SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Town in Louisiana Destroyed by Hurricane Laura

Hellbender

Howdy Pards,

It is with deep sorrow that I inform you that Hurricane Laura destroyed our cowboy town located in Lake Charles, Louisiana, on August 27.  Hurricane Laura was the strongest hurricane to make landfall in Louisiana since 1856.  We are soliciting donations to go toward the purchase of materials to build a new town.

Here's a 3 minute video walk through I took when I first was able to go to the town to see what had happened.

Our cowboy town, which we call “Muskeeta Flats” is the home of the Up the Creek Gang, a SASS-afflliated club that was founded in July 1996.  Some of our more well-known club members include Possum Skinner; Ed Seiker, Texas Ranger; Nellie Blue; and Texas Tommy Gun.

Our town consisted of 7 stages - 5 of the stages were large wooden buildings, one stage was open but with an aluminum roof, and 1 stage was completely open.  The town also contained a building with cowboys and cowgirls bathrooms as well as storage space, a wooden pavilion, a metal pavilion, and an office building. The only thing left out there now is the office building, which remarkably only had stains in the ceiling tiles.  Even the massive fence and gate at the entrance to our town were destroyed.

We have already made a lot of headway clearing the rubble and soon will start designing a brand new Muskeeta Flats.  To make a new Muskeeta Flats possible, we need your help.  We are soliciting donations from individuals and clubs, whether SASS-affiliated or not, to raise enough funds to purchase the needed construction materials that we will use to build our new town.  Nothing was salvageable from any of the stages.   All monies received will be used only to purchase materials.

We ask that you personally and/or your club send us a donation.  Our goal is to raise $30,000.  We have no idea if we’ll ever raise that much but that is our target.  Please note that the Up the Creek Gang, Inc. is a 501 (c) (3) organization so your contribution should be tax deductible.

Please donate by sending a check made out to Up the Creek Gang to:
Sparky Gal, Treasurer
Up the Creek Gang
503 Moss St.
Lake Charles, LA 70601

OR

Please donate through PayPal to my own PayPal account.  There are plenty of cowboys/cowgirls who know me and who can vouch for my character (e.g. Possum Skinner, Slick McClade, Skinny, Missouri Lefty, Missouri Traveler, Ed Seiker, Krazy Kajun, Ocoee Red, Nellie Blue, Cole Trigger, Texas Tommy Gun, Texas Flower, Texas Mac, Texas Gator, Cajun Queen, Hoss, Duke City Deadeye, and Dixie Deadeye, just to name a few) so you can rest assured that all funds received in my PayPal account designated as a gift for Up the Creek Gang will go to our Treasurer for our fundraising. 

My PayPal account is my email address: flyingfrog2015@gmail.com

Thank y’all very much for considering helping us out.

Cordially,

Hellbender, President
Up the Creek Gang

IMG_8285.jpeg

IMG_8294.jpeg

IMG_8600.jpeg

IMG_8615.jpeg

IMG_8639.jpeg

1 hour ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Looked  like at least some of the cows survived:blush:

Yes, they did, but I never could find the horns from one of them.

May I inquire, please. In the third picture down. Is that Ed Seiker with the purplish shirt and the cane? If so, when did he begin using a cane? He is one of the finest individuals I have met in this game.

4 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

May I inquire, please. In the third picture down. Is that Ed Seiker with the purplish shirt and the cane? If so, when did he begin using a cane? He is one of the finest individuals I have met in this game.

Goody, you're mistaken on both counts.  That's Crosscut Hardy and that's a pry bar, not a cane.  Ed Seiker hasn't shot in quite a while but he did used to come to "cowboy lunch" as we called it with 3-4 of us every Wednesday at various restaurants in town.  That is until they closed the restaurants due to the coronavirus.

Ok cowboys, time to pony up. $30,000 sounds like a huge, unmanageable amount. But, if 1000 of us would pony up the cost of a match, say 30.00, the goal would be met. You’ll never miss the money! 

my check Will be in the mail tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Ok cowboys, time to pony up. $30,000 sounds like a huge, unmanageable amount. But, if 1000 of us would pony up the cost of a match, say 30.00, the goal would be met. You’ll never miss the money! 

my check Will be in the mail tomorrow. 

