SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun rule question ( opening lever)

Shiner Bock Bob

The rule is question from page 41 or The Shooters Handbook 

The top opening lever on break action shotguns may be bent (re-profiled) by no more than ½" from the center of the tang to the outside edge of the lever.

My  father (lefthanded and myself (right handed) want to share a Stoeger coach gun that I already have. I'm fine with the lever in the stock configuration but he struggle to open in without moving his whole hand. 

My question is: Instead of bending the lever 1/2" inch could I add 1/2" of material to the left side. It wouldn't change anything for me but would give him the advantage of the 1/2 inch. 

I attached a simple drawing to help visualize what I'm trying to say.

My father is a design engineer by trade and can probably come up with something pretty slick that others might use if it's legal. 

Thanks for any input.

lever.JPG

Shooting left handed shotgun can be a problem.

There is a way to open the stock shotgun lever without bending it.

After firing the second shot, roll the shotgun on to it's left side while the thumb is on the lever.

This is while the shotgun is up on the shoulder or just leaving the shoulder.

Sort of looks like the shotgun has been rolled 90 degrees to the left from up right.

This forces the level on to the thumb pushing it all the way to open the shotgun.

Takes a little practice but is will get it done without fighting it and loosing time.

42 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Shooting left handed shotgun can be a problem.

There is a way to open the stock shotgun lever without bending it.

After firing the second shot, roll the shotgun on to it's left side while the thumb is on the lever.

This is while the shotgun is up on the shoulder or just leaving the shoulder.

Sort of looks like the shotgun has been rool 90 degrees to the left from up right.

This forces the level on to the thumb pushing it all the way to open the shotgun.

Takes a little practice but is will get it done without fighting it and loosing time.

Thanks! Ill have him give that a try.

I am a doulbe shooter. (with hammers)

I shoot both right and left handed.

I shoot unmodified slicked up guns.

I have taught others to get faster.

My opinion of the 97 pump is, it was made for left handers who wants to shoot fast.

You load right handed and you can see the port as you do it.

No tossing over the top and turning the 97 on it's side to see the port.

You can keep the stock on your shoulder while loading.

You can hold 2, 3 or 4 rounds in your right hand saving trips to the belt.

Women shoot a 97 better than a double if the stock is cut to fit.

None of this to the bent elbow stuff.

I found that making the stock 1" shorter than the bent elbow works really well.

It allows smaller people to reach the ejection port on the side of the shotgun.

No twisting the body to make your hand reach farther.

And yes, I have a couple 97s but prefer the doubles.

Doesn't mean I don't know how to use a 97. ;^)

No one seems to have fully answered your question, Correct what you suggest is not an aproved modification.  If you come up with something that you can make the case for you can apply for the approval for the modification the application can be found at

https://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/Modification ApplicationFORM.pdf

Not sure how common or simple the modification is, but a little while back somebody had a Stoeger SxS for sale that had the lever modified in a way that the gun could be opened by swinging the lever either way.  The OP might want to look into modifying the lever to be ambidextrous. 

Begin a southpaw, and just starting out in CAS shooting for me the 1897 came in as almost second nature... I had tried doubles and it was ok, the 87 was 50/50 as long as I didn't cause a train wreck (and I did....). When I went with the 97 my times just dropped! unfortunately 2nd wave of covid just cut my season short ( I am in Quebec and the matchs are in Ontario and there about to restrict inter provincial travel).  

Rather than worrying about the lever, change out the lever's spring so that it can be more easily opened. He'll probably have less trouble of he doesn't have to force it as hard. Most s/s opening levers have heavier-than-needed springs..

RR

Archived