SASS Wire Forum

What's a reasonable number of cartridge loops?

Jaan

I'm making a rig for SASS. Since I'm hand sewing everything I don't want to put in 30 cartridge loops....

What would you call a reasonable number of pistol cartridge loops on a belt specifically made for SASS...10?  15?  

I was thinking a bakers dozen, 13. 

Most cowpokes have cartridge loops on their first rig..

Most cowpokes have them full when they're new to our sport..

Most cowpokes empty them out after about 5-6 matches..

Most cowpokes find they don't need to haul around the extra weight..

Most cowpokes don't have any cartridge loops on their 2nd. Rig..

I have 5 rifle cartridge loops for reloads for my rifle on my shotgun belt..

Rance ;)

Just my thinkin' :huh:

3-4 are plenty. Need one for rifle reload, 1 for the occasional high primer or dropped where you can’t reach it round at LT.  2 more because you forgot to replace them when used! 

my first belt had about 20. Took 2 matches for me to realize I did not want to lug all that around with me all day!  For the same reason I put my pistols in cart holsters between stages. 

I have 4 cartridge loops on my belt & I only use two of em.

In 20 years of CAS I can count on one hand the times I have actually needed 2 rounds.

Let me add, my 4 loops are on my Shotgun Belt... where I can reach them easy & quick.

None on my pistol belt.

I TOed for a gentleman that used 10 on one occasion.

He forgot to load his pistols.......... Used the 10 rounds to fill um up and shoot um! Shot the 10 - 10 - 4 stage in just under 25 seconds. CLEAN.

I like my belts to look authentic, so they will either have a fair number or none even tho I only use a few for matches, as noted above.  BUT!  If I was having one special made for competition I would have 6 cartridge loops, 3 for .38 and 3 for .44/45, with them alternating large and small.  That way, whichever I use has more room for the fingers around the cartridge.

1 hour ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I use a 3 round slide, it can be positioned almost anywhere and I can change caliber easily. Only use a round or two at a time.

Imis 

That's what I've been using except a 5 round one.  I'm considering just doing that.

NONE!!  Lots of cartridges in cartridge loops are HEAVY.  Gets OLD really quick.  So I gave up belts with loops really quick.  Also, these days, would look real silly to be sporting a bazillion cartridge loops full of cartridges when I shoot Cap Guns.  I do have 5 loops for cartridges on my shotgun belt.  Use em to carry a cowboy screwdriver and a Cap Seating tool.  Once in a while I stuff in an extra round or two.

Your spare rounds aren’t just for looks, they’re also (obviously) used when a stage calls for a reload and/or replacing a jacked out rifle round. Figure how many of those you’ll need on a stage and there’s your number. But also remember placement. You want them to be easily accessible by whichever hand you’ll be grabbing them. During reload stages I’ve seen far too many shooters having to contort themselves in ways the human body wasn’t meant to bend. 

10 hours ago, Hoss said:

3-4 are plenty. Need one for rifle reload, 1 for the occasional high primer or dropped where you can’t reach it round at LT.  2 more because you forgot to replace them when used! 

my first belt had about 20. Took 2 matches for me to realize I did not want to lug all that around with me all day!  For the same reason I put my pistols in cart holsters between stages. 

X10, I have 3 on my holster loops and as Hoss stated, sometimes you forget to replace 'em. 20 to 30 way too heavy to lug around all day. I agree on having cart holsters as well.

It really sounds as if just having a shotgun slide with 6 rounds and a slide for handgun/rifle for 4-6 on a gunbelt would be the lightest way to go. This has been a great read for me as I broke my back many moons ago and would like to be as light as possible on the belts.

17 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

It really sounds as if just having a shotgun slide with 6 rounds and a slide for handgun/rifle for 4-6 on a gunbelt would be the lightest way to go. This has been a great read for me as I broke my back many moons ago and would like to be as light as possible on the belts.

I did that in my first match.  One of the stages called for 6 shotgun shots.  I felt the pressure that I would either miss or drop a shell, but I made it clean.  SLOW, but clean.

None on the holster belt.  Reaching behind you and fumbling blindly for a reload is a waste of time. 

I do have 4 per side, alternating .38/.44/.38/.44 on my shotgun belt, where I can reach them from the front.  I can use the belt with any caliber I choose.

IMG_20191227_171656075.thumb.jpg.af0305e0124065eb39880f1b80f78d93.jpg

If you want to look good, the more, the better. :D In practice though, three is sufficient. I've used two before, but I don't think I've ever hit three. Of course, if you've ever gone to the line with three empty guns, maybe twenty is the way to go. 

As others have said, shotgun belt is better location. You doing want to be reaching way back for a bullet for a reload! 

I have thirty loops on my cartridge belt...all for .45-70.  How many do I fill? NONE. I have two pouches that go on my belt...one is an 1874 Dyer pouch which will hold six 12 ga  shotshells, and a CW pistol cap pouch which has the wool liner removed, which can hold at least six .44-40 or .44 Extra-long Russian (aka .44 Mangle-em).  I leave the flaps unbuttoned and it doesn't take any time at all to grab whatever is necessary for a particular stage. (Note: this equipment is all Trailrider Products stuff. NO solicitation intended!)

Stay well and safe, Pards!

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

>snip< During reload stages I’ve seen far too many shooters having to contort themselves in ways the human body wasn’t meant to bend. 

Yup...my tired old bones don't bend very easily anymore. 

I think I have 20, but I only ever put 5 or less in the loops on game day.  I like to keep the rows in my ammo box even.  But in addition to the reloads, I also used to hang my loading block in one of the loops with a dummy round.  So if I was getting a new belt, I'd get 6 and have them spaced out a little.  3 on each side (because I'm amphibious). 

Howdy,

I just thought about the idea and the possibilities.

And 10 on each side seems good.

First that would allow a full reload of rifle and pistols if needed.

OR put one in every other spot and be able to load each pistol OR the rifle.

Ive seen some holsters with loops. 

I would think less than 10 might as well go with slides and have a nice

pattern of carving on the belt.

Best

CR

A couple makes sense. A couple for each caliber if your guns are not all the same.

But the cool factor? That is a separate consideration. One consideration is that brass will react with oils in the leather and corode; that is not good. So the cool factor requires nickel plated cases.

And yes, they would be heavy... I have been toying with the idea of hollowing out bullets from the back on a lathe to reduce weight, rubber plugs for the primers, and no powder, pressed into nickel-plated shells. Maybe. Someday.

But a couple live rounds makes sense. I saw one rig with 2 loops on each holster, that seems like a good place for live rounds. That string of pearls on the back of the rig? It seems to be more for looks than for quick non-fumble access.

20 hours ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Rance ;)

Just my thinkin' :huh:

this ▲

On 9/20/2020 at 11:22 PM, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Yup.

I am still using my first rig.

It's been over twenty years, but I am still using it. Lots of loops with lots of shiny ammo are pretty much a thing of the movies.

This is my rig. Two shotgun slides with 4 rounds each because I don't like to wear a shotgun belt in addition to a gun belt. 2 2nd Gen Colts (about 2 1/2 pounds each) One 45-70 round as an homage to John Wayne. About 4 or 5 44-40 rounds for rifle reloads in case I need them. No 45 Colt rounds because we have not done a pistol reload in these parts in years. Thinking of getting rid of the knife too, it serves no real purpose and gets in the way half the time.

pmxi4JTRj

Commodore Perry Owens' rig was a bit unusual, but most cowboys just had a few, if any, loops on their belts.

poCeadxbj

Archived