Thank you Hoss!  And you made a very good point too!

It was good to see you again at the TX State (watch out, one of these day's I'm going to beat you at a pocket pistol side match - in my dreams!).  I look forward to seeing you again at Defend the Fort in November.

22 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

Thank you Hoss!  And you made a very good point too!

It was good to see you again at the TX State (watch out, one of these day's I'm going to beat you at a pocket pistol side match - in my dreams!).  I look forward to seeing you again at Defend the Fort in November.

Looking forward to shooting at he fort. One of my favorite places! 

5 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

I'm in Australia  but If you have another way of paying , like someones paypal I'd be pleased to help a little.

Painted Hawk,  thanks, that's mighty generous of you!  

You (and anybody else in the world or in the USA or that matter who'd rather not send a check) can send a donation for our fundraising event to my own PayPal account.  There are plenty of cowboys/cowgirls who know me and who can vouch for my character (e.g. Possum Skinner, Slick McClade, Skinny, Missouri Lefty, Missouri Traveler, Ed Seiker, Krazy Kajun, Ocoee Red, Nellie Blue, Cole Trigger, Texas Tommy Gun, Texas Flower, Texas Mac, Texas Gator, Cajun Queen, Hoss, Duke City Deadeye, and Dixie Deadeye,  just to name a few) so you can rest assured that all funds received  in my PayPal account designated as a gift for Up the Creek Gang will go to our Treasurer for our fundraising. 

My PayPal account is my email address: flyingfrog2015@gmail.com

Thank you so much for thinking of us and helping us to recover from this terrible situation!

Hellbender, President

Up the Creek Gang

Was thinking of you guys when I came to De Ridder Aug. 29th for a week. I thought from what I saw in De Ridder was wondering what Parish Lake Charles would be found in. Our original goal was to respond to Lake Charles, but no place could be found down there for us. I have no doubt you will recover.

1 hour ago, Smoken D said:

Was thinking of you guys when I came to De Ridder Aug. 29th for a week. I thought from what I saw in De Ridder was wondering what Parish Lake Charles would be found in. Our original goal was to respond to Lake Charles, but no place could be found down there for us. I have no doubt you will recover.

Thanks Smoken D.  DeRidder is in Beauregard Parish.  We are in Calcasieu Parish, just south of there.  Yes, we will recover but it will be a long haul.

29 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Shekels sent

Wonderful, thank you!  We take all types of currency ^_^

Donations started arriving through PayPal almost as soon as I added that as a possible way to donate, so now if you wish to donate you can either send us a check or send money through PayPal.  I added the PayPal information for donations to the original post, which also has the mailing address for checks.

Thank y'all!!!!!

1 hour ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Hellbender...Only to pleased to help, good luck with the re-build...Paypal is on the way.

Thank you Painted Hawk! This is a disaster for us and we do appreciate good folks like you helping us out.  We'll come back stronger than ever!

Hellbender

2 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

I had wondered how your range had fared. Now I know.

Our check will go out tomorrow.

Let everybody know how y'all are doing, please!

Thank you Tell.  As far as I know everyone in the club is OK.  Most everybody I know (including myself) evacuated before the hurricane hit, although Sgt. Major Payne rode it out in his house.  The last I heard from him, a few days ago, he still had no power and was told he might get power in a month.  My power came on 3 days ago.  This hurricane was a disaster for the city.  Just to give you an example of the enormity of destruction, here's a front and a side view of the Chase Bank branch where I used to deposit checks at the drive through and get cash out of the ATM.  That building used to have a high pitched roof above those columns.  As you can see from the sign on the fence they put around it, they are "temporarily" closed. :blink:

IMG_8648.jpg

IMG_8651.jpg

2 hours ago, Revolvgang said:

Small aid from Germany.....

Revolvgang we greatly appreciate you, thanks!

Hellbender

2 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

No insurance? 

Only liability, that's it.  No other insurance.  :(

3 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

$100 in the mail to you from Irish Pat, Red River Rudy, and Taco Bill.  The Natchez Sixgunners.

Thank you guys a lot!!! I hope to see all three of you at the LA State Match in November!

2 hours ago, Johnny Reno said:

PayPal inbound...best wishes from Nevada.

Thank you Johnny!!!!!

Archived