots magnificently, and you can see the quality, in the design, and fit, and finish.  

I would not trade it for the newest, latest, shoot anything, design.

Congratulations on finding the problem, and figuring it out.

Ya done, good.

W.K.

Mine is an 1100T, as in trap.  The barrel it came with is for trap, which I assume is a modified or full choke. Decades ago, I bought a "field" barrel that will accept any Remmie choke. That's the one I use the most as I can adapt it to whatever my needs are. Dang, that platform is elegantly designed.

I've got a Remington 1100 languishing in the back of the safe.  I haven't shot it in 15 years.  I need to get it out and blow the dust out of the barrel.  See if any parts come falling out of the bottom.

Archived